Birdcage?

ajacobson

I mean the pretty iron birdcages... Would it be okay to house a chameleon in one, if you put a mesh or plastic web(? I've seen it on here, its green and is supposed to be better for chams claws) over the bars? I know I recently saw a posting where someone used a giant version of the type of birdcage I'm talking about- I think his cham's name was Leo?

Can anyone tell me any cons of using this type of cage?

This is an example of what I mean....but I would use a larger one.

http://www.amazon.com/Antique-Style...5?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1276060274&sr=1-5

The short answer......Definately will work.....But I just dont know if your gonna have an easy time keeping food items, heat and uvb equipment managable with that type of cage. it may not be worth the work. After all that cage is awesome and alone it will look great but your gonna need to accomodate the chameleon with other hardware that may impede the look you were going for. Unless of course you are in a locale where this cage could be outdoors? Good luck and please post pics if you do end up getting it. Thanks ;)

Yea, I'd probably get a different one, but that was just an example... maybe one with a flat top to better hold lighting...

Then again....it's all just an idea lol Maybe I'll stick with building a mesh cage. ;)

I think that's completely do-able...you know what the chameleon needs and can adapt the cage appropriately. Post pictures of whatever you do!!!

I think that's completely do-able...you know what the chameleon needs and can adapt the cage appropriately. Post pictures of whatever you do!!!

I'm definitely considering it! ....now I just have to wait to find the perfect ones. Plus I like how most of the birdcages have a drainage pan built in.

It sounds like it would work, i never thought about it but it may have some advantages over the standard cage. If he cant squeeze between the bars it may be better suited for the cham to climb on than wire mesh. Some have a flat top that can open to give him more room when your watching him. The pull out draw looks easy to clean to.

im actually setting up a large one for an outside cage at the moment, the only problems are keeping food inside but with cup feeding it shouldnt be a problem. then again im in FL so humidity isn't a problem down here.

Yes you can use a bird cage. I used to, and I know people who still do. The screen isnt important to add unless you are trying to retain feeders

yeah its definately do able. i had a veiled in one and it wasnt a problem. it was one of the ones with the curved top and he couldnt climb up there so it prevented him from burning his feet on the hot metal near the light. i didnt have to worry about keeping food items in tho cuz he would only eat out of your hand so i cant help u wit that. sorry

With all your comments, I'm definitely thinking of doing it!

So just to make sure I got it right...as long as the cham can't fit through the bars and I'm not worried about cricket escapees (I'm cup feeding)...I shouldn't even have to worry about the mesh/screen?

Ahh I'm excited for a project ;)

Back
Top Bottom