Breeding two different species?

Serbianchameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
Is it possible to breed two different species of chameleons. Like panther x veiled or panther x parsons or veiled x parsons and so on? Just to be clear I am not planning on doing that at all. I am just curios can that happen and what would babies look like if it is possible?

Is it possible to breed two different species of chameleons. Like panther x veiled or panther x parsons or veiled x parsons and so on? Just to be clear I am not planning on doing that at all. I am just curios can that happen and what would babies look like if it is possible?
Generally speaking...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Species
A species is often defined as the largest group of organisms in which any two individuals of the appropriate sexes or mating types can produce fertile offspring, typically by sexual reproduction.
There are exceptions. Also, don't confuse species with locales (which are of the same species, so can cross-breed).

cross-breeding chameleons (search)

Theoretically they would have to be closely related to produce off spring and very closely related to have those offspring thrive and even closer to have them be capable of reproducing. The odds are not in your favor with species from different regions.
I understand your curiosity glad you aren't planning something irresponsible.

I've only heard of oust/panther, which IDT did well. Speaking of locales, there was some info showing they may actually be slightly different species. Not sure what ever came of that though.

Last edited:
There have been some successful hybridization in raptors. Specifically Harris hawk x Golden Eagle. The Harris Hawk ,Parabuteo unicintus, and the Golden Eagle,Aquila chryseatos, are not even in the same order. I believe some folks from Canada are responsible for this. Im not sure if the offspring are viable and I cant have one here in the US, due to the Lacey Act. Heres a link...
https://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2010/11/golden-eagle-x-harris-hawk.html?m=1

There have been some successful hybridization in raptors. Specifically Harris hawk x Golden Eagle. The Harris Hawk ,Parabuteo unicintus, and the Golden Eagle,Aquila chryseatos, are not even in the same order. I believe some folks from Canada are responsible for this. Im not sure if the offspring are viable and I cant have one here in the US, due to the Lacey Act. Heres a link...
https://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2010/11/golden-eagle-x-harris-hawk.html?m=1
Very interesting as I am a retired falconer. Too old now and not enough hunting territory.

Very interesting as I am a retired falconer. Too old now and not enough hunting territory.
I also am a falconer. Getting a bit slower with age and may go back to a tiercel peregrine. Great to meet a fellow falconer! This is from last Christmas.

Attachments

• 20191226_170920.jpg
    20191226_170920.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 69
I also am a falconer. Getting a bit slower with age and may go back to a tiercel peregrine. Great to meet a fellow falconer! This is from last Christmas.
Nice picture. Brings back good memories. I flew a Harris for years in southern Calif.
I'll leave this thread alone. Sorry for interupting😎

Back
Top Bottom