Brown to green all day

Fullthrottle

Hey all.
I'm just curious from what I read that veiled chameleons change brown to soak up sun etc
Ive had mine about two weeks always nice green

I wrote a blog yesterday asking why my chameleons head looks shiny, oily, wet looking (still don't know, more of the direction of shedding it seemed :S)

I wrote all details, I have a red light at night I know it's bad for eyes and trouble sleeping, I said my temp is around 80s less in cooler spots but someone said I don't need that heat during night which I read about myself house usualy get to around 60-70.
There are times wife leaves windows open and it is winter spring here so it is cold.
Today I woke up to her waking up was nice and green about 20 mins of being up she went darker kinda like a brown and she's been going back to brown and green all day she's brown atm and I been leaving her Alone not wanting to bother her but would she still be warming up from the night 7hrs after waking up. I'm just curious cuz never seen her do that. Like should I put the light back for night or does she have to get use to cold nights and warm days, pet store got her from can't really trust them (only few places here and this one sells chams once it while, even though staff is un knowledgeable so don't know how she was treated her prior.
Thanks for reading any info would help and ur all great peeps
Forgot to say I took the light away yesterday she didn't have heat during the night

leave the lights off at night they need a temp drop at night and veiled can withstand temps lower than 50 so she is fine there. Seems to me like she is just shedding and i would assume this is the first time she has shed sense you got her!?

Absolutely no light at night.
Check out ceramic heat emitters if your getting below 50, but no light.

Sometimes they go dark to absorb heat, then back to green. Could be what's going on. It took about a month for my guy to really get in a predictable daily groove. He/she may still be adjusting.

leave the lights off at night they need a temp drop at night and veiled can withstand temps lower than 50 so she is fine there. Seems to me like she is just shedding and i would assume this is the first time she has shed sense you got her!?
Thanks for the reply
Yah she has never shedd and I hope that is all with the wetness lookingness
Her changing brown and green though is what's got me really wondering. I know they change off emotion or to bask that sun up but to change back and fourth all day is that normal. She's still really young I amuse 5-6tops. She's about 2 2 1/2 inch from mouth to tail. Her name is kharris

Absolutely no light at night.
Check out ceramic heat emitters if your getting below 50, but no light.

Sometimes they go dark to absorb heat, then back to green. Could be what's going on. It took about a month for my guy to really get in a predictable daily groove. He/she may still be adjusting.

Thanks for the reply
So after few weeks of her being in her cage and not change from green to brown back and forth. (I just checked on her she's green again) shell just start all sudden.
I did read veileds are famous for this and say if u want more of a colourful one to go with panther
Guess just tripps me out that she been green two weeks now I stoped the light last night and she been brown to green all day.

I would assume she is turning brown to absorb heat depending where she is in her cage. But if you are looking at her at the time, she could be turning brown because she is stressed by you looking at her. It generally gets better with time if the second reason is the cause.

Edit: She could also be doing it more often, because you are fussing about her more often and therefore looking at her more often than usual. This is strange for chameleons and any sort of change can throw them off, especially if they are relatively new.

I would assume she is turning brown to absorb heat depending where she is in her cage. But if you are looking at her at the time, she could be turning brown because she is stressed by you looking at her. It generally gets better with time if the second reason is the cause.

Edit: She could also be doing it more often, because you are fussing about her more often and therefore looking at her more often than usual. This is strange for chameleons and any sort of change can throw them off, especially if they are relatively new.

Thanks for the reply
I haven't overly checked on her just once in while like my daily routine with her

Thanks for the reply
Would make sense she is sitting in her basketing spot while doing the colour change and I haven't been checking her a day cuz I know they do get stressed eaisly so I have been leaving her alone since this morning and no traffic is near her either

Then definitely all normal ^^ in my opinion, unless she is acting sick in some other way, I wouldn't worry about it

Then definitely all normal ^^ in my opinion, unless she is acting sick in some other way, I wouldn't worry about it
Thanks alot
Sorry for some bad spelling here and there do try and re check and this new phone makes my life nearly impossible at times. Thanks

No issue, when my typing gets bad and I start leaving out words I am just tired, sometimes you can tell it's like near 1 am or later where I live because my entire post can be littered with missing words and huge spelling errors XD. I will come on after sleep and read it and then fix it in another post and apologize.

Edit: it usually happens most when I stay up too late trying to respond to situations I consider an emergency, that sometimes vet care can't get to fast enough, but it is possible for the person to stabilize the chameleon until vet care can happen.

Back
Top Bottom