Bioactive... here I go again.

Trailgem

Avid Member
I think I’m ready. I ordered a diy cage and I’m considering my larger case to be the bio active cage. I think I got everything I need (should arrive within this week). I’m excited and nervous at the same time. I am a reptile but, but those are my first chameleons, and I have to tell you... it’s completely different. I spend a fortune. (Prob close to $1,000 so far)

Anyway... my list for bio active material from amazon is attached.

Oh, I would cover the drainage holes with mesh. Of course there will be a mister.

I already have one substrate bottom tray. But I figured I would use it for drainage and add the second tray for the actual cage (adding dirt, etc) I found some great info, but nothing like I am planing, so I hope this will work.

Check the drawing and don’t laugh. Does that make sense? I will have to clean the drain tray out by hand, but It shouldn’t be horrible

Attachments

• 74DFC203-121D-4932-BA24-69253CE28DC0.jpeg
    74DFC203-121D-4932-BA24-69253CE28DC0.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 204
  • B853AD11-120F-4C6A-A603-963DC8620F1B.png
    B853AD11-120F-4C6A-A603-963DC8620F1B.png
    312 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
What's in between the substrate trays? And I don't recommend using the substrate tray at the top, I suggest that you change it to a weed fabric or landscape fabric.

My worry would be the top drainage tray holes getting blocked. Using weed barrier fabric is the more usual method. It also allows for roots to suck up the soup created.

If I can give you a couple tips, use some Arcadia Bio Revitalser in your soil mix. The plants will do much better. You can top this up every few months adding nutrients that are lost over time.

You need to feed your CUC. Yes, they are there to shift poop and other muck from the enclosure but there isn't enough food to keep decent numbers alive. Arcadia custodian fuel is fantastic. The CUC go mad for it and all my enclosures have booming, breeding populations of both springtails and isopods.

I have to spend time cutting back some of my plants, especially the pothos as once established, they have gone crazy. It's a good problem to have.

What's in between the substrate trays? And I don't recommend using the substrate tray at the top, I suggest that you change it to a weed fabric or landscape fabric.
There is nothing in between. It’s just a metal thing (can’t think of the name) that keeps the top tray apart from the bottom drain area.

Thought It needs to be something solid, so it can keep the subtrade. I def can change the mesh to the garden barrier liner

There is nothing in between. It’s just a metal thing (can’t think of the name) that keeps the top tray apart from the bottom drain area.

Thought It needs to be something solid, so it can keep the subtrade. I def can change the mesh to the garden barrier liner

I suggest using LECA balls in between.

Your d
I saw and read this, of course. I am trying to come up with something different, and was hoping my attached drawing would work.
Yours will work but I’d have a much deeper bin and a single drainage point. I really just attached that for the soil mix content.

I know... I was thinking about adding black garden edging. I can’t find anything in the size I need.

Btw. Thanks for all the replies. I do read EVERYTHING. Some is just harder to understand, if you never done bio active setups. So... I really appreciate the time you spend replying.

Attachments

• 02410EC1-DF7F-48DD-AA5B-37DAA4A08395.png
    02410EC1-DF7F-48DD-AA5B-37DAA4A08395.png
    477.6 KB · Views: 126
Back
Top Bottom