black cricket

I have also been geting different crix mixed in here in san diego. They definitely do have more exoskeleton as mentioned above -- the head and thorax are much bigger and more armored where our regular crix are just big bags of juice! Bite wise they are no worse than an equal size male regular cricket and I use them freely.

Hm, WEIRD! :) I haven't run into any of the Black Crickets but I guess it won't be long until I do. On my way to my mom's house I stopped by LLL in Oceanside to pick some crickets up and might stop on the way back for some more, they were the good ol' brownies. Hmmm... I'm curiouse to try them out now.

I found they didn't climb to the light the way the brown crickets do. As the chameleon is most often at the top of the cage near the light, that was sort of a disadvantage.

They are little tanks though. If I needed a really good insect army, I'd take these black crickets over the brown ones.

the are just field crickets. not a huge difference from brown (domesticated) crickets. they may nip but do not draw blood.

I realized this morning that the crickets I got at Pet Kingdom (San Diego) last night are these black crickets. They're from American Cricket Ranch and are their strategy for not going out of business because of the virus. Hopefully the A. domesticus don't get wiped out completely but if they do, I'm sure glad they were able to start working this new species.

That's interesting, Kent.

I wonder if these new cricket's chitin will be an issue.

You get black crickets over here, pretty much every pet shop i've been into sells them. I've bought them like twice but have never been bit so can't say if it hurts more than being bit by a brown one. They do look evil though! :p

I picked up a box 1000 adults man these things have some meat on em an size, the big chams are lovin these instea the ons half there size....
1stflower001-7.jpg

I've always been told that the crickets we see for sale are Acheta domesticus (House Crickets = the Brown ones). Don't know what the black ones are, if you could get a species name that would help ID them.

I know the crickets found in nature around here (Pennsylvania) are black and meet you description, but am not sure of their species name.

Back
Top Bottom