Black spot under jaw

So i have recently went on holiday to my grandparents and i dont think my chameleon took it too well... its curently been 2 days since ive been here and today i noticed a black spot under my jacksons jaw. He has been getting real sun a lot lately and almost no lamps and has been on the metal part of the cage lately. I dont know if he got burnt or its because of stress he didnt have it this morning. and he has been eating less since we got here. My grandma said she saw it eating and out of six crickets i counted 3 in his cage

Attachments

• 16310187972646450305612389608367.jpg
    16310187972646450305612389608367.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
So i have recently went on holiday to my grandparents and i dont think my chameleon took it too well... its curently been 2 days since ive been here and today i noticed a black spot under my jacksons jaw. He has been getting real sun a lot lately and almost no lamps and has been on the metal part of the cage lately. I dont know if he got burnt or its because of stress he didnt have it this morning. and he has been eating less since we got here. My grandma said she saw it eating and out of six crickets i counted 3 in his cage
Wow, he's beautiful. Unfortunately I don't know but I'm sure people will be here to answer soon.

@JacksJill @Mendez @Kaizen
These people know a lot about Jackson’s so hopefully one of them can answer your questions now that I’ve tagged them in. If you do free range feeding and a cricket was loose in his cage last night it might have bitten him. You should always take out any uneaten bugs, especially crickets, before lights out every day. Have you looked in his mouth to see if there are any red spots in there? Try to see if you can get him to open his mouth without you having to do it for him. Trying to forcefully open his mouth yourself could cause damage so don’t try yourself.

Is that a fur tree in his enclosure? They are sap producing trees and aren’t good for chams! Have you tried gently wiping off the black spot with a damp paper towel or damp tip?

No its not thats just a random tree in the balcony its not hos enclousure one but i havent tried that yet tomorow morning ill try giving him a bath
These people know a lot about Jackson’s so hopefully one of them can answer your questions now that I’ve tagged them in. If you do free range feeding and a cricket was loose in his cage last night it might have bitten him. You should always take out any uneaten bugs, especially crickets, before lights out every day. Have you looked in his mouth to see if there are any red spots in there? Try to see if you can get him to open his mouth without you having to do it for him. Trying to forcefully open his mouth yourself could cause damage so don’t try yourself.

How do i get him to open it without forcing it? Do i have to wait till he drinks/eat

No, don’t bathe him, there’s no need to do that and I don’t think it’s good for chams to bathe them but just wet a quip and try to wipe the spot off is all. I’m not sure how to get a Jackson’s to willingly open their mouths, I have a Jackson’s as well and they’re pretty laid back. With some other species like a veiled male Cham you can show them a mirror and they’ll open their mouth and hiss. Never mind getting him to open his mouth.

If it's not bug guts that will wipe off with a cotton swab then bite or bruise is a possibility. If you make them angry they will open their mouth. With mine I just touch their sides and they open up or tempt them with something hand fed to get a look. Definitely keep an eye on it if it grows at all then a vet visit is advised.

My 2 cent’s worth: As experienced as any of us might be, there’s no online substitute for a proper veterinary exam, from a chameleon-experienced vet. That being said, such a focused discoloured area might be a bite or sting. But again, I am not a vet, and am merely suggesting how the one picture strikes me.

Back
Top Bottom