black spots showed up overnight

jenfur427

Established Member
Hey y'all. I was feeding Mango this morning and saw some black spots that definitely were not there yesterday. Bruises? Burns?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - female panther, 5-6 months, had her for 2 months.
  • Handling - when she wants to come out. I did get her out yesterday to clean her cage and took some pics since the lighting was good and she just shed the day before. Got out this morning when I saw the marks to take a better pic to show y'all. I get her out when she comes out onto my hand but she ends up just hanging out on a plant or on my head. We don't force her out.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? cup fed or hand fed gut loaded crickets and Dubias, occasional wax worm, BSFL
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? zoomed calcium without d3 daily, with d3 every other Sunday.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? misted twice a day for 3-4 minutes, she will also drink out of a syringe after eating, I do also see her drinking water drops
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? soft but solid brown with white urates, once a day or so. not tested.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? screen 36x36x18. Will upgrade eventually, breeder suggested a smaller cage to start since she was little when I got her
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 36 inch T5 HO set on cage top, 9 inches from basking branch. 75w heat bulb not set on cage, basking area is a steady 90º. lights on from 7am to 7pm and I cover the cage when she sleeps at night so it's completely dark. no night lights or heat.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? cage floor is our house temp at 74, basking is 90, but I have seen her hang upside down on her cage under the UVB and heat bulb which is closer than the 9 inch branch I have set up for her.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 30-40ish during the day, 60-70 when spraying. measured with a probe
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? yes, two pothos and an umbrella. Some fake plants but she's never tried to eat them.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? set in the entryway out of the main walkways, off the living room. She seems to prefer the doors left open when we are home. when they are closed she stays at the back of the cage, when they are open she comes to the front of the cage and just hangs out in her normal resting colors. top of cage is maybe just shy of 6 feet from the floor, but she tends to hang out on the branch on the front left of pic, right at my eye level. Normally just sits at the front of the cage on that branch and watches what we are doing. Doesn't run away when we are walking around, not fired up or dark, just resting colors.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Dallas area of Texas

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Noticed a dark spot on her this morning and when I got her out to take a pic, saw another mark on her leg. Marks definitely not there yesterday. I do notice that she likes to hang out upside down on her cage under the UVB and heat bulb. Heat bulb is not set on cage, but with her hanging upside down I don't know how I'm supposed to have the lights suspended if they're supposed to be 9 inches from her basking branch but she wants to hang out upside down closer?

Attachments

• IMG_5422.jpeg
    IMG_5422.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_5420.jpeg
    IMG_5420.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_5421.jpeg
    IMG_5421.jpeg
    247.8 KB · Views: 127
@Thatcher cricket bite makes sense. I always hand feed but last yesterday one jumped out of my hand and got away from me. I couldn't find it in her cage but saw it this morning right before she ate it.

Back
Top Bottom