breeding or just trying to introduce two potential mates

eldunson

I believe my 8 month old female high white piebald veiled chameleon named opera is ready to have a mate introduced.I intend to house them with a duel chameleon paradise set up in the future they are housed separately currently. Any ideas on how to successful would be greatly appreciated.

It would have to be a decent sized green house so she can leave any tree(ficus) that he claims once she is no longer receptive. Injury will ensue

when you say division what would you suggest ? i intended to dedicate a room to them and provide ample basking spots and water sources

A cage big enough for you and 5 others to camp in. Filled with trees (visual barriers) and shrubs plants ect.

I believe my 8 month old female high white piebald veiled chameleon named opera is ready to have a mate introduced.I intend to house them with a duel chameleon paradise set up in the future they are housed separately currently. Any ideas on how to successful would be greatly appreciated.

I'd hold off on breeding until Opera is ~1 year old and/or has laid her first infertile clutch before breeding her. She's technically still growing, and this would be better for her in the long run. :)

You had it right when you said "duel chameleon paradise" as that would be exactly it... a duel. After the female has mated she'll be done with the male for about 6 months (or more if something is amiss). However, after about a month, or likely a few weeks, the male will be ready again. I'm not as up on my veiled knowledge, but I know panthers are territorial out to about 20-30ft or so - they have surprisingly awesome vision! I know after a pairing of my panthers, the female will retreat and the male will sometimes pursue her. I usually keep an eye on them via a wifi camera and separate them at this point as the female will darken and gape, rejecting the male.

It's my understanding [limited understanding of course] that the greenhouse method is better suited to having 1-2 males and many more females. I haven't really done much research on it however as I determined if I was going a greenhouse route, I'd still design some sort of barrier - be it large cages, dividing walls, curtains, etc.

While it may ultimately be possible to keep a breeding pair together, the overall result on the females health with be substantial. (producing fertile clutches is quite hard on them, I try to skip at minimum one cycle between pairings).

My male and female share a hutch that is solidly divided. Next month, that will change. I don't know what sense it is, but I'm positive that they know each other is next door.

This is based on my limited knowledge and experience. Whatever you decide, best of luck.

I have since separated them! Opera is much happier and has laid a clutch of fertile eggs in late feb. !! We have them incubating currently!

I try to skip at minimum one cycle between pairings).

Just remember that chameleons can store sperm for 2 or 3 clutches, so taking a break every other clutch just means you may be discarding viable eggs.

Not trying to insult, just giving you a "Head's Up!". I agree totally about the effects of back to back, rapid clutches on females. It can shorten the life of a female panther dramatically if you overfeed, keep her too warm, and breed her constantly. We are talking clutches about every 2 months, and she is not going to make it much past the 6th clutch. I feel guilty, but I learned my lessons the hard way long ago. Not sure if it's the same for veils or other varieties, but I am thinking that the basics are at least similar enough to take into consideration.

Thanks I wont go back to back we aren't trying to be egg hounds or anything. It my first time breeding and have been doing research so I appreciate the heads up.

Back
Top Bottom