Brazilian pepper

Ramrod

Chameleon Enthusiast
I have a large section of Brazilian pepper tree that I am considering using as a free range tree. All the leaves have been removed and just bare limbs remain. I have read that the berries are dangerous but wondering if the bare limbs are ok for climbing?
Any thoughts on this?😕

"[Brazilian Pepper Trees] are members of the same family as poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac. Any part of the plant can cause skin irritation for certain individuals."
(Brazilian Pepper-Trees - Ponce Inlet) It's from a .pdf so cannot share the link for this one.

I couldn't find much else on which parts of the Brazilian pepper tree cause irritants. But since they are related to poison oak:
"...you can get poison oak in the winter [without coming in contact with the leaves] as the plant oil is present in the stems and is potent all year round!"
https://www.openspace.org/visit-a-preserve/plants-wildlife/poison-oak

The irritants are not just in the leaves but also in the stem. The pepper tree doesn't seem to be as potent as poison oak, but I'm not sure I would risk it.

As a counterpoint, I don't think anyone really knows if chams are affected by poison oak, poison ivy, poison sumac, or Brazilian pepper trees. But to counter the counter, you are going to be the one who brings your chameleon back and forth from the free-range, so if your skin gets irritated from the Brazilian pepper tree, then this might not be a good idea.

In my opinion, I think it is best to stay away from potential irritants. And if anything did arise from it, such as irritated feet, good luck trying to wash your chams feet.

Thanks all for your input. I have cut,trimmed,broken branches and picked up leaves many times from the tree and never had any reaction other than a stiff back😧 I think I will pass on using it just for the fact it is unknown about its effect on chams. It will save me some work because it is so difficult to put socks on him.😉

Back
Top Bottom