Bitten by my Cham !!!

Jish an speedy

I have had my veiled for 5 months now and from the day I got him him had always eaten out my hand got some quality videos of him shooting his tongue right at my hand with a cricket in.
So this was how I got him out his cage I held a cricket in one hand and used my other hand for him to step onto as I moved back the hand with the cricket in. He would climb onto my hand then I would let him get the cricket.
Now all of a sudden he has changed and soon as I put my hand in with a cricket he backs off and hides.
So I have been trying every few days seeing if he has changed with no success.
I read on here to use one hand and from the back of the Cham get him to focus on this hand and use your other number and put it under the Chams front hands while he is still looking at the other hand and get should step onto your hand.
So I tried this and as I put my hand round the back of him he lunged at me and latched onto my finger.
Wowww what a shock it was he had some pressure behind his bite and came as a shock because he was so happy coming out a couple of weeks ago.
So that was the end of that idea i took a bite of speedy and didn't want to feel his power agen haha so left him to it.
So am going to not handle him for a while and let him get out his mood.
So does any1 have any other ideas on getting your Cham out his home without casing any stress to them

Honestly if he doesnt like your presence there truly is no way to do it without him getting a tad stressed. You can try a stick but he is still going to run or posture up on you. Right now, I would leave him be in the cage unless it is necessary to get him out.

Best thing to do is just keep offering food and let him get comfortable with you on his accord. Right now you are pressing the issue. It takes time but generally they will calm down into adulthood. At the same time though some just wont be tamed no matter hard you try.

Good luck.

Maybe the hand near the back made him feel threatened? I just put my hand under and in front and mine walks right on, but he's always been like that, just lucky I guess. My carpet cham never liked being handled, but if I needed him out, I would go about it the same way, from the front and under sort of sneaking under his feet a bit and I could pick him up. I'd give him some time to chill.

Chams get grumpy, just like people. Certain times they don't want you to hold them. They are not like dogs. You can only "train" them to a certain extent by acclimation. Sometimes they are grumpier than usual, like when they are getting ready to shed.

The key is to use your senses of observation to assess their mood at the moment and decide if it is best to keep your distance. Sometimes you can reach behind them to coax them onto your hand, but most times they do not like that and may bite you.

The less stress you give your chameleon, the happier and healthier it will be. It is up to you to determine what that stress threshold is, and it is different for every chameleon. No two are alike, just like people. I've had a few CB's that were really friendly and associated people with food and good things, and others that had to have no view of people or their health would go downhill.

I take off my belt...roll it around one hand to shorten it to desired length...then I mercilessly beat my chameleon until my thirst for violence is sated...

They usually behave after that, but if not, you can try to get some wax worms or any treat to see if the cham will come around.

I take off my belt...roll it around one hand to shorten it to desired length...then I mercilessly beat my chameleon until my thirst for violence is sated...

They usually behave after that, but if not, you can try to get some wax worms or any treat to see if the cham will come around.

PLEASE NEVER HAVE CHILDREN!!!!!! Just kidding as I'm sure you were also
:D

Thanks every1 else for your input I will bide my time with him and wait till he is shooting his tongue at food out of my hand before trying to get him out.
Thanks again

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372045476.104636.jpg
Speedy before his change of temperament.
Happy as larry

He will come around, he will just do on his time schedule. That is life with our chamkids, watching and worrying.

Back
Top Bottom