Breeding Operation

I don't know that you would get rich, but obviously people make a living off of breeding panthers. Look at the Chameleon Company, they've been at it as their sole bread and butter for something like 15 years now and run an enormous operation. Obviously something is working. Whether they're rolling in the big bucks is for them to tell us, but clearly they're doing alright. You couldn't maintain a few thousand animals without making money back, and then you couldn't do it for long without making a profit.

Yeah I was talking with Jim earlier in the week, and he is slammed with females and eggs he said. I guess that would be a potential risk when importing, you buy a shipment and you get whats in the shipment be it male/female miss labeled and all various scenarios.

Then what do you do, thin the egg count or incubate them all and deal with the hatchings as they come. Your talking about alot of heated/cooled space to run an operation of that size, room for massive colony of feeders, for breeders, babies/juvies and one for imports (quarantine). I would say you would definitely earn your money trying to manage all of that daily.

Round trip plane tickets to Madagascar are about $1,500 each, and a pair of binoculars lol get a potato sack and some off! and your good to go!

Who has the legalities on PDF for import/export of exotic reptiles? Would really like to know.
If people in Africa are doing it pretty sure I could

Who has the legalities on PDF for import/export of exotic reptiles? Would really like to know.
If people in Africa are doing it pretty sure I could

Except you don't have the proper lisence to go obtain them. It is possible to do, but why? If there are already people importing, why not just buy ones that are already out of the wild instead of pulling more out...?

-Chase

Except you don't have the proper livened to go obtain them. It is possible to do, but why? If there are already people importing, why not just buy ones that are already out of the wild instead of pulling more out...?

-Chase

Yeah I gotta agree, you are risking a failed operation because of the stress, parasites, and ultimately shortened life of the chams that you will be importing. Also, I believe just going out there and catching them is some type of poaching, but I may be wrong.

Round trip plane tickets to Madagascar are about $1,500 each, and a pair of binoculars lol get a potato sack and some off! and your good to go!

Ok, Now be honest you dont actually think a country that relies on its fauna & natural resources for a substantial amount of their economy is going to let a FOREIGNER from the U.S. just hop a plane and go catch some chams and hop back on home with all their new chams. :rolleyes: If you do then you dont need to start a breeding operation because you know nothing about the legalities of exotic animal imortation & exportation. For starters you'd need a permit from Maddy to become a collector. Which Im sure they dont issue to non residents. Then to get them out of the country their are export permits and fees to be paid. Then if you got that far there are cites licenses to import them into the states and more fees.

If it were really that easy like you stated more of us would just take a vacation to the island and return with all the rare locales we could find.

If it were really that easy like you stated more of us would just take a vacation to the island and return with all the rare locales we could find.

And chameleons would be virtually extinct in the wild, maybe almost everywhere due to the morons that know nothing about chameleons that would try to catch them.

Yeah I gotta agree, you are risking a failed operation because of the stress, parasites, and ultimately shortened life of the chams that you will be importing.

This is exactly why I asked why you wanted to start with imports. It's not just about getting new genetics (which is sketchy enough as it is when doing it that way). I asked to see if you considered the increased risks and ultimately costs associated with newly imported wild caught chams. It doesn't really matter if you have '14 chams that are of 5 species' (Why does your sig only add up to 9 from 3? I have 9 from 4 species btw) because fresh imports require different care than your cb or LTC chams, and they often do not do as well. The costs of importation alone can cripple your profits from what I understand, and that's not even mentioning vet bills that will be associated with acclimating the new chams. The stress of acclimation is enough to kill your nice expensive imports, especially if you don't know what you're doing. That should be a serious consideration if you are actually planning to spend considerable money on a new operation. It sounds like you have a lot more research to do before you decide to pull the trigger on this.

So the money is in importing them then?

Please go try to make your fortune elsewhere instead of at the expense of animals.

Last edited:
I say leave the importation to the experts doing it already, they have done the homework and learned what to do and not to do to help the cham's acclimate.

I would talk with Jim @ Chameleon Co. Just go thru him to get some wc's. I think he told me he only gets the popular locales since they are easier to sale. However if your looking to go big, then he is the man to help you get the stock you need I think.

But wc are not as ez to maintain as cb, they are loaded in parasites and need to be treated and thats costly for each one, then the parasite med's make them infertile for 6 months so thats down time your just feeding them and unable to breed them. Then there is the mortality increase of failed adjustment to captivity.

come on

Really?
Who could picture a white guy running around in the jungles of Mady with a potato sack catching chameleons... come on.
Not looking for fame and fortune from chameleons, just thought an interesting thread would spark randomness, which it did,
And to those saying how hard it would be to obtain legalities such as permits.... in africa... where there are 4 different civil wars being fought at the moment... come on,
We all know ya go there and your come back in a potato sack :D

But wc are not as ez to maintain as cb, they are loaded in parasites and need to be treated and thats costly for each one, then the parasite med's make them infertile for 6 months so thats down time your just feeding them and unable to breed them.

This is the second time I've seen somene say this. Where did this myth come from? It's false. The dewormers do not cause infertility for any amount of time.

I say leave the importation to the experts doing it already, they have done the homework and learned what to do and not to do to help the cham's acclimate.

I would talk with Jim @ Chameleon Co. Just go thru him to get some wc's. I think he told me he only gets the popular locales since they are easier to sale. However if your looking to go big, then he is the man to help you get the stock you need I think.

But wc are not as ez to maintain as cb, they are loaded in parasites and need to be treated and thats costly for each one, then the parasite med's make them infertile for 6 months so thats down time your just feeding them and unable to breed them. Then there is the mortality increase of failed adjustment to captivity.

Yeah that's is not true and I have eggs and babies and babies hatching right now from a females that was on dewormer and a anti coccidia drug and no ill things came from it to her or the eggs or the babies...... Actually the eggs from the mother why she was on those meds are way healthier looking then my cb females and all hatch just fine.....

I'm not sure why he thinks that as I have never seen anything to even hint at supporting that. Maybe he's had some bad experiences, but I think other factors were involved more than the dewormers.

I'm not sure why he thinks that as I have never seen anything to even hint at supporting that. Maybe he's had some bad experiences, but I think other factors were involved more than the dewormers.

Yes I think so to like maybe malnutrition of the fresh wc female ect. Because I have documented pics of my wc females from the day I got her meds I had to give her and clutches and babies pictured on this thread and they are all doing fine and I got a 100% hatch rate and all the babies are a 100% healthy to.

Back
Top Bottom