blaptica dubia

brandaleon

I just received my shipment of dubia roaches. These things are huge. Can a adult panther chameleon really eat these things. My cham is a baby so I hope to have an established colony before he is able to eat these. I am just concerned because they seem too big.
:confused:

I only feed late stage nymphs to my 10 mo veiled. He packs down some pretty large ones sometimes, but I've never fed him an adult. Your adults should be your breeders, your nymphs should be your feeders.

I big nymph can be 3-4 crickets worth of food. Sometimes more.

I would recommend keeping all the adults and let them keep breeding nice for you. Just feed off the small to medium nymphs. Make sure you leave a few mediums to grow to adults to make sure you'll always have newer adults coming into your colony. You can actually feed off some adult males if you wish. Just make sure your ratio is at least roughly 1:3(females).

Although my male panther (16" TL) would never eat even mid-sized Orange-Headed Roaches (similar in size to B. dubia), my female, who was about 5" SVL, would happily gorge down full grown roaches, in multiples. She would eat anything she could fit any part of in her mouth, even if it took her ten minutes of chewing on it to get it all down.

Back
Top Bottom