Bioactive drainage question

@GoodKarma19 btw, saw your waterfall post. I actually was going to do similar for my parson's since their areas commonly have high humidity and streams. I wouldn't want my cham drinking recycled drainage water, but you could set it up so it lightly goes over some mossy rocks or something where he wouldn't notice it enough to drink, but could keep moss growing. Could also have some carnivorous plants with good light, they like constant water. Or if you really wanted a waterfall maybe just arrange it so the cham couldn't get to it? Unless you want to go through the work of having filtration and all of that. Could make a really cool side project, let us know how it goes.

The substrate can be the laying bin. And you can leave the infertile eggs for the cuc to eat. Chameleons actually don't look for depth as much as they look for roots/rocks to lay eggs. So I had some plants growing out, a corner with some large rocks buried/partially buried, another area with some cork bark and moss. Some open areas... just give her plenty of options and you'll be good. If you're looking for fertile eggs, I'd hesitate to use isopods as they munch on calcium sources often and I wouldn't trust with eggs.
Ok so Imelda’s clutches I’m not 100% sure if they are infertile he second owner told told me the first owner told her she may have been exposed to a male. So would it be best for the first few clutches to provide an alternative laying bin then the bio

No James not at all your very respected in my eyes and when I have questions more then happy to see you pop up and give advice. You made me fall in love with parsons as well.

Appreciate it. One day when you get a Parsons, you'll have to set up a sick bio enclosure for him (y)

I just get sucked into the bioactive topics haha, everyone goodkarma mentioned is great as well. I told goodkarma about extensionofgreen, but anyone that isn't familiar, look up his old threads/posts for tons of great info.

Ok so Imelda’s clutches I’m not 100% sure if they are infertile he second owner told told me the first owner told her she may have been exposed to a male. So would it be best for the first few clutches to provide an alternative laying bin then the bio

You could still have a bio, just make it easily accessible so you can dig them up. Just use spring tails for now and the eggs will be good.

Drilling glass isn't hard at all. Just go slllloooooowwwwww on drill speed. If your drill has a gear selector, #1 is likely the slower speed. Either cut a piece of wood the size you need and drill a hole through to use as template or free hand it. If you freehand tilt the drill ~45° and start your drill. Slowly work your way upright to 90° as the drill cuts the hole. Keep water in the area being drilled to cool both the glass and bit. I like to flip my exo's upside down fill that area with water then eyeball where center is go. The key is going slow letting the bit do the work with very little pressure from you. The weight of the drill is really all you want. I got my bits from Amazon, for anyone looking in the future.

As to the bioactive side, @jamest0o0 covered how I do mine already in his posts, since my females are bred. I do keep springtails in with them but nothing else.

@GoodKarma19 btw, saw your waterfall post. I actually was going to do similar for my parson's since their areas commonly have high humidity and streams. I wouldn't want my cham drinking recycled drainage water, but you could set it up so it lightly goes over some mossy rocks or something where he wouldn't notice it enough to drink, but could keep moss growing. Could also have some carnivorous plants with good light, they like constant water. Or if you really wanted a waterfall maybe just arrange it so the cham couldn't get to it? Unless you want to go through the work of having filtration and all of that. Could make a really cool side project, let us know how it goes.

The more I think about it the more I love the idea, honestly! I'm very attracted to creative challenges, and I feel that if I do the leg work I can essentially create a dripper/waterfall utilizing purified water from the water table. I'm going to chew on this one a bit and take a look around the dendro boards for inspiration, maybe hit up RABS. I'll hit you up after I give it some thought and see if you think it'll be suitable, or just a pipe dream. (y)

The more I think about it the more I love the idea, honestly! I'm very attracted to creative challenges, and I feel that if I do the leg work I can essentially create a dripper/waterfall utilizing purified water from the water table. I'm going to chew on this one a bit and take a look around the dendro boards for inspiration, maybe hit up RABS. I'll hit you up after I give it some thought and see if you think it'll be suitable, or just a pipe dream. (y)

I'm the same way, enclosure layout is like art to me. I remember spending a few hours just arranging my bromeliads in my enclosure. I'd love to make a mechanically+biologically filtered water feature one day.

Sorry typed most of that one out before seeing the planter box mentioned. I use lifefard aquatics double threaded bulk heads, in my wood boxes and exo's. Exo's I just silicone in place, wood boxes get the bulk head silicone in place then I use the paint on flex seal inside the box to seal it and make a "slope" as best as possible into the bulk head.

Appreciate it. One day when you get a Parsons, you'll have to set up a sick bio enclosure for him (y)
Yes right now my veileds are my starters the dream is a parson. The more I read about them the more I fell in love and was amazed by them. Panthers are beautiful but when a chameleon egg can take up to two years to hatch that’s perfection right there

I’m actually building my dart tank with a recirculating waterfall feature. I’m way over filtering the water though. Using a canister filter meant for 4 times the volume, in-line UV sterilizer, not to mention the 5 inches of matala filter media in the tank to provide more beneficial bacteria along with fish too. If this system works well, it will be the basis of a much larger, more complex build in the future. Starting small is still expensive though, I imagine a larger system will cost thousands.

I'm the same way, enclosure layout is like art to me. I remember spending a few hours just arranging my bromeliads in my enclosure. I'd love to make a mechanically+biologically filtered water feature one day.

Oh, absolutely! This is a perfect outlet for my creative urges. There's nothing I love more than living art, and I'm definitely the sort of person that will sit quietly for hours tending plants and animals and rearranging things. I love how the hobby is constantly evolving, and I want to be on the cutting edge of the technology available!

I’m actually building my dart tank with a recirculating waterfall feature. I’m way over filtering the water though. Using a canister filter meant for 4 times the volume, in-line UV sterilizer, not to mention the 5 inches of matala filter media in the tank to provide more beneficial bacteria along with fish too. If this system works well, it will be the basis of a much larger, more complex build in the future. Starting small is still expensive though, I imagine a larger system will cost thousands.

I would love to pick your brain some time! I'm not prepared for something quite that elaborate, but would you mind if I PM'd you my proposal once I think it through a bit? I'm half asleep after a graveyard shift, and definitely not at my best! (I'll be throwing you into that conversation too James, haha!)

Ok next question right now I have a t5 5.0 do I need to upgrade the light? I have a feeling yes just want to double check

And yes, I'd definitely upgrade to a 10.0/12% Arcadia for a veiled. Sorry forthe thread hijack! Very excited :oops:

Oh, absolutely! This is a perfect outlet for my creative urges. There's nothing I love more than living art, and I'm definitely the sort of person that will sit quietly for hours tending plants and animals and rearranging things. I love how the hobby is constantly evolving, and I want to be on the cutting edge of the technology available!

I would love to pick your brain some time! I'm not prepared for something quite that elaborate, but would you mind if I PM'd you my proposal once I think it through a bit? I'm half asleep after a graveyard shift, and definitely not at my best! (I'll be throwing you into that conversation too James, haha!)

And yes, I'd definitely upgrade to a 10.0/12% Arcadia for a veiled. Sorry forthe thread hijack! Very excited :oops:
Haha hijack way, lots more ideas not to think over b4 starting. The waterfall sounds nice if I can figure out how to do that.

When I bought the light at the expo the seller told me a 5.0 is better then 10.0/12% because you don’t want to over expose your chameleon to uvb.

This is almost exactly what I had in mind, please lmk how it works. I think we talked about something like this a while back involving caiman lizards?

This sounds interesting. If you start a thread on it somewhere mind tagging/ sharing the link with me?

Sorry typed most of that one out before seeing the planter box mentioned. I use lifefard aquatics double threaded bulk heads, in my wood boxes and exo's. Exo's I just silicone in place, wood boxes get the bulk head silicone in place then I use the paint on flex seal inside the box to seal it and make a "slope" as best as possible into the bulk head.
Do you have a bucket under to collect the drainage?

Do you have a bucket under to collect the drainage?

Either a bucket or storage tote depending on how high the stand is. Blue's cage has cat litter boxes under it because of how short it is. I wish my house wasn't slab lol. So much so I told my wife next house we are looking for one with a crawl space so I can tie into the water and drainage lines below the house. I do put ball valves on under the box/ exo so I can turn off the flow when needed though. Lola's cage stays closed other then to drain it once a week but hers has hibiscus in it and her previous owner had her spayed. The rest of them have plants that aren't as water needy and stay open except to empty the drained water.

Back
Top Bottom