Branches

At what temp and for how long do you bake branches from outside and do you wash them first or just put them in the oven? Thank you

One I shaved down and it’s a perfect branch but feels moist so I thought the bake would dry it out but hey if it’s safe then ok lol

I would call it good, personally. If you'd rather play it safe, then google says this:
Screenshot_20210309-200934_Google.jpg

I think it depends on where you live (and what lives on/in the trees where you live), whether you cut live or collect fallen, and other factors. In some cases, the preparation/sterilization protocols may be "better safe than sorry" advice, and/or how risk-tolerant someone is.

In the US, a call or email to your local cooperative extension might be beneficial; they usually know the status of any local risks (disease, parasites, pollutants, etc.)

i personally use the bleach method, i just have to be careful to make sure that i get all of the bleach out of the wood before i put it in the enclosure

Well since branches are porous, I dont know if that's such a good idea. I've never read on it though.
I think one would want to penetrate the pores and whatever could be lurking therein. I used bleach on some bricks (also porous) I was concerned about; it did take a week for the odor to dissipate (I probably used too strong a mixture) but once it did, things were fine.

Whatever is used, if you can still smell it, I wouldn't put it in an enclosure. ;)

Baking the branch is making it more likely to harbor fungi/mold, pests(they like dead wood), etc. Plus it will break down sooner. Rinse off and let sit in sun. Don't use bleach. Dawn soap I believe was marketing hype that didn't really work and is probably not good for our animals. I'd clean off bird poop or use a different branch, but other than that... rinse and sun. I personally just throw them in my outdoor enclosures without even doing that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom