Blue Bottle Spikes question

Bush baby

Avid Member
Has anyone kept BB spikes in the fridge for several months, and successfully hatched them into flies after such time?

I purchase some spikes from mantisplace back in October, hatched some but totally forgot about the rest which i had store in the fridge. Anyhow i took some out (about 20) and have been keeping them in a warm place in my house for 2 weeks, but still nothing.

Have they died at this point?

Has anyone kept BB spikes in the fridge for several months, and successfully hatched them into flies after such time?

I purchase some spikes from mantisplace back in October, hatched some but totally forgot about the rest which i had store in the fridge. Anyhow i took some out (about 20) and have been keeping them in a warm place in my house for 2 weeks, but still nothing.

Have they died at this point?

I think the longest I have ever kept mine refrigerated and still saw results was 2 - 2.5 months. It's said they will only last two months in the fridge...but mine still made it.

But, after two weeks out of the fridge and still nothing....maybe not.

I hate when I forget about feeders like that!

It matters how fresh they when you get them, but in the best of world of freshness, plan on 1.5 weeks before the hatch rate starts dropping. Anyone can order my Blue Bottle care sheet, email me at [email protected]. I will be offering BB's in a new ad posting tonight.

CHEERS!

Nick

It matters how fresh they when you get them, but in the best of world of freshness, plan on 1.5 weeks before the hatch rate starts dropping. Anyone can order my Blue Bottle care sheet, email me at [email protected]. I will be offering BB's in a new ad posting tonight.

CHEERS!

Nick

I will definitely be looking for your ad, I need to get Merlin some more flies!

CHEERS!

Nick

I'm going to try some of these too! (y)

Are they larvae or pupae? I think the "spikes" are usually the larvae (maggots), but I saw on the mantisplace website that they were calling the spikes pupae. The pupae aren't supposed to be refrigerated longer than about a week I think or it starts to affect the survival rate. I'm not sure about the larvae.

Are they larvae or pupae? I think the "spikes" are usually the larvae (maggots), but I saw on the mantisplace website that they were calling the spikes pupae. The pupae aren't supposed to be refrigerated longer than about a week I think or it starts to affect the survival rate. I'm not sure about the larvae.
Pupae.

Back
Top Bottom