Breeding mt Meru Jackson's. help please

jojothefirst

I have successfully breed a few different species of chameleon but I can not get my male to take a interest in any of my 3 females!
Things I've tried:
I have put him with all 3.
I have waited until the weather has got hotter and allowed them to live outside.
I've tried long showers.
I keep him with 1 of the girls as they get on without issue so I've tried separating them for a few days and reintroducing them.

None have worked!

And suggestion welcome.

They are all roughly 1 and a half years old and in perfect health.

I wish I could offer some advise. My Males are always ready to mate and when the females are receptive mating is never a problem.

I keep them out of view of one another and introduce the male to the females cage.

Last edited:
it happens with all species of chameleons. make sure he is separated from the girls. show him another male so he feels threaten. give it a little time, and magic will happen after that.

Are you sure your females aren't already gravid? If they are wild caught chances are they are already gravid.

Carl

They live together..... 2 females live with each other and the male lives either with the 2 females or the lone female.

When they live together in confinement, after awhile all they see is "chopped liver". The males need to be deprived of the sight of them for awhile. They get used to avoiding each other and the male may not recognize when the female is ready.

Have you tried some Barry White?
Lol
it happens with all species of chameleons. make sure he is separated from the girls. show him another male so he feels threaten. give it a little time, and magic will happen after that.
I haven't got another male to show him :-/
Are you sure your females aren't already gravid? If they are wild caught chances are they are already gravid.

Carl
They are captive bred
When they live together in confinement, after awhile all they see is "chopped liver". The males need to be deprived of the sight of them for awhile. They get used to avoiding each other and the male may not recognize when the female is ready.

I will try this. How long would you suggest leaving them apart?

I will try this. How long would you suggest leaving them apart?

At least a couple weeks. You can still show the female to him to see if they are ready, just don't house them together full time.

IIRC there was a study I found somewhere that showed decreased male hormones when housed together.

Action Jackson has far more experience and success with the merumontanus than myself so definitely take whatever breeding and rearing specifics about the species from him. That said, I have worked with several species from East Africa, many of which can live communally during parts of the year but I had better success during breeding season if I separated my pairs with no sightlines leading up to it. I also found that breeding was tied to seasonal variation(s) and would only mate in the spring.

Here is a brief run down of how I kept my crew and when I separated mine. Maybe you will find some of it helpful with your group.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/trace/780-random-musings-seasonal-cycling.html

Did you get these from Jullian? If you did he could tell you how he is keeping his.

Carl

Back
Top Bottom