Breeding??

King4Zerg

I've been thinking about this it's not gonna happen for about a year but I was gonna ask how would I breed a male and female(I would have to buy one) chameleon I just want to know facts it's probably not gonna happen but I don't want my chameleon to die without babies. Please just facts of How-To nothing more cause It's gonna be like a year or two, I would have to get a female probably an adult cause it would take a while to raise her to breed :D but I might that means I would have to get her sooner though.

Honestly, breeding is a long process and requires lots of research, my advice is to go on to reliable chameleon information sources, or blogs and threads here, to learn more. You can also contact through private message some of the Veiled breeders here to learn more. Just out of curiosity, why do you want to breed? Breeding takes lots of time and commitment, and is a very expensive and complicated process. Not trying to dissuade you or anything, but if you decide to do so, just be ready. :)

I've been thinking about this it's not gonna happen for about a year but I was gonna ask how would I breed a male and female(I would have to buy one) chameleon I just want to know facts it's probably not gonna happen but I don't want my chameleon to die without babies. Please just facts of How-To nothing more cause It's gonna be like a year or two, I would have to get a female probably an adult cause it would take a while to raise her to breed :D but I might that means I would have to get her sooner though.
One trait all successful Cham keepers have is the ability to do their own research and apply what they learned. We are always here for you if you get stuck but ideally you should be doing your own research and attempt to solve any issues you have before you post a new thread.

Once you have done your research and think you have the answer then, yes, by all means ask the forum your question to confirm that you came to the correct conclusion. That is our mission here, to distribute the knowledge and experiences we have had individually to make the Cham keeping community as a whole more effective.

I’m defanitly not trying to discourage you from asking any question you may have, only encouraging you to walk on your own two feet. I think this is a good example of that old saying that we’ve all heard:

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But teach him to fish and he will eat for a lifetime...

Honestly, breeding is a long process and requires lots of research, my advice is to go on to reliable chameleon information sources, or blogs and threads here, to learn more. You can also contact through private message some of the Veiled breeders here to learn more. Just out of curiosity, why do you want to breed? Breeding takes lots of time and commitment, and is a very expensive and complicated process. Not trying to dissuade you or anything, but if you decide to do so, just be ready. :)

I want to learn as much as I can about chameleons that's why I'm on this site a couple hours a day and google, and YouTube trying to learn as much as I can about chameleons. I want to breed because it's a process you can learn more and more about chams. and If I learn it's to complex and hard to do I won't do it if it means harm to any chams I won't do it if my cham won't be happy, I won't do it if he or she get's sick or hurt because of it so if I'm not the right person to do it them so be it I won't!

I want to learn as much as I can about chameleons that's why I'm on this site a couple hours a day and google, and YouTube trying to learn as much as I can about chameleons. I want to breed because it's a process you can learn more and more about chams. and If I learn it's to complex and hard to do I won't do it if it means harm to any chams I won't do it if my cham won't be happy, I won't do it if he or she get's sick or hurt because of it so if I'm not the right person to do it them so be it I won't!
That's great that you want to be like a sponge, to absorb all sorts of information! I would be careful on youtube, there can be all sorts of misinformation on there! Breeding can be expensive, and demands lots of time and patience. To make it short, how much do you think it costs to feed daily for a week, 90 hungry babies?! You probably won't get that much from one breeding, but it could be a possibility. If you decide to go forward with this, it can definitely be a complicated task to take on!

That's great that you want to be like a sponge, to absorb all sorts of information! I would be careful on youtube, there can be all sorts of misinformation on there! Breeding can be expensive, and demands lots of time and patience. To make it short, how much do you think it costs to feed daily for a week, 90 hungry babies?! You probably won't get that much from one breeding, but it could be a possibility. If you decide to go forward with this, it can definitely be a complicated task to take on!
90 babies? What are you breeding! Also, feeding should be taking care of itself, especially if you're breeding.

90 babies? What are you breeding! Also, feeding should be taking care of itself, especially if you're breeding.
Females can retain sperm, and Veiled's are notorious for having very large clutches if you are not careful. Food can still be a problem, anything can, and getting the supplies and keeping so many food items alive and breeding can be less expensive than buying all the feeders, but expensive nonetheless.

I didn't know it was that much eggs, I guess I would get the Josh's Frogs thousand of pinheads or Fruit Fly's and a new enclosure for the babies but this is all theoretical. So the babies live even if there isn't a male to Fertilize it?

I didn't know it was that much eggs, I guess I would get the Josh's Frogs thousand of pinheads or Fruit Fly's and a new enclosure for the babies but this is all theoretical. So the babies live even if there isn't a male to Fertilize it?

They are fertilized by the male, just not at the time they are together. It is retained within the female and can be multiple clutches.

Do the babies live even if there is no male?

Yes, and there was a male, just that the male's sperm is saved up for a second clutch. There was a mating and the female has multiple sets of eggs. I'm not sure about the hatch rates of second clutches, but I'm sure that there are some experienced members that have input.

1000? Try 1000s, and 1000s lol,

Do the math, 1000 crickets is 20 per Cham, at 50 chams. That will last like a day.

You are also going to need Fruitflys and Pinheads, and other feeders too preferably.

Brody is just pointing out that, without even a basic knowledge of how reproduction works, this is not something to even be considering at this point. I believe the alarm bells were raised when you repeatedly asked whether unfertilized eggs can hatch... This is a very, very obvious "absolutely not, no, never" and a question which demonstrates a severe knowledge deficit on your end. If you don't even know how vertebrate reproduction works at the most basic level (sperm + egg = baby), then this is not something for you to even think about yet.

The world does not need more veiled chameleons. They are already being produced faster than they can be purchased. It is extremely expensive and difficult to raise baby chameleons. Just enjoy the chameleon that you have for all he has to offer. I don't understand why you say you wouldn't want him to die without having babies. I guarantee you, he does not care in the slightest whether or not he reproduces. You have only had this chameleon for a very short time anyways. Focus on making sure he is cared for properly instead of thinking about expanding your collection. One step at a time. If you are really serious about this, then go and do your own research using the plentiful resources on this website. Then come back with specific questions when you have an idea of how the whole process works. There's no need for our tempers to be flaring.

I don’t wanna discourage you but as others have pointed out you need to really think about everything.

Where are you going to keep the babies?
How are you going to sell them?
What are you going to do with 40+ babies if you can’t sell them?
Are you ready to buy 10,000 crickets a week? And can you afford them?
Can you afford the vet bills that come with owing a female?
Have you researched the various problems that can happen with females?

And much much more.

As others have said just that fact that you are asking if an infertile egg can hatch says that you have not done enough research.

Why would you want to breed veiled chams? There is already way to many.

Back
Top Bottom