Both of my female Chameleon have their mouth open

Farrah

I have two female veiled chameleons, one is maybe a year and a half, the other one is over a year . I came home one day and one of them she had her mouth open I thought she is dehydrated I turned down the heat and kept spraying it with water giving her food high in water like cucumber slices , apples ...
the next day the other one started to do the same thing , I provided them with water dripping in their mouth ( They don't take it they are shy , I have to give it to them )
they are not eating , both are pooping
the older one she has laid eggs before she didn't do this behavior ( mouth opening ) , both they have bins with coconut fibers ready and I keep them seperated.
what should I do ? keep forcing them water or I shall stop that ! the temp is very normal and as usual. the male chameleon I have once I've seen him having his mouth open then not any more m he eats well.

Are they holding there heads up? Any popping as they breath? Maybe RI? Could you please fill out the help form, it will give us a better idea of what could be going on.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

@Farrah What are the temps in the basking spot, top of cage, middle of cage, and bottom? Normal and as usual could be anything. Have you recently replaced your basking bulb?

Can you post pictures of them?
the really dark one is the older female and the light one she is the younger which never laid before
I don't know why the 1st one in so dark and have her mouth open

Attachments

• 67074505_2400316933384407_5253623160611274752_n.jpg
    67074505_2400316933384407_5253623160611274752_n.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 67471978_500391164064640_4189441903747399680_n.jpg
    67471978_500391164064640_4189441903747399680_n.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 159
@Farrah What are the temps in the basking spot, top of cage, middle of cage, and bottom? Normal and as usual could be anything. Have you recently replaced your basking bulb?
First one older female chameleon: she is in the middle she is free range in her usual spot, the temp I have a light heat for her because it is hot the weather is 78 -80 degree and some days are 90
she gets natural sun
not eating very little she had one cricket today
I keep the window open and close it at night
Now it is 9 pm she is not sleeping she is very dark and have her mouth open
I misted her a little gave her water
the only new thing is the new neighbours are moving in and the kids are making noise.

second younger female chameleon : top of the cage
same temp
I turned off the heating lamp since she has been opening her mouth and it is very hot
I keep the window open for her
she moves sometimes down to the bottom
looking for something

First one older female chameleon: she is in the middle she is free range in her usual spot, the temp I have a light heat for her because it is hot the weather is 78 -80 degree and some days are 90
she gets natural sun
not eating very little she had one cricket today
I keep the window open and close it at night
Now it is 9 pm she is not sleeping she is very dark and have her mouth open
I misted her a little gave her water
the only new thing is the new neighbours are moving in and the kids are making noise.

second younger female chameleon : top of the cage
same temp
I turned off the heating lamp since she has been opening her mouth and it is very hot
I keep the window open for her
she moves sometimes down to the bottom
looking for something
This makes it seem like they are in the same cage? Am I misunderstanding?

Please fill out the form @janjan20 posted. Your chams do not look good. The one looks egg bound which is probably why she had been going to the bottom looking for something. A spot to lay her eggs.

They do not have their mouths open because they are thirsty!

1. yes the younger one is holding her heads up
Are they holding there heads up? Any popping as they breath? Maybe RI? Could you please fill out the help form, it will give us a better idea of what could be going on.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
This makes it seem like they are in the same cage? Am I misunderstanding?
No but same apt
one is free range and the other in a cage in a seperate room but I keep the same condition for both

Chameleon Info:
Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:
Are they holding there heads up?
  • Yes the younger one is .
Any popping as they breath?
NO
Maybe RI?
I am not sure I don’t know it can’t be both of the females , the male is fine , both females are kept separately
Could you please fill out the help form, it will give us a better idea of what could be going on.
Chameleon Info:

I have two Mahsen (M) and Barboura (B)
M :Female / maybe 1.8 year not sure
B : Female / maybe 1.3 year not sure
I didn’t get them when they were born I adopted them
M:She is used to me every two days or less , but now it is a bit more specially now when I try to mist her
B; before two weeks never very very rarely , now every three days very minimal she is getting used to me better
M: Crickets (2 sometimes 3 large) and mealworms (medium 5-6) with calcium powder and sometimes I add vit D / romaine lettuce / thin apple slices / water
B: same she is not a big fan of crickets
Both haven’t been eating well
One meal in the morning
Yes I am gut loading the feeders

Zoo meds 3 times a week or less since the crickets are gut loaded with calcium food
Vit D once a month
Mist everyday couple of time
Lately I did force them to drink when they have their mouth open
Usually I drip the water from a syringe and M would come to drink , I used a water fountain with a pump they didn’t care for it
M:Normal solid black one and white solid one
B: Normal solid black one and white solid one , one time though it was watery
No , they have not.
M ; Has laid eggs 3 times before
B: has never laid eggs / there is a male chameleon sometimes he is free range around her cage they have been in that setting for a year / the previous owner had them both in one cage , but I have separated them , so she sees him
Cage Info:

M: free range on her tree
B: screen
Sunlight / from 7 am to 6 pm
I’ve truned it down since it is hot the temp is 78-85 and it can be 90
The temp in my apt is set at 78
I only mist I don’t know
Yes, Pothos and other type of tree
Near the window / no traffic or a lot of movements
Hight : 4 feet
Kenucky

I have explained before , both female chameleons are opening their mouths
Not really eating
B: it has been more that two weeks she is eating probably every 5 days one time
M: everyother day and not her usual habits
M: right now it is 10 pm she is awake / mouth open / dark color yellow blotch / she is trying to poop
Both of them didn’t try to dig yet

I added pictures for both of them now
--------------

Attachments

• 67074505_2400316933384407_5253623160611274752_n.jpg
    67074505_2400316933384407_5253623160611274752_n.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 67471978_500391164064640_4189441903747399680_n.jpg
    67471978_500391164064640_4189441903747399680_n.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 82
I usually get notification when someone post to my thread < ididn't get any I thought now one has responded to me that's why it took me so long

Please fill out the form @janjan20 posted. Your chams do not look good. The one looks egg bound which is probably why she had been going to the bottom looking for something. A spot to lay her eggs.
I have a ready bins for both of them I don't understand why she wouldn't go there shall I trap her ?

guys this happening now 11 pm , he is trying to poop or I don't know

Attachments

• 66688443_634499890293391_3258924607570182144_n.jpg
    66688443_634499890293391_3258924607570182144_n.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 142
Back
Top Bottom