Bioactive drainage question

Ok next question right now I have a t5 5.0 do I need to upgrade the light? I have a feeling yes just want to double check
I think the need for a 10% or 12% over a 5 or 6% depends on the amount of plant cover/screening, and distance from the light source. Only way to tell is to measure with a Solarmeter. I use a 6% with a pretty heavy canopy layer, and I feel it is appropriate. I may eventually try a 12%, but I’ve got like 3 years worth of 6% T5 tubes left to use up.

Once I have a few more things lined up, I’ll for sure post about this build.

Awesome, I've been toying with the idea of something similar in Predators new home. Have thought about using one of my old c530 for it's canister size. Haven't worked out the output recycler part yet though since it's flow is way beyond what a water fall could ever use though.

Awesome, I've been toying with the idea of something similar in Predators new home. Have thought about using one of my old c530 for it's canister size. Haven't worked out the output recycler part yet though since it's flow is way beyond what a water fall could ever use though.
I understand the issue with output. I bought the tiny fluval 106. It has decent flow, but I’m going to mount it about 3 feet below the enclosure, that should slow it a little.

Drilling glass isn't hard at all. Just go slllloooooowwwwww on drill speed. If your drill has a gear selector, #1 is likely the slower speed. Either cut a piece of wood the size you need and drill a hole through to use as template or free hand it. If you freehand tilt the drill ~45° and start your drill. Slowly work your way upright to 90° as the drill cuts the hole. Keep water in the area being drilled to cool both the glass and bit. I like to flip my exo's upside down fill that area with water then eyeball where center is go. The key is going slow letting the bit do the work with very little pressure from you. The weight of the drill is really all you want. I got my bits from Amazon, for anyone looking in the future.

As to the bioactive side, @jamest0o0 covered how I do mine already in his posts, since my females are bred. I do keep springtails in with them but nothing else.
So you can drill the bottoms of exo terras? I was told it was tempered glass. Guess I’ll be moving my bulkhead to the bottom now!

So you can drill the bottoms of exo terras? I was told it was tempered glass. Guess I’ll be moving my bulkhead to the bottom now!

You have to look for the sticker to make sure they didn't have to swap tempered for the non-tempered that it comes with standard, same for the zoo-med versions. They come standard with non-tempered 1/4 inch bottom glass. But, it was noted some where either on their sites or in my packaging. They may substitute tempered temporarily so if there's the tempered sticker don't drill bottom.

I understand the issue with output. I bought the tiny fluval 106. It has decent flow, but I’m going to mount it about 3 feet below the enclosure, that should slow it a little.

I have an ecco 2236 too that flow wise would be perfect but pretty limited space wise for media. I've been trying to think of a way to use a lower flow pump externally to feed back in but the c530 runs on 7/8 id hose. Even with warming the hose it's still a pain to strech over a 1" barb lol. My current plan is have Aliester (my daughters fire belly turtle) below predator but may have to change it so I can run a "sump" below predator to split the output of a c530.

Learning a lot in this thread. Didn't know exo terras could be drilled! Thanks for sharing @dshuld

No problem, though I trully wish I hadn't let my wife talk me into moss walls on my test exo, here is the first one I drilled last Nov. Was my first time drilling glass and I'll admit I was scared I was going to mess up but I followed others directions on drilling glass and it went smoothly. I put silicone inside so it oozes through the hole and then wipe any silicone inside like you would sealing anything else.

20181111_144325-1.jpg

No problem, though I trully wish I hadn't let my wife talk me into moss walls on my test exo, here is the first one I drilled last Nov. Was my first time drilling glass and I'll admit I was scared I was going to mess up but I followed others directions on drilling glass and it went smoothly. I put silicone inside so it oozes through the hole and then wipe any silicone inside like you would sealing anything else.

View attachment 228432
I just drilled my tops about a week ago. Never did it before either. I actually broke the cheap 1/8 inch glass from Lowe’s, but the 1/4 inch was a breeze.
image.jpg

Thank everyone for the info. I’m still gathering everything I need solar-meter is on my list as well as a thermostat. I’m no way ready to start maybe in 6 months after my move but gathering as much knowledge as I can so when I do start I’m not caught with my d out (figure of speech of course)

Last edited:
I just drilled my tops about a week ago. Never did it before either. I actually broke the cheap 1/8 inch glass from Lowe’s, but the 1/4 inch was a breeze.View attachment 228433

Love the glass swap in the original top, how'd you secure it? I've seen the ones just laid in but don't think I've seen this swap yet. The drilling I'm concerned on is of my atasuki for predator. I think my wife and daughter will kill me if I crack that one lol. It's 1/4 plate from what I can tell but it's the 48x19x24 so the panel size has me a bit worried. I also have six zilla's to drill yet too :cautious:.

Love the glass swap in the original top, how'd you secure it? I've seen the ones just laid in but don't think I've seen this swap yet. The drilling I'm concerned on is of my atasuki for predator. I think my wife and daughter will kill me if I crack that one lol. It's 1/4 plate from what I can tell but it's the 48x19x24 so the panel size has me a bit worried. I also have six zilla's to drill yet too :cautious:.
Pulled the spline and the screening out. This leaves a nice shelf to silicone the glass to. It makes it so the silicone is holding it in when the top goes on the tank. I was worried about
image.jpg
the silicone being able to hold the weight of the glass, but it’s been about two weeks so I think I’m in the clear. The pic is of the inside part of the lid.

Pulled the spline and the screening out. This leaves a nice shelf to silicone the glass to. It makes it so the silicone is holding it in when the top goes on the tank. I was worried aboutView attachment 228441 the silicone being able to hold the weight of the glass, but it’s been about two weeks so I think I’m in the clear. The pic is of the inside part of the lid.

That's pretty sweet. Never would have thought of that before lol.

This is an inspiring conversation - I can't wait to start sketching things up and planning! I was originally going to be bringing my boy home in late August, but I may push my purchase back a clutch to make sure everything's perfect. I'm also concerned about my wallet, the way things are going haha! :ROFLMAO:

This is an inspiring conversation - I can't wait to start sketching things up and planning! I was originally going to be bringing my boy home in late August, but I may push my purchase back a clutch to make sure everything's perfect. I'm also concerned about my wallet, the way things are going haha! :ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO: I know that feeling well. I've been looking at the atasuki enclosure for a long for a time. I wanted to do a bio enclosure for my bp but didn't trust having one shipped to me due to reviews of being broken during shipping. My local shop got some in for far below what they sell for online so I snagged one. I'm glad I did because they went up after their first round of them sold out in three days. Since you're not in a big rush, watch fb market and Craigslist for the cage you're wanting to pop up in the mean time. I've seen everything from dragon strands to big exo's pop up near me.

I'm the same way, enclosure layout is like art to me. I remember spending a few hours just arranging my bromeliads in my enclosure. I'd love to make a mechanically+biologically filtered water feature one day.

Sorry to hijack -- but i'm scouring the forums for bioactive info and I am wondering about Bromeliads--

They're SO pretty but they do not re-flower after like 2 seasons --it's just green leaf unless you can get the pup to reproduce but I have never successfully done that. I don't mind just the leafs as they are great water catchers, but if I go bioactive I also want it to be pretty. Have your "pups" grown better in the "controlled" enclosure? I imagine you're not swapping out plants much in a bioactive...I live in CO and only kept Broms inside here.

I'm not brave enough to drill my exo when I get it. I'm just going to do the pvc pipe

I was going to say, make the pump removeable. Could do the PVC idea like you would with the baster, but keep the pump inside of it. Put a cap on the pvc, maybe drill a hole in it for the tubing and wire to come through. If the pump ever needs replace just take the cap off, pull the pump out, and replace with a new one. Just some ideas, doesn't have to be done that way of course.

Trying to picture what you are talking about. You are saying to get a 2" pvc pipe with the pump inside the pipe at the bottom?

Back
Top Bottom