Breeding start up

Kiwiflage

Established Member
Just wanted to pick the brains of experienced handlers and breeders of an appropriate start up panther breeding size. I have a full spare bedroom to dedicate to these guys and I'm working on a free range next to the window. I'm thinking on male to 3 females to start. I don't want to overload myself!

Thoughts?

I'm not an experienced breeder, but I am planning to start with just one male and one female. Since panthers can easily produce 30-40 eggs, I imagine you would at least only want to breed one pair first to get an idea of what it is like. From my understanding the hardest part is making sure you always have enough food, which would no doubt be easiest to get the hang of when starting small.

I also am not an expert, but I agree with sharp. I originally planned on starting with 1 male and 2 females. I bred the first female with plans to breed the second six months later. I thought this would give me a near constant supply of eggs, since my first female laid a clutch every 6 weeks from a single breeding. I am now holding off on breeding a second female until after all 88 of the eggs hatch. It has started to set in just how much work these little ones are going to be. I am not sure I will be able to handle more right now. I want to get the hang of raising the little ones and then I will decide if it is something I want to continue.

I would take it easy to start, then after you have raised all the young successfully from the first clutch, add to your breeding program. If you take on too much all at once, it is the chameleons that will suffer for it.

Good luck! It has been a fun experience so far, but the real work will begin for me in the next couple of months.

I appreciate both inputs immensely! I probably should have stated that I have been through several lurches with veileds with great success due to a local reptile shop I have a good relationship with. That being said. I am retiring my veileds so I don't put unnecessary stress on a "seasoned" couple. I believe I can balance multiple well from my experience. The food is a huge reminder of just how much these little guys need. I may start with two for now.... Thanks for your help guys! Any other input is appreciated. Any comments on home-sustaining food for newborns?

Sounds like you have a lot more experience than me :) Veileds usually have larger clutches so panthers will probably be easier for you. I know you can produce hydei fruit flies and crickets for food, but those are the only two I am aware of.

if you have a handle on breeding veileds, then panthers should be no problem. Most people use fruit flies for new born panthers but i just go with pin heads from the start. flies are small and less filling. Its pretty easy to breed your own pinheads as well

Back
Top Bottom