Brainstorm for a small montane enclosure (pics)

chrisw

Established Member
This may not be an original idea - but it was to me - so I'm sharing it! I wanted to create a well-planted enclosure for my new juvie Kinyongia multituberculata. He is small so the enclosure is only 15x15x20. I bought an umbrella plant but didn't want to have to cut the plant back to fit and didn't want 50% of the enclosure space taken up by the pot that held the plant. So...I took out the plastic bottom tray from the cage and traced the pot on the surface. Then cut out the circle with a utility knife - making the hole slightly bigger since it was tapered and got larger at the top - easy. Then slid the plant into the hole. Had two more issues to solve for - wanted a place for water to drain and I didn't want the weight of the plant pulling down on the thin plastic bottom of the enclosure because it would bow. I sat the whole cage on an old milk crate which I had cut the bottom out of - then sat a plastic tub underneath to catch the drainage. All i needed to do was stand an old plastic bottle in the tub so that most of the weight of the plant could rest on its - this supports the plant to keep the bottom of the cage from bowing. Worked good - most of the enclosure is "plant" now - rather than 50% plant and 50% pot. When he outgrows this enclosure the plant will move with him. Here are a few shots - one the whole enclosure, one of the bottom half of the whole setup (hard to really see) and one of the new guy hanging out in the tree tops. I have an interesting rig here because I'm trying to align the top of this cage with other 4 foot cages so that the misting system lines up easier. That's it! (note: pot fits very, very tightly into the hole in cage bottom so that no feeders can escape)

Attachments

• IMG_4819.jpg
    IMG_4819.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_4830.jpg
    IMG_4830.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_4827.jpg
    IMG_4827.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 201
Good thinking, Chris! That plant would have been almost nothing trying to fit both pot and plant in the cage. The little multituberculata looks great too!!! Keep me posted on how he does.

Back
Top Bottom