Blood Everywhere!

JonnyB22

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled, Male, about a year old, have had him for about a month.
Handling - Just to bring him home, and to the vet for a check up.
Feeding - Large crickets, 6 a day, gut-loading with collard greens.
Supplements - Dusting crickets with Rep-Cal Herptivite Once a week. Dusting Crickets with Rep-Cal Phosphorus free Calcium With Vit. D3 once a month
Watering - I use the Repti-Fogger for drinking purposes, A dripper and I also mist for 20-30 seconds twice daily.
Fecal Description - Fairly hard brown with white/yellow urate, Not tested yet.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Repti-Breeze, all screen cage, 24”x24”x48”
Lighting - Repti-Glo 5.0 UVB 18” Bulb, Zoo-Med 50W basking light, 12 hours on 12 hours off.
Temperature - 90 F at basking spot 75 F at bottom of cage. With a Infrared Temp Gun
Humidity - 50%-70% , Cold air humidifier, also a Repti-Fogger. Digital Hygrometer
Plants - I’m using fake plants.
Placement - In a extra storage room in our apartment. No fans, air vents, no high traffic. About 6 feet up.
Location - Colorado in the dry desert.
Current Problem -

After waking up, I went to check on our chameleons as I do every morning. I noticed there was a lot of blood on the floor of the cage from our 1 year old male Veiled. He doesn't seem to have any cuts on the outside of his body. Upon further inspection we noticed that his vent looks a little darker than normal. He seems to be acting normal. He hasn't ate anything that would cut him internally. We have only been feeding him crickets and nothing else. The only chameleon vet in our town is not open today. Any Advise on what to do?

Attachments

• IMG_3778.jpg
    IMG_3778.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_3776.jpg
    IMG_3776.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_3777.jpg
    IMG_3777.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 205
If it is blood it should be dry and black at least by now.

I am sorry your guy is maybe having problems, but the best bet is to see if you can have a quick appointment at the vets.

Especially if it IS blood.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled, Male, about a year old, have had him for about a month.
Handling - Just to bring him home, and to the vet for a check up.
Feeding - Large crickets, 6 a day, gut-loading with collard greens.
Gutloading with collard greens is good because it is high in Calcium, but you should be gutloading with other fruits and veggies aswell. Gutloading with fresh is the way to go but there are plenty of premade cricket gutload available by a lot of the sponsors. (ex. Cricket Crack, Kricket Feast, Dino Fuel)
Chameleons need a variety in their diet as well, you might want to add either hornworms or silkworms (not as a staple but for variety)

Supplements - Dusting crickets with Rep-Cal Herptivite Once a week. Dusting Crickets with Rep-Cal Phosphorus free Calcium With Vit. D3 once a month
Your supplements are good but need a little tweaking.
1. Calcium w/0 d3 should be given every feeding
2. Calcium w/d3 should be given twice a month
3. Herptivite should be given twice a month aswell.
I always alternated the last two every Saturday!

Watering - I use the Repti-Fogger for drinking purposes, A dripper and I also mist for 20-30 seconds twice daily.
Fecal Description - Fairly hard brown with white/yellow urate, Not tested yet.
As long as the urate is not orange you should be ok. Orange is a sign of dehydration. Hornworms can help with this. Maybe your little guy was constipated and had some trouble.
Cage Info:
Cage Type - Repti-Breeze, all screen cage, 24”x24”x48”
Lighting - Repti-Glo 5.0 UVB 18” Bulb, Zoo-Med 50W basking light, 12 hours on 12 hours off.
The bulbs look good! A little tip. The Repti sun emits a better amount of UVB and lasts longer aswell. I usually change mine out every 6 months.
Temperature - 90 F at basking spot 75 F at bottom of cage. With a Infrared Temp Gun
Humidity - 50%-70% , Cold air humidifier, also a Repti-Fogger. Digital Hygrometer
Plants - I’m using fake plants.
Placement - In a extra storage room in our apartment. No fans, air vents, no high traffic. About 6 feet up.
Location - Colorado in the dry desert.
Current Problem -

After waking up, I went to check on our chameleons as I do every morning. I noticed there was a lot of blood on the floor of the cage from our 1 year old male Veiled. He doesn't seem to have any cuts on the outside of his body. Upon further inspection we noticed that his vent looks a little darker than normal. He seems to be acting normal. He hasn't ate anything that would cut him internally. We have only been feeding him crickets and nothing else. The only chameleon vet in our town is not open today. Any Advise on what to do?

As said above, try getting some hornworms in other than that its very puzzling as to what happened. Hope this has helped :)

Back
Top Bottom