Blue Bottle question

Fearaffect

Avid Member
Ok, so I got some from Mantisplace and I did the whole separation thing and put the rest in the fridge......what do they look like when they pupate?
Are they brown like Fruit Flies or black?? and how long do they take to turn into flies??

Normally dosent more than a few days at room temp for flys. The ones we call bluebottles here are black with an irridiscent green sheen, big chunky buggers.

bluebottlefly300.jpg

What they looked like in all stages

Thanks! Everything is goin good then....:)

I find they pupate in about 4 days in a room about 70 degrees. They hatch in about 5 more days, so your total time from putting them to room temperature is about 9 days.
All this is dependent on how old the maggots are when you get them.:D

They are my favorite feeder for being gone for 5 days; no worry about the Chams getting food.

Nick

I find they pupate in about 4 days in a room about 70 degrees. They hatch in about 5 more days, so your total time from putting them to room temperature is about 9 days.
All this is dependent on how old the maggots are when you get them.:D

They are my favorite feeder for being gone for 5 days; no worry about the Chams getting food.

Nick

Yea, the ones I separated and put in the deli cup took about 3 days and then started pupating.....so all is good:) My "kids" are anticipating the fly feast!!

The last batch I recieved, the ice pack went south and I had flys in 12 hrs...:rolleyes: Good thing I got them containers ready as soon as usps dropped them off.:)

My set up:

-Jay

wow, I wish I was that organized....lol I dont have anything labeled.......

Whats with the sponge in deli cup? I take it for humidity? or just for them to drink? Thought that they got their water from the food they eat......

wow, I wish I was that organized....lol I dont have anything labeled.......

Whats with the sponge in deli cup? I take it for humidity? or just for them to drink? Thought that they got their water from the food they eat......

I like organization....;)

It's water to drink, the food is in the other condiment cup, and is a mixture of dry milk, bee pollen, and powdered sugar.

If you want a bit more healthy food for your fly to eat before getting gobbled down by your cham, you can use:

a soft-boiled egg (mashed it so it smooth)
a few teaspoons of plain yogurt
baby rice cereal (Plain)
some honey.

Blend it well. Into liquid.
Give to flies 2-3 hours before feeding them to your chameleon.
It could just be my feeling.. but, I found my chameleons are more enthused eating flies that are fed with this mixture than the one fed with the dry milk powder (or the one with empty stomach).

I misunderstood, Had no idea you guys buy them as maggots. We buy pupae here, much simpler. Excepting some fun zapping them, why not just feed the maggots directly?
Maggots are right off my gross-o-meter! :)

If you want a bit more healthy food for your fly to eat before getting gobbled down by your cham, you can use:

a soft-boiled egg (mashed it so it smooth)
a few teaspoons of plain yogurt
baby rice cereal (Plain)
some honey.

Blend it well. Into liquid.
Give to flies 2-3 hours before feeding them to your chameleon.
It could just be my feeling.. but, I found my chameleons are more enthused eating flies that are fed with this mixture than the one fed with the dry milk powder (or the one with empty stomach).
I'll give that a try.......right now I had bought the BB food threw the Mantisplace.........but once thats gone I'll do your recipe...:D

I misunderstood, Had no idea you guys buy them as maggots. We buy pupae here, much simpler. Excepting some fun zapping them, why not just feed the maggots directly?
Maggots are right off my gross-o-meter! :)

Well, I also use them to clean up cuts on me.....gets all that dead flesh real good.....:eek:

Well, I also use them to clean up cuts on me.....gets all that dead flesh real good.....:eek:
GAG!! Don't make me sick!!! :eek:

Jay, what's the tan, wirey stuff in your containers? My set up looks just like your's, minus that part. What's it for? Maybe I should add it........:confused:

Back
Top Bottom