blood need fast help.

kim01

first i want to say i am looking for a vet(husband is) so if you could help me out until i can get him in please

Cage Info:
Cage Type - What kind of cage are you using? What is the size? 100 gallon reptarium
Lighting - What kind of lighting are you using? How long do you keep the lights on during the day? 10.0 reptisun long tube,they are on 8 to8
Temperature - What temperature range have you created? Basking spot temp? What is the temperature at night? basking is 80 to 85,where he sleeps right now is 78,at night it is 68
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? misted 3 times aday humidity usually around 50%
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? live fiscus,and a pothos,also have some fake vines in there.
Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? in my bed room,no fans or vents.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. panther,male,about 18 weeks tues
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What kind of schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? crickets,gut loaded with dandelion greens,endive,collard greens,and a carrot. he doesn't eat too much has eaten a few of them,offered new ones daily.
Supplements - What are you dusting your feeders with and what kind of schedule do you use? none at the moment,he has the white coming out of his nose
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Do you see your chameleon drinking? he is misted 3 times aday and has a dripper,yes have seen him drink
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings.
in the 2 1/2 weeks i have had him he has up until just a bit ago went 1 time. it was brown/with white urate. but a bit ago i checked and in the same area he has gone it is a bit bigger than the last,however there is a bit of the "slime" on the end(assuming b/c he was constipated) but then there is a drop of red. the urate is white but looks like the outside of it was passed by the blood?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

the blood tha is in the poo. no idea what to do? on tuesday he went down to where he sleeps at 3 ish. he had bene going to bed at about 5(which would be 7 from where he was from). it was very stormy and dark out all day. so thought perhaps that is what it was.but it seems that he is still gong down to that part early. bu if you look at him he is still awake. his coloring has been black. but have seen him getting greener and the red around his eye.
what do i do? ok just found out they cannot get us into until sunday morning. they ar booked solid. we only have a couple choices to choose from.
need some advice?

Is it possible to post a pic of him?

What type of basking light are you using?

The UVB 10 may be a little much a 5.0 would probably be better. (probably not the problem though)

How often does he eat? how many crickets?

When was the last time you saw him drink?

I would suggest giving him a 15-20 long shower (warm to the touch) It will give him a good chance to drink and hydrate.

What potting soil is in your plants?

How do you catch your excess water from misting?

Kevin

thanks kevin right now he seems to be eating about 1 or 2 crickets every couple days.
i use paper towels at the bottom of the enclosure. i have the plastic bottom for the reptairum.
can he take a shower being this young? do i just take the tree ouot and hm on it? do you not think he will take off?
i can switch the lights but it was pretty dark when i had the 5. it is the long tube kind reptic sun.

basking light is just a regular house light bulb a 65 watt on the top of the cage.
how can i load pics on here?
i have some on my camera but no clue how to get them here.
i have only seen him eat probably 4 crickets.
he drank this morning when i misted him.

get your cham to the vet asap.
and safe his dropping in a ziplock bag. put it in the refrigerator.
Have your vet tested it for parasites especially coccidia.

this is my suspicion.
does he looked dehydrated?
pedialyte (mixed in the water dripper) might help in the meantime.

My male took to the shower right away. He was 3 or 4 monthes when I got him. My female STILL hates it. Yep, just use your tree. Make sure the spray is deflected off the shower wall or shelf. And make sure there's no soap residue around.

What type of soil is in your plants?

I don't think the light's the issue just a little much. The basking light is good.
I use a double fixture and put my UVB 5.0 in one side and a grow bulb in the other to brighten it up and help the plants.

I'd make sure you take the paper towels out after you mist him and replace them with dry ones.

If you mean he's only eaten 4 crickets in 2 weeks you might want to get Repti-Aid and try to give it to him through a syringe......the pedialyte is probably a good idea too.

You also need to figure out a good supplementation program. The white crusty deposits are salts that doesn't mean that he's getting everything else he needs.

Hopefully the vet can give you an idea of what imbalances he may have.

As for the pics.....if you have them on your computer you can go to the Gallery page and upload the photos to your gallery. Then you can copy and paste the link to each gallery pic as you bring it up into the insert image box that comes up when click the button at the top of the "reply to thread" page that you enter your text from.

I think that was everything I wanted to cover.

If I forgot anything just ask.

Kevin

ok thanks...
well i am really in need of some help now. i finally got ahold of the actual vet. and unfortunetly he cannot be seen until monday. there is no reptile hosptial open after hours or weekends.
wt heck?
so i am thinking that i should get the pedilyte and give that too him.
do i just spay that or mix it with the water? force it in him?
also as far as food,i have some wax worms should i give those? again do i force feed him? if so how?
and lastly it is suppose to be warm tomorrow. i was thinking of taking him outside for real sun. what temp does it need to be outside for him to safely be able to go? or should i not.
i also thought about keeping his uv light off until i get him into the vet? good idea or no?
thanks guys i really apreciate it. i am working on getting some pics up.

ok thanks...
well i am really in need of some help now. i finally got ahold of the actual vet.
so i am thinking that i should get the pedilyte and give that too him.
do i just spay that or mix it with the water? force it in him?
also as far as food,i have some wax worms should i give those? again do i force feed him? if so how?
and lastly it is suppose to be warm tomorrow. i was thinking of taking him outside for real sun. what temp does it need to be outside for him to safely be able to go? or should i not.
i also thought about keeping his uv light off until i get him into the vet? good idea or no?
thanks guys i really apreciate it. i am working on getting some pics up.

If possible, avoid force feeding and force drinking unless if the chameleon is in a critical condition. shoving things inside of his mouth is a very stressful event. use your judgment whether the benefit outweigh the stress.

I mix pedialyte into water dripper and let the water drip. (i bought the orange flavor. for some reason, my chameleon loves the taste and decided to drink it himself).

a good sunlight usually help a bit. unless the temp is way too cold for him.
I wouldn't turn off the UV. I don't think it's the light fault.

I agree with dodolah. If he seems REAL bad then force feeding may be the only way to keep him healthy enough for the vet to make a difference. If he's still drinking on his own then drip the diluted pedialite. If you do feel that you need to force feed him I'd use the Repti-Aid instead of insects. Try to get him to get defensive......if he opens his mouth when you reach for him or move suddenly you can squirt the Repti_aid through a syringe into his mouth. The same if you have to focre him to drink.

As for outside, I'd say if it were 70 or warmer he should be fine. If it's much cooler, especially if it's breezy, You may just cause more trouble.

You're probably better off letting the light alone for now. That way things stay the same and cause less stress.

Have you changed the soil in you plants or are they still in the soil that they were purchased in?

Kevin

thanks guys
he seems to still be drinking and being as active as he usually is. so i won't risk stressing him to feed him.i will tr to perhaps get some wax worms in there for him to munch.
the soil is a organic one,i changed it the day we got them.
thanks really for the quick responses. other than the blood he seems to be acting as he was when he got here.

Back
Top Bottom