Brand New Cham Owner

Spikethecham

Hi all! My son got a chameleon for Christmas from Santa. Think we’ve finally got cage set up to where he feels safe, and we’ve got him eating regularly. The only thing I’m not sure about it water. We’ve been misting the cage 3-4 times a day, and have a dropper dropping water onto a leaf. I’ve only seen the chameleon, Spike, drink once. How do I know if he’s drinking enough? Thanks in advance!

Hi there and welcome to the forum... If this is your first chameleon then I would recommend filling out this form by copy pasting it. This will ensure that you were not only given the correct info but the correct supplies. Pictures of the entire enclosure lighting down and the cham are helpful as well.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hi there and welcome to the forum... If this is your first chameleon then I would recommend filling out this form by copy pasting it. This will ensure that you were not only given the correct info but the correct supplies. Pictures of the entire enclosure lighting down and the cham are helpful as well.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Boy are you fast today Chiquita ❤️.

For a quick answer, their poop is the window to their hydration levels. If their urates are white, then they are getting enough water. Orange urates indicates dehydration. Many chams wont drink in front of you, so dont worry about witnessing any drinking first hand!

Welcome!

To add to this... A totally white urate is in fact a sign of over hydration. it is totally normal for them to have orange in the urate. You do not want it to be more then 50% though.

To answer your original questions...

How to water your chameleon | Humidity, hydration, and dehydration

Everything you need to know about chameleon poop

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, guessing around 6 weeks old. We’ve had it for 6 days.
  • Handling - Hand feeding the past two days. Keeping handling to a minimum while it gets settled in.
  • Feeding - Hornworms, butterworms and mealworms. Offering 3-4 a day.
  • Supplements - Dusting all meal worms with calcium.
  • Watering - We are using a “little dripper” to drip water onto a plant leaf. We must 3-4 times a day for around 30 seconds. Have only seen the chameleon drink once.
  • Fecal Description - Brown poop, white urate. Have only found one vowel movement. Has not been tested for parasites.
  • History -
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 16 x 16 x 30 screen cage.Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - Lights on for 12 hours a day. Using the Zoo Med tropical combo pack: 60 watt daylight blue reptile bulb & repti sun 5.0 mini compact fluorescent lamp 13 watts.
  • Temperature - Measuring temps with a probe thermometer and hygrometer. Basking spot 70 degrees to 65 degrees. Overnight temp of 60.
  • Humidity - Humidity levels averaging around 35-40. Creating this by misting 3-4 times a day. Using a probe hygrometer to measure. What are your humidity levels?
  • Plants - Artificial and one real- pothos.
  • Placement - Cage is located in son’s room so it is quiet and away from noise of the house. Currently on a table 2 feet off ground.
  • Location - Located in Northern California, Central Valley.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, guessing around 6 weeks old. We’ve had it for 6 days.
  • Handling - Hand feeding the past two days. Keeping handling to a minimum while it gets settled in.
  • Feeding - Hornworms, butterworms and mealworms. Offering 3-4 a day.
  • Supplements - Dusting all meal worms with calcium.
  • Watering - We are using a “little dripper” to drip water onto a plant leaf. We must 3-4 times a day for around 30 seconds. Have only seen the chameleon drink once.
  • Fecal Description - Brown poop, white urate. Have only found one vowel movement. Has not been tested for parasites.
  • History -
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 16 x 16 x 30 screen cage.Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - Lights on for 12 hours a day. Using the Zoo Med tropical combo pack: 60 watt daylight blue reptile bulb & repti sun 5.0 mini compact fluorescent lamp 13 watts.
  • Temperature - Measuring temps with a probe thermometer and hygrometer. Basking spot 70 degrees to 65 degrees. Overnight temp of 60.
  • Humidity - Humidity levels averaging around 35-40. Creating this by misting 3-4 times a day. Using a probe hygrometer to measure. What are your humidity levels?
  • Plants - Artificial and one real- pothos.
  • Placement - Cage is located in son’s room so it is quiet and away from noise of the house. Currently on a table 2 feet off ground.
  • Location - Located in Northern California, Central Valley.
When you have a sec could you add pics of your enclosure please .

meal worms have are hard bodied they are difficult to digest and have little to no nutritional value . They do not gut load . I would not offer . You can swap out for super worms . They should only be a treat . Silk worms ,Bsf , silks , cricket, roaches , horns are all good choices . Your baby would be eating twice a day at 6 weeks . He’s a little guy/girl .

what are you gut loading with ?? What are you using for your supplements ?? I saw you aredusting but with what ??

Your lights need upgrading as soon as possible .

tour basking temps should be closer to 80 .

Last edited:
Updated- just took temp with laser thermometer- we have two basking areas: one is 91 degrees, the other is 80. Supplementing with Zoo Med “Repti Calcium.” I also bought Repashy Vitamin A Plus. Please let me know if you have any additional advice!

Attachments

• 47930C2C-9CDF-494C-9A82-CF800EABF39A.jpeg
    47930C2C-9CDF-494C-9A82-CF800EABF39A.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 122
  • DB680CFF-B832-45C7-832C-32377AC0E210.jpeg
    DB680CFF-B832-45C7-832C-32377AC0E210.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 85248BFA-E942-4474-A57B-A65E63C92E96.jpeg
    85248BFA-E942-4474-A57B-A65E63C92E96.jpeg
    152.4 KB · Views: 79
  • A5455435-59B5-4784-8B4B-6C114FDD2C9F.jpeg
    A5455435-59B5-4784-8B4B-6C114FDD2C9F.jpeg
    233.7 KB · Views: 93
  • D5F49364-FD9F-47FA-8A7E-0043FDA9CFC4.jpeg
    D5F49364-FD9F-47FA-8A7E-0043FDA9CFC4.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 88
Updated- just took temp with laser thermometer- we have two basking areas: one is 91 degrees, the other is 80. Supplementing with Zoo Med “Repti Calcium.” I also bought Repashy Vitamin A Plus. Please let me know if you have any additional advice!
I think the baby is closer to 3 months . 91 is much to hot of a basking 83/84 . Ambient you want around 70 to 75 . Can I see the heals of your baby ?

For now your enclosure is fine but you will need to upgrade to a 24x24x48 at least . See how other chime in , Females need lay bins . With my girls I always add their lay bin from day one . Females can lay as soon as 6 months .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom