Bird Cage for Chameleons?

CBee7726

Avid Member
This might be a dumb question.... but does anyone use a bird cage for their cham's enclosure? Many of them come in large sizes, on a built-in stand, and come with a built in drainage tray that slides out.

Of course with the larger spacing in the cage wiring, this may be a no-go for some smaller species.

Is there a reason not to use one?

The two biggest reasons that I never have is because
You would have to line the cage with screen or hardware cloth, depending on the cham's size. Both to keep the cham from getting stuck /hurt , and to keep.the bugs where they belong.
And
Most have really small doors . It would be hard to get anything in or out

Another thing to consider is that current UVB husbandry guidance is for smaller square screen tops that help cancel out some of the UVB. A bird cage will allow for more UVB to penetrate to the chameleon which could result in overexposure to UVB. You also have the risk of feeder bugs escaping, harder to keep humidity levels up, etc.

I wouldn't use a birdcage. For starters, they are not tall enough and there is no way it will keep feeder incests in or keep outside insects out.

You definitely could convert a bird cage, it just makes no sense. An appropriate size bird cage is likely to cost upwards of 150-200. Then all the necessary changes, like water proofing.
If you happen to already have a cage that is good size, bird cages can make good out side time cages.

I have many birds, so I have thought about this. Just so unpractical and so much effort you could just build a custom cage.

You definitely could convert a bird cage, it just makes no sense. An appropriate size bird cage is likely to cost upwards of 150-200. Then all the necessary changes, like water proofing.
If you happen to already have a cage that is good size, bird cages can make good out side time cages.

I have many birds, so I have thought about this. Just so unpractical and so much effort you could just build a custom cage.
I guess the reason I asked is because I've seen some bird cages that either have external drainage trays or ones that can slide out for a quicker cleanup. To me this seemed more practical than the DIY route most of us go to essentially do the same thing with the repti-breeze cage.

But you're right on cost. DragonStrand is pretty expensive, but DIY conversions also get really expensive.

Another thing to consider is that current UVB husbandry guidance is for smaller square screen tops that help cancel out some of the UVB. A bird cage will allow for more UVB to penetrate to the chameleon which could result in overexposure to UVB. You also have the risk of feeder bugs escaping, harder to keep humidity levels up, etc.
And just for educational purpose, what would be the results of uvb overexposure?

That's fair... so you'd need to either put screen up on the ceiling, or use a lower output UVB

I just saw this yesterday on FB> The person was all excited because they got a huge bird cage for their cham... But guess who was able to slip out through the bars...

They really are not ideal. Also you have to worry about water damage. They are not made to have consistent exposure to water so most rust.

I just saw this yesterday on FB> The person was all excited because they got a huge bird cage for their cham... But guess who was able to slip out through the bars...

They really are not ideal. Also you have to worry about water damage. They are not made to have consistent exposure to water so most rust.

That's a good point I didn't think about.
Sooooo basically with the amount of DIY required.... we're better off just building an awesome DIY stand with built in drainage?

That's a good point I didn't think about.
Sooooo basically with the amount of DIY required.... we're better off just building an awesome DIY stand with built in drainage?
Yep... The modifications you would have to do on a bird cage would be extreme. And you would be left with an interesting thing to look at. Your better off building. It really is not that hard. I built my outdoor enclosure by myself.

Just a shot of one of the outdoor enclosures I built. Both doors swing open for easy access and it is on wheels so it's mobile.
Sorry for picture quality. Used my tablet.

Attachments

• 20201204_112407.jpg
    20201204_112407.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 20201204_113730.jpg
    20201204_113730.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 91
Yep... The modifications you would have to do on a bird cage would be extreme. And you would be left with an interesting thing to look at. Your better off building. It really is not that hard. I built my outdoor enclosure by myself.
Just a shot of one of the outdoor enclosures I built. Both doors swing open for easy access and it is on wheels so it's mobile.
Sorry for picture quality. Used my tablet.

I wish I lived somewhere where it was warm and sunny year round... this looks/sounds awesome :love:

Here we go again...! :LOL:

IME, ask a bunch of people who've never built an enclosure why they want to build one/DIY, and most will likely include, "to 🐍ave some money."

Ask a bunch of people who've actually built one or more enclosures if it saves money, and they'll likely tell you, "no, it doesn't really save money in the long run."

So why do it? Lots of reasons. Some people can & do save a little money, but not enough that they'll quit their day jobs to build enclosures full-time (though some have done that successfully too.) :unsure:

Building one yourself can be very rewarding in many ways; you can learn a LOT, get exactly what you want, acquire boosts in knowledge and self-esteem, have some fun, and if you're really good (and lucky) you may save a little money.

Is it worthwhile? I say, indubitably! And I'm not a particularly handy guy with a basement full of woodworking tools and apparatuses. In fact, I've probably less than the average bear.

I guess the reason I asked is because I've seen some bird cages that either have external drainage trays or ones that can slide out for a quicker cleanup. To me this seemed more practical than the DIY route most of us go to essentially do the same thing with the repti-breeze cage.

But you're right on cost. DragonStrand is pretty expensive, but DIY conversions also get really expensive.

Like I say though, define bird cage? My finch aviary 40inx30x40, great size, big doors, could be water proofed. I paid $200 because it had "factory damage" still pricy. It took me forever to find it. Big parrot cages the bars are wide. So just not worth it, unless you just really like the look.

wish it was though lol

Back
Top Bottom