Black Silkworms? Gold Cocoon?

desultadox

Established Member
I was just at Coastal Silkworms' website and I noticed they offer "black silkworms" and silkworms with "gold cocoons." I can't find anything about that on Google and it seems to me like they're just regular silkworms with very thick black bands. Is there any benefit to these? What's so special about the gold cocoon, too? It says the zebras that produce gold cocoons aren't even sexually dimorphic like the regular zebras. That sounds like a con. So yeah, just wondering if anybody knows anything about these and if they're any different from the silkworms we're all used to.

http://coastalsilkworms.com/store/index.php?cPath=4_29

http://coastalsilkworms.com/store/index.php?cPath=4_30

I have Zebras and they are making white cocoons, right now in my garage. Never seen any "gold cocoons". The banding on the blacks is quite interesting, could it be a hybrid?

I have some black silkies in the past. They do create yellow cocoons.
As far as benefit goes, there isn't much difference if we are dealing with nutrition for your chameleon.
If you are going to use the cocoon for making silk, then... it's a whole different story.

Pam gave me these...not sure about the original source and none are large enough to cocoon yet, but I could let a few if we want to do an experiment.:D

DSCN8904.jpg

Pam gave me these...not sure about the original source and none are large enough to cocoon yet, but I could let a few if we want to do an experiment.:D

DSCN8904.jpg

Hi, how did they cocoon???

The zebras, does it seem that you have reverse zebras as well?? So, the white ones really are the males and the zebras are females? did they all cocoon gold??

thanks for your answer.

Hi, how did they cocoon???

The zebras, does it seem that you have reverse zebras as well?? So, the white ones really are the males and the zebras are females? did they all cocoon gold??

thanks for your answer.

It would be beneficial if you checked the date of the last post before replying to a thread. :cool:

Yeah I know it is an old post.. but I am curious.

I have these black ones too! I think they are adorable. Nutrition wise are the same.

The gold gumm gets washed off when they soak the cocoons in water to get silk thread.

In sericulture, gold is not as desirable. However, when we were children, we'd occasionally get one out of like a hundred that spins gold and it gets us very excited. :D

Gold cocoons originally are from tropical zone silkworm called multi life cycles silkworm. It means the eggs not fall in hibernation in winter therefore, there a multiple life cycle in a years.
Nowaday, it is hard to find pure clean breed, so the features that I mention above is not guarantee.

Gold cocoons originally are from tropical zone silkworm called multi life cycles silkworm. It means the eggs not fall in hibernation in winter therefore, there a multiple life cycle in a years.
Nowaday, it is hard to find pure clean breed, so the features that I mention above is not guarantee.

I feel like I am looking at a copy of myself...but not quite.

In my quest to understand more about the silkworms available in the US, I think I have learned more about the breeds here in the US, just little bit shy of the suppliers themselves, or maybe, even more about their own silkworms than they do.

The Black ones, I market them Tiger Silks, a translation of the Chinese term. They are indeed a multi voltine strain. The sex delimited or regular zebras, along with pink and green cocoons, are all hybrids produced by ONE egg factory. I have already spoken with the egg producer and read their publications, and these eggs do not come from China. They are all F1 hybrids, mostly 4 way. The Tigers, in particular, are 1pure and 1 hybrid cross and are very hardy thanks to their multivoltine nature, and yes, the exotic colors tend to come from hotter climates.

Back
Top Bottom