Broken ribs?

Nryan1209

So about a few weeks ago, I’ve noticed these bumps on my chameleon's left side. I looked them up and they seem to be similar to chameleons who have broken ribs. He is very clumsy at times and has fallen off his cage a few times. He doesn't seem to be in pain though, as he always begs to come out of his cage and go in his tree. He eats, drinks, and poops normally. I have noticed him sleeping about an hour before his bedtime though, byI looked it up and found that it's normal. He never sleeps an hour before in his cage, only in his tree. Please let me know if it's time for a vet visit or not! I give him all his required supplements, and humidity, he is just a very clumsy chameleon!

Attachments

• 336B8310-9105-438E-A4FB-A69F1658339F.jpeg
    336B8310-9105-438E-A4FB-A69F1658339F.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 296
  • 4D17C8AF-CA66-43EF-9EAE-DA45314E3E97.jpeg
    4D17C8AF-CA66-43EF-9EAE-DA45314E3E97.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 150
  • E8453550-727A-4A81-8A0F-F713A1BF313C.jpeg
    E8453550-727A-4A81-8A0F-F713A1BF313C.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 154
  • EA613E8E-DEAB-4053-9642-3B940C61C24C.jpeg
    EA613E8E-DEAB-4053-9642-3B940C61C24C.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 149
Welcome to the forums! His falling could be a sign of Metabolic Bone disease or something else wrong with his health. Has he ever been taken to an experienced chameleon vet before? Also, off topic, but his cage seems to be set up incorrectly. If you could please fill out this form in as much detail as possible (including more pics of him, his lights, and his full cage- light to bottom), it’d be great! It’ll help us make sure everything is in tip-top shape, and you can take the filled out form with you to any vet appointments!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Welcome to the forums! His falling could be a sign of Metabolic Bone disease or something else wrong with his health. Has he ever been taken to an experienced chameleon vet before? Also, off topic, but his cage seems to be set up incorrectly. If you could please fill out this form in as much detail as possible (including more pics of him, his lights, and his full cage- light to bottom), it’d be great! It’ll help us make sure everything is in tip-top shape, and you can take the filled out form with you to any vet appointments!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
I doubt it’s mbd because I have all the right equipment and have been giving him the right stuff since I got him at 3 months and all of his limbs are correct shape, but here you go.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, male, about 10 months. 6 months in my care.
  • Handling - I only handle my cham when he begs to come out, he is used to me and crawls on my hand. I never force him or grab him.
  • Feeding - I feed my cham crickets and super worms as treats. I give him about 13 each feeding for crickets. I feed him every other day. I gut load the crickets with potatoes and bananas.
  • Supplements - Zoo med Reptivite with D3 ( every two weeks) and repti calcium every feed.
  • Watering - I have a little dripper. I list for 15 seconds and make sure cage is fully wet. Yes, I see him drinking because when he’s thirsty he will bite his dripper.
  • Fecal Description - His poop is brown with white endings. No, I haven’t had him tested for parasites yet.
  • History - The only history I know of is that I got him from a local pet store when he was around 3-4 months, and they seemed to take good care of him but I’m not too sure. When I said he falls I didn’t mean constantly but only once in a while just to be clearer.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen cage with 16 x 16 x 30 dimensions. ( I was planning on getting a bigger on soon.)
  • Lighting - I use a zoo med 75 Wt bulb for heating, and I use a zoo med UVB strip with a zoo med UVB light strip. I have lights turn on at 8 am and turn off at 8 pm.
  • Temperature - Basking spot is 85 degrees and floor is 75. Lowest overnight temp is 65. I measure these temperatures with a zoo med thermometer that’s ok the cage at all times.
  • Humidity - 75-80%. I maintain these levels by misting when needed. I have a digital hydrometer in the middle of the cage.
  • Plants - Bamboo, cherry blossom, and another one I can’t remember the name to but I made sure it was safe upon buying it.
  • Placement - It is placed in my room. It isn’t near any fans, vents, or high traffic areas. He is on my dresser so he is about 4 ft off the ground.
  • Location - Chicago, IL

Current Problem - Broken ribs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 124
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 131
I doubt it’s mbd because I have all the right equipment and have been giving him the right stuff since I got him at 3 months and all of his limbs are correct shape, but here you go.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, male, about 10 months. 6 months in my care.
  • Handling - I only handle my cham when he begs to come out, he is used to me and crawls on my hand. I never force him or grab him.
  • Feeding - I feed my cham crickets and super worms as treats. I give him about 13 each feeding for crickets. I feed him every other day. I gut load the crickets with potatoes and bananas.
  • Supplements - Zoo med Reptivite with D3 ( every two weeks) and repti calcium every feed.
  • Watering - I have a little dripper. I list for 15 seconds and make sure cage is fully wet. Yes, I see him drinking because when he’s thirsty he will bite his dripper.
  • Fecal Description - His poop is brown with white endings. No, I haven’t had him tested for parasites yet.
  • History - The only history I know of is that I got him from a local pet store when he was around 3-4 months, and they seemed to take good care of him but I’m not too sure. When I said he falls I didn’t mean constantly but only once in a while just to be clearer.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen cage with 16 x 16 x 30 dimensions. ( I was planning on getting a bigger on soon.)
  • Lighting - I use a zoo med 75 Wt bulb for heating, and I use a zoo med UVB strip with a zoo med UVB light strip. I have lights turn on at 8 am and turn off at 8 pm.
  • Temperature - Basking spot is 85 degrees and floor is 75. Lowest overnight temp is 65. I measure these temperatures with a zoo med thermometer that’s ok the cage at all times.
  • Humidity - 75-80%. I maintain these levels by misting when needed. I have a digital hydrometer in the middle of the cage.
  • Plants - Bamboo, cherry blossom, and another one I can’t remember the name to but I made sure it was safe upon buying it.
  • Placement - It is placed in my room. It isn’t near any fans, vents, or high traffic areas. He is on my dresser so he is about 4 ft off the ground.
  • Location - Chicago, IL

I think the possibility of MBD was mentioned because chameleons don't just "fall because they are clumsy". There is usually a reason behind the behavior indicating sickness, i.e. neurological issues, mbd, d3 toxicity, or some other illness.

Is your reptical with d3 or with out?

And unfortunately your enclosure is way too small and is set up incorrectly. ):

My feedback will be in bold.
Chameleon Info:
Do you weigh him?
Normally chameleons dont "beg" to come out. They like to be in their own space and usually only want to come out if they dont like something in their enclosure.
You can be giving him more of a variety. Potatoes is not a good gut loading option. Ill attach an image for proper gutloading and more bugs you can give your guy.
Is the repti calcium with or without D3?
Do you mist or having a misting system? He will bite his dripper? It should be in reach by him.

Cage Info:
He should of had a upgrade a while ago. 2x2x4 is min.
What type of UVB? 5.0 or 10.0? T5 or T8?
How many inches is your basking branch from the light? How many inches is your highest branch from the UVB( besides the basking branches if its the highest)?
This is way to high. It should be around 25-50% max. Overnight humidity can be 85%+
All of these are on the bottom of the cage and dosent benefit the chameleon. Get a pathos for the top and middle of the cage so he has coverage and dosent feel out in the open. I also see fake plants, remove them. He may eat them and become impacted and it will kill him.
  • Location - Chicago, IL
You need more branches and climbing areas for him. You need coverage and to remove the fake plants. If you would like you can attach the fake plants to the outside of the cage and that will create coverage and remove the risk of impaction. Its not normal for chameleons to just fall. The branches in his cage arent very stable and probably cant hold his weight. You'll need to upgrade his cage ASAP, I reccomend getting the dragon strand ledges. It makes it 100 times easier to hang plants and get stable branches.

I think the possibility of MBD was mentioned because chameleons don't just "fall because they are clumsy". There is usually a reason behind the behavior indicating sickness, i.e. neurological issues, mbd, d3 toxicity, or some other illness.

His calcium is without D3 I only give him D3 twice a month. I know it’s too small I’m waiting to buy a bigger one. I will remove all fake plants and replace them. He climbs on smooth surfaces and falls sometimes. I doubt it’s sickness like I’m sure chameleons fall sometimes in the wild. Like I said he’s only fallen two times in front of me.

His calcium is without D3 I only give him D3 twice a month. I know it’s too small I’m waiting to buy a bigger one. I will remove all fake plants and replace them. He climbs on smooth surfaces and falls sometimes. I doubt it’s sickness like I’m sure chameleons fall sometimes in the wild. Like I said he’s only fallen two times in front of me.
Thank you
@Nryan1209 ...are you talking about the little bumps in a row not far down the side from where the spine is

His calcium is without D3 I only give him D3 twice a month. I know it’s too small I’m waiting to buy a bigger one. I will remove all fake plants and replace them. He climbs on smooth surfaces and falls sometimes. I doubt it’s sickness because it’s only been a few times. I’m just asking about the bumbs.

My feedback will be in bold.
Chameleon Info:
Do you weigh him?
Normally chameleons dont "beg" to come out. They like to be in their own space and usually only want to come out if they dont like something in their enclosure.
You can be giving him more of a variety. Potatoes is not a good gut loading option. Ill attach an image for proper gutloading and more bugs you can give your guy.
Is the repti calcium with or without D3?
Do you mist or having a misting system? He will bite his dripper? It should be in reach by him.

Cage Info:
He should of had a upgrade a while ago. 2x2x4 is min.
What type of UVB? 5.0 or 10.0? T5 or T8?
How many inches is your basking branch from the light? How many inches is your highest branch from the UVB( besides the basking branches if its the highest)?
This is way to high. It should be around 25-50% max. Overnight humidity can be 85%+
All of these are on the bottom of the cage and dosent benefit the chameleon. Get a pathos for the top and middle of the cage so he has coverage and dosent feel out in the open. I also see fake plants, remove them. He may eat them and become impacted and it will kill him.
  • Location - Chicago, IL
You need more branches and climbing areas for him. You need coverage and to remove the fake plants. If you would like you can attach the fake plants to the outside of the cage and that will create coverage and remove the risk of impaction. Its not normal for chameleons to just fall. The branches in his cage arent very stable and probably cant hold his weight. You'll need to upgrade his cage ASAP, I reccomend getting the dragon strand ledges. It makes it 100 times easier to hang plants and get stable branches.
Thank you.

He fell because he was walking on the smooth surface of my dresser and slipped. This is why I don’t think it’s mbd. He only feel when he was on something smooth. I no longer allow him to walk on smooth stuff.

Can you guys email me with recommendations on plants and new branches I should get? This website is very confusing in my opinion. I love this little guy and I’ve already invested about $700 into him and I really don’t want to have him being tortured by my care. I thought I did all the research I could but I was obviously mistaken. Please contact me via email or Snapchat.
Email: [email protected]
Snapchat: n_ryan9
Thank you all!

How large are the crickets you feed him? I’ve attached the feeder and gutload charts below. Has he ever been to an experienced chameleon vet before? His misting sessions should be a minimum of 2-5+ minutes each time, preferably only in the morning and at night when the cage is cooler, if your humidity levels allow it. Also, his daytime humidity levels need to be between 30-50%. What your daytime humidity levels are right now are what his nighttime humidity levels should be. How far away is his basking branch from his heat and UVB bulbs (what strength and brand of fixture and bulb do you have for your UVB)? His basking temp needs to be measured with a digital thermometer with a probe, with the probe placed where his casque/top of his back is when he’s on his basking branch. The Exo Terra vines need to be removed and replaced ASAP as well! They can cause health issues with the debris that comes off of them. If the substrate isn’t bioactive, it needs to go ASAP, too, as it’s an impaction risk (as well as the fake plants, too, but you can hang the fake plants on the outside of his cage for added privacy)! For your cage, it needs TONS more plants (all live chameleon-safe and veiled-tested, I posted two charts below for them, also make sure to properly clean the plants off beforehand, too), multiple species and diameters of branches (no moss-covered dowels or branches from toxic or sap-producing trees), and vines (preferably all live, but fake ones that aren’t moss or Exo Terra can work if needed, like Fluker’s vines). This website has the most accurate and up-to-date info, so make sure to read through every module and the veiled species profile, as well as listen to as many podcasts as possible, from them!
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/
And here are two great cage set-up links!
https://chameleonacademy.com/setting-up-a-chameleon-cage/
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2012/04/how-to-set-up-proper-chameleon.html
Here’s a great plant link, as well!
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/

Attachments

• AA3AB99C-5E76-42EB-9A16-FB39CFEA51AD.jpeg
    AA3AB99C-5E76-42EB-9A16-FB39CFEA51AD.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 98E70BB5-21F9-4E64-B1A3-7C8287BAE040.jpeg
    98E70BB5-21F9-4E64-B1A3-7C8287BAE040.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 96
  • chameleon-gutload 2.jpg
    chameleon-gutload 2.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 74