Breeding brother and sister

Oglax21

Hi i was just wondering if it is bad to breed a male and female panther chameleon that are brother and sister? Ive read that the babies can die right after the hatch an come out deformed. if anyone knows please let me know thanks.

Yes.

it can cause deformities and serious issues, just like it could if you bred with your sibling.

is there a chance they could come out perfectly fine?

Yea theres a chance.. but why risk it?

Would you rather have a clutch of 20 babies with only 5 mutated, what about 10?

but why would you breed related panthers?

There are so many breeders out there.

im not trying to at all. It just might happen because i have both of them in the same cage untill saturday, thats when i split them up.

You need to separate them now.

The female could be already sexually mature.

why are they together in the first place?

The cage is pretty big and i thought they would be fine for a couple months but ever sense a few days ago they seemed very stressed and the female has a very dark color now. So i decided to buy a whole new setup for her.

she never should have been with him.

it doesnt matter how big the cage seems.

Unless the cage is a minimum of 5 ft x 5 ft x 5 ft its never big enough.

and shes stressed because her brother is probably trying to breed with her.

chams are NOT social creatures. they live alone until they are to be bred.

Yeah they need to be separated. I have also seen pretty bad aggression at that age. The female can get pretty badly injured.

Never breed siblings! Too dangerous and risky. Would you breed with your siblings? Think about it be a responsible owner.

Hi i was just wondering if it is bad to breed a male and female panther chameleon that are brother and sister? Ive read that the babies can die right after the hatch an come out deformed. if anyone knows please let me know thanks.

And if you're worried about their offspring, there's no reason you have to incubate any eggs she lays from this. If you're worried about any possible genetic risk just destroy and toss the eggs.

Yes they can mutate very easy.
The sad truth is breeders have been doing it for many years with other species of lizards. Leopard geckos and bearded dragons are a great example of it. Look at all the different colors and sizes they have. Bearded dragons have no spikes.
Those are all mutations of line breeding.
However these lizards all live together and inbreed in the wild to begin with.
Chams do not. They want their space from 1 another.

What can you mutate from a chameleon that's gonna make it better?
I'm pretty sure breeders have tried in the past with bad results.

Chameleons are not a new pet to the hobbyist. If people are telling you don't do it, don't do it.

No, No, No. Its completely a HUGE bad idea. Get that new enclosure set up, and everyone will be happier.

Yes they can mutate very easy.
The sad truth is breeders have been doing it for many years with other species of lizards. Leopard geckos and bearded dragons are a great example of it. Look at all the different colors and sizes they have. Bearded dragons have no spikes.
Those are all mutations of line breeding.
However these lizards all live together and inbreed in the wild to begin with.
Chams do not. They want their space from 1 another.

What can you mutate from a chameleon that's gonna make it better?
I'm pretty sure breeders have tried in the past with bad results.

Chameleons are not a new pet to the hobbyist. If people are telling you don't do it, don't do it.

I wish i new that before i bought both of them but whatever i'm never going to breed them i don't want deformed babies.

Back
Top Bottom