Brainstorming and suggestions for new / uncommon feeder insect production on a large scale

I run a small business producing feeder insects for local breeders, pet stores, and occasional online sales. I'm looking to expand into some insect species that are not typically found in pet stores. The chameleon community seems to use a very wide variety, so I'm coming to you guys to see what you would like to become more easily available.

I already produce superworms, dicsoid / pallid / green banana / suriname roaches, and fruit flies. I recently stopped producing wax worms due to processing problems. I am not interested in typical cricket farming.

The following are insects currently being considered, paired with the questions I have about them. Any advice is appreciated as well as suggestions for feeders I have not listed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Mantises: My only problem with mantises is housing. As most of you know, mantises are VERY cannibalistic. Does anyone know an efficient and ethical way of housing them so that they will not kill each other? My only option right now is selling oothecae so people can hatch their own.

- Hornworms and silkworms: The natural diet of hornworms are plants from the nightshade family. This diet makes the hornworms toxic to predators (your chameleon). From my understanding, they are commercially produced using exclusively mulberry leaves and mulberry based chows. I've read that they can be temporarily sustained on a few other items, but are there any other foods that will support their entire life-cycle? If not, it looks like I'll be starting a mulberry orchard.

- Black soldier flies: The problem I have with black soldier flies is that they almost always have huge mite outbreaks when I try breeding them. I cannot find a way to keep mites down that is efficient and not harmful to the fly larvae. Does anyone know how major producers handle this pest? Perhaps there is a humidity level that is high enough for the fly larvae but too low for the mites?

- Bottle flies: http://www.adcham.com/html/insects/insects-fly-rearing.html appears to be a great guide for breeding bottle flies, however, the harvesting step looks messy and difficult to do by the tens of thousands. My idea for harvesting would be having a tight fitting lid that has a tube attatched, leading to a holding container. When the water is added, they flies would theoretically run up the sides, into the tube, and crawl / drop into a cup of aspen chips. If you have a better idea, please let me know!

- Other feeders / chameleon related products: If you can think of any other feeders, such as grasshoppers that can be captive bred, or even non-insect products such as feeding devices or enclosure furnishings that you feel are lacking in quality or availability with today's reptile industry, I'm interested in hearing what you have to say!

TLDR: I'm interested in making uncommon chameleon feeders and possibly supplies easily obtainable for reasonable prices. If there is anything you would like to see become more easily available, let me know.

- I look forward to hearing your responses and thank you in advance, Prolific Farms

I forgot to mention that my problem with wax worms was that I could not find an efficient way to separate them from their media. They create so much silk that all their waste turns into a block that can't be sifted. Water separation did not work.

Phasmids are REALLY cool, but the legal restrictions on them make them less than ideal as a product, unless there's a non-toxic species native to several states that I'm not familiar with.

I would try to sell bsfl that are about to turn into flies.
I have to buy larva by the 1000 and just wait for them to turn black. Can take weeks.
If you could sell them ready to turn into flies, when they are done eating , that would be something I would want.

After a quick google it looks like it can take up to 5 years to go from eggs to the dragon flies we see flying around...
I saw that as well :L . Some people were saying they harvest wild larvae and keep them until they turn into dragonflies, but I'm not too keen on using wild feeders. Also some adults eat their own body-weight in 30 minutes, so feeding them would also be a huge problem.

Curly wing house flies might be an option. I bred them for a short time but I was only keeping strictly terrestrial lizards at the time and the flies tend to run up the sides of things but should work well for small chams.

I hear that they are nutritious, maybe that transfers over to chameleons, but since they are everywhere I'm thinking they probably eat them...termites. Don't know how you would gutload

I hear that they are nutritious, maybe that transfers over to chameleons, but since they are everywhere I'm thinking they probably eat them...termites. Don't know how you would gutload
I haven’t done any research but I seriously doubt anyone would willingly bring an insect into their house, let alone in large numbers, that can literally eat them out of house and home. Probably laws against shipping them as well.

Have you looked into breeding grasshoppers, like the small to medium species native here in Florida (of course not the Lubbers, they're toxic)?

Back
Top Bottom