Bottom substrate?

Progrmor

Hi.
I have this Exo terra cage for my vieled female. (2 Months old).

I use the "Little Dripper" on the roof dripping down some leaves and in a container in the bottom with a net over so she wont drown. I also mist 4 times a day and quite much, maybe 20 "sprays" all over the plants in the cage.

And the morning next, I´ll find the bottom of the cage filled with water. Altough I got 2 layers of newspaper in the bottom. So now my friend tip me about using some sort of dirt as substrate... something. As it will take advantages of the water.

But im not sure. What should I do? Change substrate? Remove dripper/spray less?

(Im about 40-80% humidity from time to time)
Here´s the cage:
1371718_10200697026934850_1694470998_n.jpg

If you are soaking newspaper, you will eventually soak the dirt and make a big muddy mess.
Cut back on your mistings and allow the enclosure to dry completely between mistings. Constant dampness creates an unhealthy living environment for the chameleon. If your chameleon needs more water than that, use a drip system with a catch bowl.

well, the biggest thing in this case is it won't solve your problem. It may delay it a few days, but if newspaper is soaked, the substrate will eventually be soaked as well.

The other reason is because chameleon tongues are sticky so they pick up the substrate accidentally if it is particulate like dirt, which can cause the lizard to get plugged up inside and kill it.

That said, if you *really* want to go with a substrate, you should be able to find information here on the forums- I know there are some very experienced keepers successfully using it. BUT- they aren't using it to soak up extra moisture- it won't solve the problem you are trying to solve.

So... the best thing is to have nothing in the bottom at all? Just the glass? But since I got a glass terrarium I cant really do any of that they are doing in the thread u posted. Im not in for drilling... My thumb is placed in the middle of my hand so it will be a disaster.

Do you have any suggestion on how I can keep it dry without anything in the bottom?

I used glass terrariums for years.
What I did was this-

Newspaper substrate like yours. Newspaper is fine and good for humidity as it raises humidity when water evaporates out of it- as long as it is allowed to dry out completely before dampening again. Constant dampness is unhealthy.

A *light* misting morning and evening- enough to coat the surface of everything with tiny water droplets, not long enough to cause drips and puddles. If you want more often- that's OK, but make sure everything including the substrate is completely dry before misting again. More than a light misting a couple times per day should not be necessary in a glass tank.

A once daily drip system that dripped onto the leaf of a plant and/or into a catch bowl at the bottom of the enclosure. The catch bowl was large enough to hold about 20-25 minutes of slow drips- about 1 drip per second. The drip was available for this amount of time, 1x per day. That is all you should need in a glass enclosure.

For small chameleons, a branch can be placed in the bowl so they can escape if they fall in. For large chameleons a branch led down right next to the bowl so the lizard could go down to it and drink directly from it if it wanted. Most chameleons learn to drink directly from a catch bowl as water drips into it and splashes. To be safe, make it drip onto a plant leaf first, and then from the leaf into the bowl, until you see the chameleon use the bowl consistentlyl. This bowl is emptied daily prior to the next drip session and cleaned before being replaced.

If you have splash out from the bowl enough to create puddles on your paper that don't dry up within a couple of hours, you need to lower the drip closer to the bowl- if you use tubing, simply extend closer to the bowl, if you aren't get a plant leaf between the bowl and the drip.

Substrate and enclosure should dry out within a couple of hours after spraying or dripping.

Glass bottom can be done, it just requires more work regarding drying out. I started that way but then I went with screen with a drainage system. It has to dry out or you will have problems with mold.

Ok .. I have the glass enclosures and I use the green carpet they have in the pet stores. to make it fit right I cut two pieces and hot glue gun them together so that when they are laying in the bottom they are big enough to fit then cut so they lay flat. you will need to make a few of these for each tank because you need to change them out weekly and wash so that he smell of mildew will not take over. you will still have to watch the number of times you spray and how much but this will help more than you think. the carpet does soak up quite a bit and helps with the humidity levels.

Hydroponics?

What about substrate for plants to root into. For instance coconut husk is used in hydroponic setups where soil isn't wanted and very mold resistant. Nutrients for the plants are reduced to liquids rather than small balls that crickets can ingest and feed your Cham. I am asking because I would really like something on the bottom of the cage such as live moss and to keep a live hibiscus plant not in a ugly pot. Basically make everything look as natural as possible with keeping the Cham as healthy as possible. There are many substrates that could be used to accomplish this. I guess I am answering my own questions as I am going but a mini hydroponic system at the bottom with clay balls and a good drainage system could accomplish keeping like plants with a reduced risk for your Cham. Thoughts?

Its realy depends on your closure realy...
ofc.. you dont want the bick wooden chips ..
they can choke in.. ofc...
but i have the finest sand there is...
you can pick every bit of it.. so tiny it is
and if worked with earth cocos ground to...
they will eat it.. but just like dogs they sometimes to do
digest better.... just make sure its very fine and it looks nice

Back
Top Bottom