Bloody Stool and vet closed for holidays

Hey Everyone

One of my adult panther chams recently had a loose bloody stool. He has not been around any other chams in months (he is the favorite and stays in our living room). He has been drinking and acting normal. Ate several crickets this morning. No difference in behavior at all. No signs of dehydration. I have never seen him defecate like this before though. It is very runny and definitely has a lot of red mixed in. I shot him up with some electrolytes, but was curious as to the cause. Obviously with it being New Year's Eve the herp vet is closed, and are also closed tmw. Go figure!!!! Any suggestions or ideas?

Bloody, runny stool is one of the symptoms of a parasite. I was just reading an article about this the other day. I would try to find a vet right away. Not saying for sure that it is that, but a good possibility.

panacur is a dewormer, you can buy it at repile stores(least the one near me) its a dewormer used for many animals, chams too. Ive used it before and worked(my vet told me it would be a cheaper way).

Im not saying to not call your vet but look it up, and it has worked for me.

Have there been poops after that and if so, how were they?

I'm usually of the opinion that a one time thing is not a big problem. Bloody poop does sort of fall out of that range though. I think it definitely warrants a vet visit.

If subsequent poop has been normal, I'd take it out of the "emergency vet visit" range and schedule the first appointment at "normal" rates I could. Remember to take the freshest poop sample possible to the vet (that might happen in the car on the way to the vet).

If subsequent poop has also been bloody, then it's emergency vet visit asap time....that pretty much can't be a good thing.

panacur is a dewormer, you can buy it at repile stores(least the one near me) its a dewormer used for many animals, chams too. Ive used it before and worked(my vet told me it would be a cheaper way).

Im not saying to not call your vet but look it up, and it has worked for me.

i have never heard of panacure being sold in stores, i live in a different country though. yes, panacure is a good medication that gets the job done, is safe and doesnt need to be administered often. i think 4 treatments in 2 months (once every 2 weeks) is what the vet perscribe my girlfriends multi.

i have never heard of panacure being sold in stores, i live in a different country though. yes, panacure is a good medication that gets the job done, is safe and doesnt need to be administered often. i think 4 treatments in 2 months (once every 2 weeks) is what the vet perscribe my girlfriends multi.

but the thing is he does not even know what is causing the bloody stool. i am not sure if I would want to give my cham meds that were not necesary. I mean worms are just a possibility here. I am no vet and he needs a fecal to rule out parasites first. JMO

Thanks everyone. I do have the panacure at home. No er vets in my area treat exotics. Kinda of a rural area outside of Nashville. He did have another BM this morning, and it was normal. No blood at all. He is drinking, and very active. Seems fine, but I am going to take him first thing Monday morning, and will keep a close eye on him in the meantime.

but the thing is he does not even know what is causing the bloody stool. i am not sure if I would want to give my cham meds that were not necesary. I mean worms are just a possibility here. I am no vet and he needs a fecal to rule out parasites first. JMO

my vet said it is completely safe and can be used on any one of our chameleons. once every 2 weeks isnt enough to cause any affects to the animal, but it does target the parisite and remove and/or shieled the animal's body against it

trust me carol, im not one to even want to use medication as a first step but rather a last resort after trying everything natural. but after the vet telling me this and showing me documents of what it does, i was going to treat all of my reptiles with it. but we ended up throwing it before thinking we would need more. i can get some anytime though

Back
Top Bottom