Brand new Jackson’s chammy

Chammy007

Established Member
Hello, Ultimately I decided to go with a Jackson’s chameleon. I brought him home yesterday. His name is Remmy. Ive read that silk worms and Phoenix worms are beneficial to a Jackson’s diet. He hasn’t eaten any yet. He’s basically spending his time under the basking bulb. He has pooped twice. His dishes are on the bottom/floor of the enclosure. Any suggestions?How to feed?what to feed?thanks much.

@JacksJill is very knowledgeable about Jackson's chameleons. In the meantime, please fill this out-
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

hello, here‘s the questionnaire.
Your chameleon - Jackson’s Chammy, male, not sure of age, he’s 7” head to tale. I’ve had him for a day.
Handling - I avoid handling as i’ve read not to.
Feeding - i tried feeding him since yesterday and he’s not eating. I tried feeding him Phoenix and silk worms. Ten of each. Not on any specific feeding schedule yet.
Supplements - Have not added any supplements yet.
Watering - My Mistking just arrived today
Fecal Description - Heres a pic of his poop. Initially it was slightly watery.
188E4952-B8B5-4E62-BE5C-47EF8821A161.jpeg

History - I’ve only had him for a day.

CAGE INFO:

Cage Type -
I have THIS Zen Habitats enclosure 24”x24”x48”
Lighting - Zoo Med Reptisun 5.0 UVB
- Flukers fixture w/standard 3 way 120v bulb for basking.
Temperature - 84 degrees under basking
- 72 degrees on floor
- Using a thermometer by Acurite like THIS
Humidity - 21% using the same Acurite
Plants - For now I have 2 money trees. I have a Braided Benjamina Ficus tree and a few Maidenhair Fern plants coming next week.
Placement - The terrarium is in a furnished basement where I spend most of my day. The height of the terrarium is 48” tall.
Location - I reside in MT
Current Problem - My Chammy isn’t eating yet. I’m trying to feed him silk worms and Phoenix worms with no luck. I bought some crickets too. How exactly should I feed him the crickets? Just place them in the terrarium?
Below are the pics of Remmy and the enclosure.

B7DE7413-4692-4F1C-978E-D8DC032AF803.jpeg

BBEF6A16-896A-4BAA-A499-5EE96BA67458.jpeg

He's going to need a lot more plants to feel safe enough to eat or do much of anything. When you get a bunch more plants and branches in there move the feeding cup up to at least mid cage. They don't hunt the bottom of the cage very often. I will come back and help with a husbandry review later. For now run don't walk to get him some plants to live in and reduce his stress. Try Home Depot, Lowes and Walmart. Some grocery stores even sell house plants. I recommend all of these except hibiscus to start you off. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/plants/

Here is a sample of what his cage should look like plant wise those these are were a bit skimpy at the time due to replanting. Notice the feeders are at mid cage level but higher is fine if that's where he hangs out.

Attachments

• IMG_2450.jpg
    IMG_2450.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 98
He's going to need a lot more plants to feel safe enough to eat or do much of anything. When you get a bunch more plants and branches in there move the feeding cup up to at least mid cage. They don't hunt the bottom of the cage very often. I will come back and help with a husbandry review later. For now run don't walk to get him some plants to live in and reduce his stress. Try Home Depot, Lowes and Walmart. Some grocery stores even sell house plants. I recommend all of these except hibiscus to start you off. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/plants/
Hey, thanks. I tried Home Depot, Lowe’s, and Walmart. They didn’t have any. I’ll check the local plant nursery’s today. How about feeding him crickets?

Hey, thanks. I tried Home Depot, Lowe’s, and Walmart. They didn’t have any. I’ll check the local plant nursery’s today. How about feeding him crickets?
Hes gonna need some more sticks also. I just go to the park and take sticks and then cut them to fit in the cage

More specifically where should I place the crickets? The floor of the terrarium? Closer to the top under the uvb and basking bulbs.And how many crickets per serving?thanks

I put my crickets in a Shooting Gallery feeder. It keeps them in one spot on the screen and they don't end up under the plant pots. You can just let them go on the sides of a screen cage. For your cage you can hang s tall cup down below the basking branch.

Should I use the shooting gallery feeder for worms as well? If so should I use two separate feeders? One for crickets and one for worms?thanks

I just tong feed when it comes to worms or just hand feed because they tend to suction to the sticks and stuff in chameleon cages
Personally, I never tong feed. I have seen so many horror stories about the chameleon injuring its tongue from the tong. I either hand feed, cup feed, or use my feeder runs. Ultimately it is up to you, of course.

I hand feed on a spoon or a place them on a large flat leaf so they can't get a strong grip.
Hello again. The leaves of my plants aren’t very big. Any plants you’d recommend? I have a Braided Benjamina Ficus Tree, a couple Money Trees, not sure what the two other plants are. But they’re Chammy safe. I also have four himalayan maidenhair ferns coming this week.Here’s an updated pic of my terrarium below.
D3D9C312-A6F3-4800-B9F4-A29ADCC4BBC4.jpeg

Hello again. The leaves of my plants aren’t very big. Any plants you’d recommend? I have a Braided Benjamina Ficus Tree, a couple Money Trees, not sure what the two other plants are. But they’re Chammy safe. I also have four himalayan maidenhair ferns coming this week.Here’s an updated pic of my terrarium below.
View attachment 300165
Umbrella plant, pothos, spider plant, mass cane plant, monstera deliciosa 🙂 the monstera has big leaves btw if that's what you are looking for.

Hello, my Chammy finally ate some Phoenix worms today. The worms were placed in a dish. I can’t get him to eat from my hand yet These creatures are majestic and amazing to watch. Any tips on how to get him to eat from my hand?thanks much

Back
Top Bottom