Black and sleeping during day

hi106

I have had my cham for about a week. She turns really dark colors and is lethargic. When I put my hand in the enclosuer she climbs up it and turns purky green and seems happy. She drinks and eats normal but I have not seen her poop, and can find none in the enclosure anywhere.
I am gonna call a vet tomorrow but the nearest vet is 1:30 minutes away that deals with chams. Any suggestions before I make the trek?

* Your Chameleon - It is a Female Jackson, approx. 4-5 months old, been in my care for 2 days.
* Handling - Only time I have handled it was to put it in it's new home.
* Feeding - Gut loading crickets with lettuce, no vitamins yet.
* Supplements - None yet.
* Watering - Just a regular sprayer right now, water in two minute increments 2-3 times a day. Chameleon seems to drink after I water.
* Fecal Description - I have no idea what Chameleon poop looks like.
* History - Lived in the pet store for approx two months.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Built the cage from 2x4 and plastic screening, 2'x3'x4'
* Lighting - 9am-10pm is when lights are on, 100w heating bulb approx 6inches away from enclosure, 5.0 repti sun florescent UVB bulb.
* Temperature - Basking spot at top is 80-82F, floor is 70-72F, night time whole cage drops to around 68-70F
* Humidity - Between 50-70%, misting with spray bottle
* Plants - All live plants, two umbrella plants, and a hanging basket of vines, not sure the plant type.
* Placement - Located near a window with a vent under it, i have the vent shut off, and the window blinds closed, I run a ceiling fan at night for my use as it's my bed room.
* Location - Western Kentucky

* Your Chameleon - It is a Female Jackson, approx. 4-5 months old, been in my care for 5 days.
* Handling - Very rarely.
* Feeding - Gut loading crickets with carrots, potatoes
* Supplements - Used Supplements once, t-rex calcium
* Watering - Just a regular sprayer right now, water in two minute increments 2-3 times a day. Chameleon seems to drink after I water.
* Fecal Description - Seen none.
* History - Lived in the pet store for approx two months.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Built the cage from 2x4 and plastic screening, 2'x3'x4'
* Lighting - 9am-10pm is when lights are on, 100w heating bulb approx 6inches away from enclosure, 5.0 repti sun florescent UVB bulb.
* Temperature - Basking spot at top is 80-82F, floor is 70-72F, night time whole cage drops to around 68-70F
* Humidity - Between 50-70%, misting with spray bottle
* Plants - All live plants, two umbrella plants, and a hanging basket of vines, not sure the plant type.
* Placement - Located near a window with a vent under it, i have the vent shut off, and the window blinds closed, I run a ceiling fan at night for my use as it's my bed room.
* Location - Western Kentucky

We normally think that a week is a reasonable adjustment phase. So, maybe she's just getting used to things. However, the fact she willingly climbs on your hand and perks up when you hold her suggests to me that there might be something about her enclosure that is not to her liking. Maybe you should complete the How To Ask For Help form so we can offer suggestions? Just copy it and paste it into a reply then add your information.

**edited to add***

never mind, you found the form!

You said it hasn't pooped so you would have no way to give us that info, which is fine. You just got the baby.

Just as an FYI, normal chameleon "poop" is a 2 part thing. There's usually a big brown/grey/black mass that is the fecal matter and a creamy or white "thing" that is the urate...it's an obviously separate thing from the fecal matter, but it comes out at that same time.

Having a chameleon is a bit like having a newborn baby....you do sort of have to "poop gaze" to see how your baby is doing.

If the brown/grey/black mass is really gooey or disconnected, that's a sign of a problem but, just like with human digestive systems: one bad poop does not a deadly disease show.

If the urate is yellow or orange, that's probably a hydration issue...note that if the "white" urate has a yellow tip, that's okay. If there is a hydration issue it means you need to focus on getting your chameleon to drink.

you need to change up your gutload and try some dark leafy greens such as collard, mustard, kale etc and other fruits and veggies too. Regular lettuce is like feeding water.

I have had my cham for about a week. She turns really dark colors and is lethargic. When I put my hand in the enclosuer she climbs up it and turns purky green and seems happy. She drinks and eats normal but I have not seen her poop, and can find none in the enclosure anywhere.
I am gonna call a vet tomorrow but the nearest vet is 1:30 minutes away that deals with chams. Any suggestions before I make the trek?

BTW, your cham isn't "happy" when you pick her up. The color change is a response to stress...the stimulation of being picked up by a large funny looking creature that just invaded her space. If she's really spending most of her time dark, quiet, and possibly hiding, her cage isn't what she needs. She may feel too low to the ground (vulnerable) or too exposed to view and is preoccupied enough to not bask and move around normally. Do you have pics of the cage setup?

Also note that you wanna make sure to supplement your feeders every feeding, a young chameleon needs alot of calcium to encourage strong and healthy bones. Use Calcium lightly dusted each feeding, and use Calcium with D3 about twice a month..also lightly dusted.
Your gonna want to also look into Herptavite, a twice a month supplement.
You can buy different gutloads online, or buy your own materials and blend them together, freeze them in a ice cube tray, and feed your crickets that way, always remember, whatever your feeders are eating, your cham is.
A picture of your cham and enclosure would help us spot anything that may cause issues, its not necessary, but always helpful.

There is the setup. I have re arranged a little bit since I got it, but all the plants are still in the general position they are now.

Attachments

• 393228_2800694615924_1215321693_33221285_1103613777_n.jpg
    393228_2800694615924_1215321693_33221285_1103613777_n.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 91
She's very cute!

Is it normal for her not to poop?

If she's not eating, yes. Even if they are eating they don't always poop every day or even every week.

BTW, your cham isn't "happy" when you pick her up. The color change is a response to stress...the stimulation of being picked up by a large funny looking creature that just invaded her space. If she's really spending most of her time dark, quiet, and possibly hiding, her cage isn't what she needs. She may feel too low to the ground (vulnerable) or too exposed to view and is preoccupied enough to not bask and move around normally. Do you have pics of the cage setup?

Agreed. One of the saddest moments for a new owner is the realization that when our chameleon is at it's most beautiful, it is probably at it's most unhappy state. Keeping your chameleon boring is part of being a good chameleon parent...and, it's really sad that it's that way.

I noticed you said the animal is 4-5 months old. If the picture you posted is the animal in question I can say she's older than a year. If you relied on the pet store o tell you her age that explains why there is a difference.

I can not tell her weight by the pictures, but the colors are correct in that she may be gravid. Is she using her basking light when it is on or is she avoiding it?

She tends to stay away from it at all possible. Yesterday she was near it but hiding under leaves.

Back
Top Bottom