bird advice needed

randomryan007

my step daughters stupid cat keeps catching lizards, snakes, birds ect. now i have this little baby bird just barely getting its feathers in that needs caring for. advice please on how I should feed it. I am thinking a heat lamp would work on a 10 gallon tank. i fed it a little baby rice cereal and soy formula. I am sure it needs more than that. what about meal worms, wax worms,crickets? I know moma birds regergatate their food I am not doing that

Shoot the cat - tell the kids it was an accident and she is in a better place - and take the bird to a local Animal Shelter where they will take care of his injuries better than you could...no need to say I was just jocking, right? ;)

Aww poor little thing! Nice of you to save it from the hunter! But definitely call a rescue/rehabilitator to get it to someone with experience that can raise it and release it back into nature. In many states it's actually illegal to keep wildlife, even temporarily because it will bond to you and won't be able to be rereleased very successfully. But if you can't take it to someone immediately can you post a pic so we can try to identify it? Not all birds eat the same thing so if it's a seed eater it should not get worms or bugs. Only some species, like doves, regurgitate food. And do not try to give it water at any time. (I've worked with wildlife rescues for a very long time and raised just about every species that occurs in Texas!)

it's a baby crow. I doctored his injuries and no animal shelter wants a crow! I'll look around again tomarrow.he's quite cute. althou that little ugly beek makes him cute. he had siblings but the dam cat killed and ate the other 2

Yeah, crows eat just about everything. They need high protein so moistened dog food kibbles or low fat wet dog food chunks (like science diet light) are good, and supplement that with high protein baby cereal for now. They need lots of calories, protein, and calcium at this age so soy milk and crickets aren't going to do much for it to be honest.

Best course of action is to find a rehabber in the area soon though so they can give it a better diet and keep it with other crows so it learns normal behavior and can be released when it's ready. Make sure to wash your hands after feeding it and cleaning its bedding.

Yeah, crows eat just about everything. They need high protein so moistened dog food kibbles or low fat wet dog food chunks (like science diet light) are good, and supplement that with high protein baby cereal for now. They need lots of calories, protein, and calcium at this age so soy milk and crickets aren't going to do much for it to be honest.

Best course of action is to find a rehabber in the area soon though so they can give it a better diet and keep it with other crows so it learns normal behavior and can be released when it's ready. Make sure to wash your hands after feeding it and cleaning its bedding.

so how would I feed a less than week old baby dog food kibbles?

I can't just let him die! it's not in my nature to do that. and he's soooo little. stupid stupid cat. thats it I am getting rid of the cat. I am done!

I understand. We kept a pigeon once. It pooped everywhere, lol. Honestly, instead of taking this task upon yourself call someone. They will rescue any type of bird regardless of their nuisance. haha.

Soak some kibbles in water (or diluted baby cereal if you want to skip a step!) until the kibbles are soft (not total mush) and use forceps or tweezers to gently put the food as far back into the mouth as possible without shoving it down its throat or stabbing them in the mouth, which can be hard if it's an enthusiastic eater! I hope it's begging for you by opening its mouth? Same thing goes with the cereal - mix it so it's really thick and chunky and feed it same way.

I just saw that you doctored its injuries - be aware that if your cat bit it the bacteria in its mouth (pasteurella specifically) can kill a normal, healthy bird in 36 hours unless the bird gets antibiotics. If the injuries were really minor then maybe it didn't get a big dose of it, but just be aware that it could go downhill very quickly because of it.

Here is a link to the licensed wildlife rehabbers in Arizona (second table down). Usually rehabbers work with vets so they can get the little guy on antibiotics if needed. If you're not super close to one call the closest one because sometimes they have a transport network in place so they can work with you.

Last edited:
I just saw that you doctored its injuries - be aware that if your cat bit it the bacteria in its mouth (pasteurella specifically) can kill a normal, healthy bird in 36 hours unless the bird gets antibiotics. If the injuries were really minor then maybe it didn't get a big dose of it, but just be aware that it could go downhill very quickly because of it. I'll see if I can find a rehabber in your area, where in Arizona are you?

This is true if it caused bleeding from the bite it's as sure as gone.

I just saw that you doctored its injuries - be aware that if your cat bit it the bacteria in its mouth (pasteurella specifically) can kill a normal, healthy bird in 36 hours unless the bird gets antibiotics. If the injuries were really minor then maybe it didn't get a big dose of it, but just be aware that it could go downhill very quickly because of it.

Here is a link to the licensed wildlife rehabbers in Arizona (second table down). Usually rehabbers work with vets so they can get the little guy on antibiotics if needed. If you're not super close to one call the closest one because sometimes they have a transport network in place so they can work with you.

omg don't tell me that. I really can't handle anymore animals dying! he's opening his mouth to be fed.

That cat is so gone I am done with her killing everything. I can't take it anymore!

it's a baby crow. I doctored his injuries and no animal shelter wants a crow! I'll look around again tomarrow.he's quite cute. althou that little ugly beek makes him cute. he had siblings but the dam cat killed and ate the other 2

if not a shelter, sometimes they can tell you someone who rescues animals on their own. We have quite a few people down here who have lots of land and take in animals of all kinds. Good luck!!

Call East Valley Wildlife 480-814-9339. They specialize in wild life rescue including non native birds. I have a friend that found an injured baby bird a little while back and they took and rehabbed it. They are very good with injured baby birds.

I have put their link in as it has some valuable info in on what to do in the short term with the baby sparrow.

http://www.eastvalleywildlife.org/index.htm

I would soak the kibbles in the soy milk. Get two food at once. I understand how you feel, I can't let a baby die if I have a chance of saving it I have to try. I really don't care what it is, I still give it my best. Birds, baby ones, need to eat often, so do what you can. Good luck, let me know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom