breeding?

ChamFreak

Avid Member
I am trying to decide if you can breed cham's from same clutch ( brother and sister )
I can't find any information about this and would like to buy from same breeder but cant decide if babies will be deformed. Anyone know about this and have any sugestions on this matter?

I don't know about breeding chams, only about dogs :eek: I know that some times people will breed a male pup back to his mom to gain dominant traits. I've never heard of any one breeding siblings. and of course over back breeding can cause deformities in dogs. mostly mental illnesses & over agressiveness hence crazy pits and rotts. May I ask what you are trying to gain by breeding in the same clutch?

brad,

senegals, melleri, veilds, fichers, pygmys and panthers

lady,

I was just trying to get them from same breeder to ensure quality chams. It would be easier for me to buy same time and, from same person.

Some larger breeders might have multiple unrelated clutches. If I did not know the person though, I might worry that they really are from the same clutch.

You could always find a very nice male for now, and obtain a female later.

good idea. Whats the rush anyway, they dont breed until early spring correct? Any tips for breeding or incubators?

I thought so too. Funny thing is, I shoulda known better. My better half tried convincing me I was wrong.

I am trying to decide if you can breed cham's from same clutch ( brother and sister )
I can't find any information about this and would like to buy from same breeder but cant decide if babies will be deformed. Anyone know about this and have any sugestions on this matter?

I would really not recommend this at all! In ANY species of animal, inbreeding can cause deformities and defects. Reason being, any genes that are existing in either parent may not effect them, but is still there. If they are bred to a non-relative, chances are better that they wouldn't have this gene and it won't show up in the offspring, but if you breed to a close relative (especially brother or sister) they are close to guarenteed to have that gene too and when you breed two animals with that bad gene, chances are huge that the negative deformities or defects are going to be dominant in the offspring

Now, you can look at it the other way too, though. If you have a species with great genetics (nice colouring or nice conformation, etc) one would think that in the same way duplicating the same negative genes will cause a high probability of replicating the them, so too could you replicate the positive genes. This is where some breeders work with LINEBREEDING which is similar to inbreeding but using more distant relatives (say their grandparent possibly) to replicate the positive genes with less of a chance of negative genes also being reproduced. Many people also don't beleive in this but it is a slightly more ethical way to produce the good genetics you are looking for.

If you are not looking to replicate specific genetics and just want the ease of getting 2 chameleons from the same breeder, some good breeders offer a discounted package of 1.1 or 1.2 breeding sets with DIFFERENT genetics.

Back
Top Bottom