brother and sister?

choc

If i bought a male and a female veiled chameleon from petco would they be brother and sister? Would anyone know

I am not sure how you would find info on lineage buying a chameleon third hand, but I would assume they would be related. I would imagine whomever Petco purchased the chameleons through sold them from a particular hatchling group. I wouldn't imagine much thought would be placed on the emphasis of bloodline variety.

I am not sure how you would find info on lineage buying a chameleon third hand, but I would assume they would be related. I would imagine whomever Petco purchased the chameleons through sold them from a particular hatchling group. I wouldn't imagine much thought would be placed on the emphasis of bloodline variety.
Thanks. I was thinking the same thing. I asked them but of course they didnt know anything. So i shouldn't breed them then

I would say for safety's sake, just don't breed them, since there is a definite possibility they could have come from the same clutch.

I meant no sense in risking it.....thought I would correct that SINCE I saw my mistake. Does that make sense? HA!

I meant no sense in risking it.....thought I would correct that SINCE I saw my mistake. Does that make sense? HA!
Yeah. I have another male and female that are brother and sister for sure so I'll just switch them. They are 2 months when do they start to breed?

Yeah. I have another male and female that are brother and sister for sure so I'll just switch them. They are 2 months when do they start to breed?

They can start from around 5 months, but it's best waiting till about 1 year old. More so the female.

You don't have to breed them. It won't affect their health not to. Consider how you'll care for and find homes for babies!

Are you keeping male and female together? They are getting old enough that they should be separated so as not to cause too much undo stress. If not please excuse my ignorance.

Are you keeping male and female together? They are getting old enough that they should be separated so as not to cause too much undo stress. If not please excuse my ignorance.
Yeah I have them seperated in one big cage that i built and split it in the middle but there's a little gap somewhere because my 5 months are always together on the same side. I don't understand because everyone says they don't like being together but mine always wanna be together

I'm sure the male wants to be with the female, but I'm sure if you could asked the female she would have nothing to do with it. All joking aside you should make sure they can't get together because at that age your female could become pregnant. For one she is really too young to go through that, and didn't you say they were related? Also it's a good idea to make sure they can't see each other either. I have one enclosure as well, but I separated it with a solid piece of plastic.

I'm sure the male wants to be with the female, but I'm sure if you could asked the female she would have nothing to do with it. All joking aside you should make sure they can't get together because at that age your female could become pregnant. For one she is really too young to go through that, and didn't you say they were related? Also it's a good idea to make sure they can't see each other either. I have one enclosure as well, but I separated it with a solid piece of plastic.
The female is the one always on the males side plus there's no prove they're related because when i bought them the male looked older and bigger I'm just being cautious but i will fix wherever the gap is so they can stay away

This is them together

Attachments

• 20151123_215341.jpg
    20151123_215341.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 164
  • 20151123_215341.jpg
    20151123_215341.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 181
The female is the one always on the males side plus there's no prove they're related because when i bought them the male looked older and bigger I'm just being cautious but i will fix wherever the gap is so they can stay away
Well even if the female did like being near the male she would eventually get pregnant. She would definitely not want anything to do with him at that point, but the male wouldn't care and would stress her out greatly. You will see if you ever breed them how she reacts to him after she has become gravid. even if they seam to enjoy one anothers company I would be willing to bet there is stress there. Chams don't always show what's going on, and they hide things very well until it's too late. It's really best to keep them separated, and not take the chance it's really not worth it. I'm speaking from experience so it's best not to let my mistakes become yours. I'm glad you are going to make sure they are separated, but make sure they can't see each other as well. Good luck :)

She might be on the male's side because the conditions might be better on that side of the cage. If they're near each other, it's not for company, more likely that that's a prime basking spot that both want to use.

Back
Top Bottom