Bioactive Mentor

What did you use as the floor base I see its black and designed to flow the water towards the center into the sink drain. Trying to figure out how and what to use for that concept
My bad, I misunderstood your question.

floor is solid wood with drainage channels carved into it. Then install the drain, then 3 coats of FlexSeal to waterproof everything. Then installed the soil box with the SS mesh laid out to prevent the soil from washing out of the drain.
8676D8D4-195F-45DA-9C7B-4DD3AB30FFEA.png
BEF027CC-6D05-4D51-AA12-DD2E3676FB24.png
62DFB7F1-D30E-41B9-ACEE-48694AFA24A6.png
8676D8D4-195F-45DA-9C7B-4DD3AB30FFEA.png
BEF027CC-6D05-4D51-AA12-DD2E3676FB24.png
62DFB7F1-D30E-41B9-ACEE-48694AFA24A6.png

My bad, I misunderstood your question.

floor is solid wood with drainage channels carved into it. Then install the drain, then 3 coats of FlexSeal to waterproof everything. Then installed the soil box with the SS mesh laid out to prevent the soil from washing out of the drain.View attachment 259482View attachment 259483View attachment 259484View attachment 259482View attachment 259483View attachment 259484
Oooooooooh gotcha! That project was a beauty. I'm looking to start one soon on a dispaly case I purchased, my problem is figuring out a material I can use for the floorboard to make the water flow towards the center. But I can do a wood base and carve like you did and throw a couple layers of water sealant. I'm not good at coming up with ideas lol

Wanting to try some of that Great Pond stuff I want to try it on down the edges / corners of my inclosure what are some good waterproof sealants I can use? Can I get a tube of some waterproof silicon and just rub it throughout?

Wanting to try some of that Great Pond stuff I want to try it on down the edges / corners of my inclosure what are some good waterproof sealants I can use? Can I get a tube of some waterproof silicon and just rub it throughout?
Most of us just slather silicone on and stick the peat moss to the wet silicone. If I were doing it again now I might try the same with flex seal, not sure if this has been tried or how well it would work, but it seems to me like it would work fine.

Last edited:
Make sure you use silicone I, the kind that does not have mold inhibitors in it. Mold inhibitors can be toxic to our pets.

also, after the foam dries you have to rough the smooth surface off before you apply silicone. It won’t stick if you don’t, and it will be awkward looking. I used an angle grinder to shape mine.

I followed @Brodybreaux25 build thread to learn on my build, but I did my walls a little different than his. Here is my thread if you’re interested in checking out how I did the foam/silicone backboard.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...chameleon-step-dad.172710/page-3#post-1540280

Make sure you use silicone I, the kind that does not have mold inhibitors in it. Mold inhibitors can be toxic to our pets.

also, after the foam dries you have to rough the smooth surface off before you apply silicone. It won’t stick if you don’t, and it will be awkward looking. I used an angle grinder to shape mine.

I followed @Brodybreaux25 build thread to learn on my build, but I did my walls a little different than his. Here is my thread if you’re interested in checking out how I did the foam/silicone backboard.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...chameleon-step-dad.172710/page-3#post-1540280
That is toooo cool! Awesome job wow lol can I ask which silicon you used? And would a coat of flexseal spray work?

That is toooo cool! Awesome job wow lol can I ask which silicon you used? And would a coat of flexseal spray work?
Thank you. Wouldn’t have been able to do it without the wealth of knowledge I found here.
The flex seal in the aerosol can is NOT non-toxic. Only use the liquid version which just goes on like a really thick paint. I used GE silicone I multi purpose. Some of the big box stores carry it. It’s the only one that doesn’t say “resist mold” or “mold/mildew guarantee” or something along those lines. I’m not sure about chameleon enclosures, but in aquariums the mold inhibitors can be very toxic, so I wouldn’t take the unnecessary risk with these enclosures either.

Thank you. Wouldn’t have been able to do it without the wealth of knowledge I found here.
The flex seal in the aerosol can is not non-toxic. Only use the liquid version. I used GE silicone I multi purpose. Some of the big box stores carry it. It’s the only one that doesn’t say “resist mold” or “mold/mildew guarantee” or something along those lines.
Yeah I have an idea now thanks for the help you'll be hearing from me again lol

I was under the impression that coconut fiber is not good for Chams if they accidentally ingest it when grabbing food.
I would be using a feeder cup. But good question, they wouldn't be tempeted to eat it or lick it off the corners if it's on the foam stuff? I see everyone does it so guessing it shouldn't be an issue?

I was under the impression that coconut fiber is not good for Chams if they accidentally ingest it when grabbing food.

It's not any better or worse than peat moss.

Different types of coconut fiber. There is the coconut fiber liner, where they could eat big pieces, strands if you will. Ecoearth is powder, so they will pass it just like Peat Moss.

The ideal with the background is it shouldn't come off, if a little does, they should be able to pass it just fine. Peat Moss, will rot and decay and mold alot more than Eco Earth will, and much much faster. Meaning you will have to redo the wall sooner.

Whatever you use, do it in small areas so you can get it on the silicone before it starts to form any skin, which can happen rather quickly. I did find I had some small areas where the moss didn’t want to adhere very well. It really needs to be pressed into a liberally applied and very wet bed of whatever adhesive/sealant you use.

Back
Top Bottom