Bioactive - drainage

Lexlynn

Established Member
As I finally continue to research going bioactive - I’m wondering do you need to drill a hole under the cage for drainage. We plan on building it so the first foot all around is closed off so we can do bioactive. My boyfriend is saying we won’t need to have a drainage underneath but that the drainage layer with absorb all the water so no water will need to leave the cage - is this okay?

Most have a way to pull out excess water. I am sure they will start chiming in but some will use a pvc tube that they cut out sections on the bottom so the water flows in it then use suction to pull out excess water. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/intro-to-bio-activity.2429
Most have a way to pull out excess water. I am sure they will start chiming in but some will use a pvc tube that they cut out sections on the bottom so the water flows in it then use suction to pull out excess water. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/intro-to-bio-activity.2429/
Yes I was thinking doing something like this on top of a stand of some sort with a drainage bucket underneath - he seems to think we do not need that so I was wondering if it’s okay if we don’t do that.

Yes I was thinking doing something like this on top of a stand of some sort with a drainage bucket underneath - he seems to think we do not need that so I was wondering if it’s okay if we don’t do that.
You would not have to do that. You could just siphon off excess water through a pvc tube that goes down to the drainage layer.

Yessir, you place a pvc or plastic tube that’s going to be slotted at the bottom of it, it has to be taller than all your substrates kinda like a tiny sump pump pit or a well, I use screen to cover it so bugs don’t get in there and drown. Then I use a small wet vac to suck out all the access water like once a month maybe longer

Yessir, you place a pvc or plastic tube that’s going to be slotted at the bottom of it, it has to be taller than all your substrates kinda like a tiny sump pump pit or a well, I use screen to cover it so bugs don’t get in there and drown. Then I use a small wet vac to suck out all the access water like once a month maybe longer
Do you have a pic of this ??

This may not work for every situation but I use a ground floor that is angled. I had some extra siding with grooves in it that I put on top of the angled floor and then built my substrate on top of that. Any extra water drains out the front of the cage to a little gutter that’s angled and makes it to the floor drain. If you don’t have a drain you can just use a bucket. There’s not much extra water and it helps if you put plants in there that suck up a lot of water. That has worked for me

Back
Top Bottom