Branches for cage

Rangosmimi

So I’m putting together my new Dragon strand cage and I found a bunch of branches from our neighborhood park I understand to wash them but I’m wondering if I should sand them to make them smooth there are bumps that look like they could scratch my Dallas

I agree, some rough is good. But if it is extra sharp I sand them down. Or any broken stubs I sand down.
+1 on this.
I have muscadine branches in mine that have rough bits but it won’t hurt Van so it’s okay.
Just get a towel and really rub the branches every surface and that’ll get bark, lichen, miss et cetera off. If there’s any really rough bits hit it with steel wool or a wire brush. Then rinse them with H202. That’s what I did with mine :)

See how some of the branches have like nubs that stick out those are what I’m talking about some of them seem a little sharp

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 79
Those look fine as network branches to me. For any perching branches you'd want them to be less nubbly so they're a bit more comfortable. But it's good for them to have a bunch of different types of branches to flex out their feet and give them some enrichment. At any rate they don't seem dangerous. Like they're not sharp to the point where if you press on them they cut you right?

What would you suggest I clean them with I can’t boil them or bake them they are about 5 feet long
Hmm, I’d just really clean them with a wire brush or towel or something then use H202. Let them dry out for a good while. The cracking sometimes will happen when branch dies or was sick and then fungus takes over. The other one looked like it was healing up a lot which fungus likes to get in that way. Just make sure they’re really dried out and use a generous amount of H202. Once you add them in I’d keep them in the driest part of the cage.

Just host them down and leave them in the sun, you'll be fine. If you try bending them, they don't break right? If they're rotten they'll crunch in half easily. Anyway branches and wood do decompose after a while. It's OK. You just don't want spiders getting into your cage so give them a good visual inspection.

Thank you. For a basking branch what would you use I just upgraded Dallas’s cage to the large hybrid Dragon strand and I’m having a hard time finding large enough branches
A large dragon strand??? Very nice!! Keep collecting branches like you're doing now. Go to parks in your area, there are usually plenty for the taking! One of the ones in your photo looks like it'd be an OK basking branch. The one stick that had a bunch of little nubs on it, that's the one I meant would be a better network branch.

You can also order grapevine online (Etsy) or forage for it yourself depending on where you live.

You could also put out a request on Next Door and your neighbors will put branches out for you or let you come to their yard and grab some. I'm not sure if Alec (@ reptibranch on Instagram) is still selling branches. Just one of those things that is free and readily available so I feel like paying for it is a waste...and you can put that money to something else like special feeders.

See how some of the branches have like nubs that stick out those are what I’m talking about some of them seem a little sharp
Yea a little . Just sand them down a little bit. Should be great.

I have concrete steps. So when I wash them outside I rub those nubs on the steps (sand them down) & usually they are perfect after

Chameleons in the wild are exposed to many different kinds of branches and know how to maneuvre them with no problems. I wouldn’t fuss too much about sanding them unless there’s something so sharp it would cut you. You should clean them though. You can use just dish soap and water and give them a good scrub and let dry in the sun.

Back
Top Bottom