Bloated female Cham

Does it have a negative impact? I’ll sort it out after she has layed,
It causes a risk for impaction. Yes, definitely remove it after she lays! Chameleons either need completely bioactive (only with a healthy chameleon and proper husbandry) or completely bare cage bottoms. No in-betweens

It causes a risk for impaction. Yes, definitely remove it after she lays! Chameleons either need completely bioactive (only with a healthy chameleon and proper husbandry) or completely bare cage bottoms. No in-betweens
Okay I see, I’ll sort that out as soon as possible, thank you :)

Id try a bigger lay bin I don’t think 9x9 is sufficient. If she’s completely stopped eating and still hasn’t shown interest in the larger lay bin you may want to fill a garbage can or something large with roughly 12 inches of lay media. Place a couple sticks in there and her uvb on top and place her in there during the day time. She can go back in her enclosure at night time, unless she is digging leave her in there. This might do the trick. They usually lay a day or 2 after stopped eating, anything after this and you’re seriously risking egg bound. Vet visit may be necessary.
Hello, I’ve put her in a empty bin filled with playsand and she just keeps eating the sand, and she is just trying to escape she’s been in there around 30 minutes and is still trying, can you advise?

Veiled females almost always eat the sand. It may be that they are looking for calcium or other nutrients. I always have used a playsand produced by King's that comes in a white bag with red, blue, yellow sand box toys on it. It has never caused an impaction or infection with any of my chameleons.

Does she have a branch or plant in there with her? A light?
I use the 65 litre Rubbermaid type bins for this and cut away most of the lid, screen it over and fill it about 10 " deep with the sand...add a branch and a plant. This waynyouncan put the lid on and add a UVB light over the screened part of the lid.

Veiled females almost always eat the sand. It may be that they are looking for calcium or other nutrients. I always have used a playsand produced by King's that comes in a white bag with red, blue, yellow sand box toys on it. It has never caused an impaction or infection with any of my chameleons.

Does she have a branch or plant in there with her? A light?
I use the 65 litre Rubbermaid type bins for this and cut away most of the lid, screen it over and fill it about 10 " deep with the sand...add a branch and a plant. This waynyouncan put the lid on and add a UVB light over the screened part of the lid.
I believe that’s the same sand I have, she’s been eating it before and has always pooped it out which is good,
She’s been in there for a few hours now and hasn’t done anything apart from scratch at the walls, I’ve filled an old bin with the sand and she has her uvb, I’ve hovered her heat lamp quite far away just because it’s quite cold in my house, I don’t have any small enough branches apart from the those tiny bamboos

Attachments

• E34193BB-84E4-4AB9-B867-1619A07FD719.jpeg
    E34193BB-84E4-4AB9-B867-1619A07FD719.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 59
It was around 6 inches but I’ve put in a smaller bin which is about 11 or 12
NO..... the other was better... And now you have made it so that she can go between the two bins and get stuck... 6 inches in depth is fine.

And the problem with this method is you do not know how close she actually is to laying.

Which is why providing the correct bin in the cage is always a better idea. So they can lay when they are ready. Setting it up so she is not exposed when she is down on the bottom is important. She is not going to want to be seen when she starts to dig.

laybin graphic.jpg

NO..... the other was better... And now you have made it so that she can go between the two bins and get stuck... 6 inches in depth is fine.

And the problem with this method is you do not know how close she actually is to laying.

Which is why providing the correct bin in the cage is always a better idea. So they can lay when they are ready. Setting it up so she is not exposed when she is down on the bottom is important. She is not going to want to be seen when she starts to dig.

View attachment 289668
Okay got it, I am just going to rearrange her viv to fit a larger bin in there so she can go when she likes

Okay got it, I am just going to rearrange her viv to fit a larger bin in there so she can go when she likes
Situate a plant in front of the bin so it is blocking the front view... Then since you have a glass enclosure. Take cardboard or something solid non reflective and cover the bottom half of the outside of the cage on each side. This will give her privacy. Then she won't feel so exposed.

Situate a plant in front of the bin so it is blocking the front view... Then since you have a glass enclosure. Take cardboard or something solid non reflective and cover the bottom half of the outside of the cage on each side. This will give her privacy. Then she won't feel so exposed.
Okay I’ll do that thank you for your help, I am new to this so much appreciated

You’ve already gotten great advice. Remove the reptibark...besides risk of eating it and impaction, she may try to dig in that which will prove disappointing to her. Put in your enclosure an appropriately sized lay bin with ways for her to get in/out. Cover just the bottom visible parts of the enclosure. When she is ready to lay, she will find the bin and take care of business. As long as your husbandry has been correct, all should go without problem, but still remain alert.
Btw, she is absolutely gorgeous!

You’ve already gotten great advice. Remove the reptibark...besides risk of eating it and impaction, she may try to dig in that which will prove disappointing to her. Put in your enclosure an appropriately sized lay bin with ways for her to get in/out. Cover just the bottom visible parts of the enclosure. When she is ready to lay, she will find the bin and take care of business. As long as your husbandry has been correct, all should go without problem, but still remain alert.
Btw, she is absolutely gorgeous!
Thank you so much, I’ve removed all the bark now, I’ll keep an eye on her :)

Good luck with her. She is probably one of the most beautiful translucent Veileds I have seen.
Thank you so much, she’s my first, she really is beautiful
I was wondering will these colours stay or do they show up only when she’s on her “cycle”

Attachments

• 3445BCAB-A419-481B-A115-2E87D61A19A2.jpeg
    3445BCAB-A419-481B-A115-2E87D61A19A2.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 67
Thank you so much, she’s my first, she really is beautiful
I was wondering will these colours stay or do they show up only when she’s on her “cycle”
So her receptive and gravid colors will come with her cycle. But her pattern where she has the white should remain if she is mature now. My male has this but he also has black coming in where there was pink skin. He does not have all the white your girl has. She is the first one I have seen that shows this much white.

So her receptive and gravid colors will come with her cycle. But her pattern where she has the white should remain if she is mature now. My male has this but he also has black coming in where there was pink skin. He does not have all the white your girl has. She is the first one I have seen that shows this much white.
Hiya again, she hasn’t shown any signs of laying and hasn’t even touched her bin , do you think this calls for a vet visit, I feel like she’s been more lethargic today and has also got little lumps that I couldn’t see before, also I don’t know if this is related but she has been straining and almost looking like she’s vomiting, her stomach sucks In and her mouth comes open, it’s quite worrying to watch, do you have a clue what that could be about ?

Attachments

• E0AE29C2-08CF-4E0F-99D6-0D21086C9431.jpeg
    E0AE29C2-08CF-4E0F-99D6-0D21086C9431.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 62
Hiya again, she hasn’t shown any signs of laying and hasn’t even touched her bin , do you think this calls for a vet visit, I feel like she’s been more lethargic today and has also got little lumps that I couldn’t see before, also I don’t know if this is related but she has been straining and almost looking like she’s vomiting, her stomach sucks In and her mouth comes open, it’s quite worrying to watch, do you have a clue what that could be about ?
Yes, IMO this calls for a vet visit with an actual exotic vet that knows chams. I would have an xray done as well.
I think she is holding a ton of eggs... I think it is making it hard for her to breathe.

Back
Top Bottom