Branches for his cage?

andrearamirezo91

Avid Member
Hello everyone :)

I think I wanna change the setup in my boy’s cage a bit.. he has a ton of fake plants in there right now but I feel like I could be using the space in a way that he might enjoy better. This is my current setup:

62C34698-FD54-4923-952F-F473A1AA6CF0.jpeg

I wanted to do something more similar to this, which gives him more height layers to move around in. Also, it will make cleaning the cage SO much easier!

EF0410CF-3461-4A66-B3B7-B7A8D2625F53.png

It probably won’t look as sophisticated lol. I’d like to add more plants than what’s on that image though. I’d also want to add more branches than what the cage shown above has, so that he has more layes to move around in.

I see a lof of people here that have awesome branches in their chameleon enclosures. I just wanted to know where I can find them. Do you guys buy these or find some out there and clean them?

(Also if someone knows what that black stuff is that’s holding everything up I’d love to know :D)

I go through the complicated process of finding them outside and placing them in my cage. ;)

But seriously, just cut some down off a safe tree and put them in. Sometimes I rinse them off with a hose, but that's about it. Others sleep better by baking them or cleaning them with vinegar, I've done this in the past, but find it to be a waste of time. JMO

Oh, and as for the sticks, I just find mine outside, or cut me off a safe tree and clean them. If you live close to a beach you could always find some driftwood, but I would take extra precautions since you never know what parasites could be living at the beach

Okay! There’s a park nearby where they probably do
Hi, I believe that picture you used is from an article about chameleon cage setup, the black stuff is what I believe to be pond foam. Here’s the articar that I think that came from:
http://dragonstrand.com/principles-chameleon-cage-setup/ hope that helps! Good luck with setting up the cage! :D

Omg yes!!! That’s the one! I wanna try to do it so bad i wonder if that black stuff sticks directly onto the screen

That's great stuff pond and stone foam. It'll stick to pretty much anything. People use it for natural backgrounds.

I need to give him a bit more leafy coverage but my lil guy loves all his vines n bamboo sticks.
The more levels of mobility the better.

What size is your cage btw?

Attachments

• 20180623_154706.jpg
    20180623_154706.jpg
    463.6 KB · Views: 190
I need to give him a bit more leafy coverage but my lil guy loves all his vines n bamboo sticks.
The more levels of mobility the better.

What size is your cage btw?
Wow, that’s an amazing looking cage, mines a bit like that; but no where near as good. Do you have any tips?

Wow, that’s an amazing looking cage, mines a bit like that; but no where near as good. Do you have any tips?

Thank you! Im new to this hobby! So means a lot! I just bought a bunch of bamboo dowels you can get a pack of 25 on amazon..and also moss covered dowels. and a lot of bendy vines... the bendy ones make it easy to shape to hit some empty spots or even spiral down :) they have a safe plant list if your interested in added live plants which will also help with humidity n keep cage from flooding a bit less.

You can really dress up the spray foam by applying some stone texture in a spray can. Once your foam hardens you can sculpt it a bit or just spray it on there straight like you would do with spray paint. It gives your viv a granite stone feel. The spray foam is also a good way to hide flower pots so you can have live plants growing out of the walls .

Attachments

• E3921B0C-1D98-4BDE-83C9-F920692CEBCD.png
    E3921B0C-1D98-4BDE-83C9-F920692CEBCD.png
    435.1 KB · Views: 149
  • BD35DB34-C9AD-436E-839A-20BC5F5A0476.jpeg
    BD35DB34-C9AD-436E-839A-20BC5F5A0476.jpeg
    408.2 KB · Views: 162
Thank you! I had another one in the container to the right of that one but for some reason my female decided to dig that one up so she could lay her eggs there instead of in her box!

Yes same kind I actually ordered it off of Amazon and they sent two by mistake. I do not keep any other kind of carnivorous plants currently but I am interested in them. I tried a honeydew or sundew a while back But had no luck with it. Don’t most carnivorous plants require some type of hibernation every year?

@Brodybreaux25 yeah a lot of them do because they're from the Carolinas in the US and other similar regions. Drosera capensis is the best sundew imo. Very easy, no dormancy. Mine have flowered and spread into my other pots. Mexican butterworts are great too, they turn to succulents in the winter and need a dried out period, but no dormancy. Make sure to use distilled/ro/rainwater and acidic low nutrient substrate like perlite, sand, sphagnum, etc.

I live in southeast Louisiana and I know that we have wild pitcher plants here but I’ve never been able to locate any.

I’ve had the one in the picture for about a year now and the only water it gets is just plain tap water from my mist king... The plant hasnt really started to show any kind of stress from it yet.

These are the ones I’ve tried so far, the pitchers are the only ones to survive more than a few months.

Attachments

• 9D1AF859-9658-4E59-80B5-70FC8C69B3E6.png
    9D1AF859-9658-4E59-80B5-70FC8C69B3E6.png
    457 KB · Views: 85
Why would you put carnivorous plants in your Chams enclosure...sounds cool though...can you guys tell me some safe tropical plants that I can add that will tolerate the heat lamp and misting?
Thanks ;)

For me it’s two reasons. They are exotic and visually appealing. Second reason is they can “clean up” any loose feeders that may be wandering around your chams enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom