Branch Licker question

Steve A

Chameleon Enthusiast
I believe I know what the behavior is that he is just checking to see if other chameleons have been in the area (based on what I've read). He's just doing a quick tiny lick of his branches as he's walking. And of course his branches are nice and dry, so it should have nothing to do with moisture. For reference, he also has a dripper and never bothers to drink from it (plus his poops/urate look good).

I am just curious..... is this behavior related to him still adjusting to his new home? And should I expect this behavior to stop once he gets comfortable with his new home? As of right now, I know he is 100% still adjusting to his new enclosure. I am just curious about this behavior, if it is one indicator that he is still adjusting, or if it is something panthers do always, regardless.

GIF by moodman

Totally normal behavior. They taste everything. It is one of the cutest things ever to me. Veileds do not do it 😭

GIF by moodman

Totally normal behavior. They taste everything. It is one of the cutest things ever to me. Veileds do not do it 😭
It really is lol It's super cute. It's like "walk 4 inches.... lick..... another 4 inches..... lick. sit here for 20 minute.... lick... walk... repeat lol

I was just curious really if this is something that would eventually end once he gets used to his enclosure or if its a lifetime thing. It sounds like a lifetime thing :)

It really is lol It's super cute. It's like "walk 4 inches.... lick..... another 4 inches..... lick. sit here for 20 minute.... lick... walk... repeat lol

I was just curious really if this is something that would eventually end once he gets used to his enclosure or if its a lifetime thing. It sounds like a lifetime thing :)
Yeah it is another form of sensing their environment. It tells them more about their area. A lot of lizards do this. But yeah I have had 3 veileds and literally never had one do it. They only eat everything. lol
Panthers will also bite their branches as they start maturing.

Yeah it is another form of sensing their environment. It tells them more about their area. A lot of lizards do this. But yeah I have had 3 veileds and literally never had one do it. They only eat everything. lol
Panthers will also bite their branches as they start maturing.
"Panthers will also bite their branches as they start maturing."

Well thanks for the heads up on that because I definitely would have freaked out over that lmaooooooo

"Panthers will also bite their branches as they start maturing."

Well thanks for the heads up on that because I definitely would have freaked out over that lmaooooooo
Yep I just thought I should throw that one in there... Some will chew on dead leaves as well ;)

Yep I just thought I should throw that one in there... Some will chew on dead leaves as well ;)
The leaves I'm already used to! haha. Although I read they typically don't eat leaves, I did read that sometimes they do. My veiled actually shot her tongue out at dead leaves and ate them lol It was pretty cool to see.

Also, my panther does this OFTEN. He has a specific head tilt he does just before he licks his stick. Super endearing. Enjoy it with your little one and if you can get a video of it please share :)

Also, my panther does this OFTEN. He has a specific head tilt he does just before he licks his stick. Super endearing. Enjoy it with your little one and if you can get a video of it please share :)
Yeah I REALLY need to start recording lol right now I just live view. I have to check out this camera and see if I can just slip an SD card in there or something. I think I have to pay for a cloud based service though. I will definitely start posting some videos though once I do because he's so cute lmao I know exactly what you mean. Kinda like the head tilt in my profile picture. He tends to do that a lot, sometimes when he licks.

Yeah I REALLY need to start recording lol right now I just live view. I have to check out this camera and see if I can just slip an SD card in there or something. I think I have to pay for a cloud based service though. I will definitely start posting some videos though once I do because he's so cute lmao I know exactly what you mean. Kinda like the head tilt in my profile picture. He tends to do that a lot, sometimes when he licks.
So adorable!!

I love seeing your journey with your new chameleon because Ive noticed all your posts are stuff Ive also noticed with my little guy! I noticed him doing little licks as he was walking and I was also quickly worrying lol. Feels like our little guys are going through the same things haha

I love seeing your journey with your new chameleon because Ive noticed all your posts are stuff Ive also noticed with my little guy! I noticed him doing little licks as he was walking and I was also quickly worrying lol. Feels like our little guys are going through the same things haha

That's awesome lol As unique as they are they have so many things that they just commonly do. I have enjoyed learning about him, and his habits and what not. It's really interesting. I never would have guessed that they lick branches to track other possible chameleon presence.

That's awesome lol As unique as they are they have so many things that they just commonly do. I have enjoyed learning about him, and his habits and what not. It's really interesting. I never would have guessed that they lick branches to track other possible chameleon presence.
My panther licked me the other weekend. He seemed like he wanted to get out so I let him free roam the room for a bit. He climbed on my arm, tilted his head and kicked me. I felt so honored.

My panther licked me the other weekend. He seemed like he wanted to get out so I let him free roam the room for a bit. He climbed on my arm, tilted his head and kicked me. I felt so honored.

lol Would be funny if in his mind he did that then he's like "...Yep! It's her :) "

Back
Top Bottom