breeding madagascar hissing cocroaches

Alick

Good day,this is my first post here,just want to know if someone can help me with madagascar hissing roaches,I want to breed them to feed to my veiled and beardie,how long do they take to mature?thanks

http://www.nyworms.com/hissercare.htm

A few things:
#1 hissers are HUGE and can weigh up to an ounce for a female. Adults cant be fed off.
#2 adults live for 2-3 years
#3 they are slow breeders, you are talking 2-3 batches of 30 babies a year

Other than that they are great and are fun to poke:D

I would suggest a few alternatives:

Good Old Blaptica dubia. live 6 months to a year. Same setup as hissers (cant climb, live bearing, tropical). Dubia will reproduce at triple the rate of hissers, and are 1/3 the weight. Adult males can be fed off, and if you have a monster cham, even the females.

Discoids. Same setup and live bearing as the other 2. Reproduce at double the rate of hissers. Adult males can be fed off to monster chams (about 2/3 the weight of hissers, males are about the size of female dubia).

Also for adjusting output, if you keep any of these at 70-75F they will stop breeding but be perfectly healthy. I even kept my dubia at 65F the whole week with one day in the 80's to help with digestion. Didnt produce one baby for 4 months over the winter, and they barely at anything.

I don't totally agree. Yes Dubia area great, but nothing wrong with hissers. I'd suggest having both, if you can.

Adults can be fed off, if freshly moulted and you are feeding a large chameleon (an adult male veiled). But even if you couldn't feed off adults its no big deal, since you'll use the sub-adults.

They can easily live 5 years, breeding for several of those.

They are much easier to gutload than every other roach I've got - they will eat readily and heartily of a wider range of foods

they breed just fine. Not as prolific as Dubia, or Turks, true. But that's no problem is it? just have a few more adult breeding females than you would with dubia.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/madagascar-hissing-roach-14584/

Wife say yes to chameleon, NO to cockroach.
Cricket no problem, roach big problem. I want to try roach for chameleon food.

I don't totally agree. Yes Dubia area great, but nothing wrong with hissers. I'd suggest having both, if you can.

Adults can be fed off, if freshly moulted and you are feeding a large chameleon (an adult male veiled). But even if you couldn't feed off adults its no big deal, since you'll use the sub-adults.

They can easily live 5 years, breeding for several of those.

They are much easier to gutload than every other roach I've got - they will eat readily and heartily of a wider range of foods

they breed just fine. Not as prolific as Dubia, or Turks, true. But that's no problem is it? just have a few more adult breeding females than you would with dubia.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/madagascar-hissing-roach-14584/

Are there more than one hissing cockroach?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-gcdbG2tk8

You have your blog saying a veiled can eat one,and they weigh .3 ounce. The ones in the video are not even close to that weight. The ones in the video are the ones i had, and they are double the size of my oust's head!

Hey guys,thanks for the info,really appreciate it,I am gonna try to breed them,but I am thinking about also getting some of those dubia roaches because these hissers of mine is still a bit young now,and will take a while to mature and breed,so yeah,but thanks again!;)

I started out with about 15 adult females and 5 adult males. They finally had some babies, but I must say they were a little neglected for a while. I moved them from the tupperware box into my not-being-used screen cage. The adults were moving about, but since I moved them, i've had about 5 adults die off. Not sure why. Worst though, the babies found the tiny space between the screen door and hinge. I now have babies everywhere in the garage!

I broke the bad news to my Filipino RN girlfriend thinking she was gonna freak out. She took a look at the baby crawling on the wall and the adult in the cage and said "Mehh, I've seen bigger ones in my house in the Philippines."

Lol.

I suppose in a sealed cage, at a higher temp, with regular food and water, they would do really well. But I agree that lobsters are much faster and eat just about as much. Problem is they are super fast!

Back
Top Bottom