Bioactive bugs!

saradoggy10

Established Member
I am setting up my bioactive enclosure and am just enjoying every second of it. While I was burying a banana peel for them to eat, I noticed a new, silk like thing on the bottom right by the dirt. It wasn't really as well organized as a spider would do, and only a very small spider would have been able to make its way into the enclosure.
Right now I have in the enclosure:
Fruit flies (found their way in, as they do with nearly any house plant)
Springtails
Dwarf white isopods
earthworms

I'm not necessarily worried it's bad, I'm just super curious and excited to know what life is now in my cage.
I noticed it in my smaller cage which has a fancy leaf geranium, a pretty basic fern, and an orchid.

This is unrelated but I just planted a palm, a coleus wasabi, and a hibiscus in the bigger cage! Hopefully they thrive with the new fertilizer they're getting.

Could the web possibly be from spider mites? A google search should bring up what to look for- they can be quite the pest if they get out of control!

Okay it looks like spider mites and that's kinda spooky so I'll get started right away on treatment....
Any suggestions yourself?

I'd remove any plant they seem to be concentrated around before they spread further. I've never dealt with them in a terrarium setting, so I'm not sure what would be safe to treat the plant with if it's going back in... dish-soapy water might help, but it's not terribly effective by itself.

Spider mites don't do well in high humidity, so that may be a place to start!

I'd remove any plant they seem to be concentrated around before they spread further. I've never dealt with them in a terrarium setting, so I'm not sure what would be safe to treat the plant with if it's going back in... dish-soapy water might help, but it's not terribly effective by itself.

Spider mites don't do well in high humidity, so that may be a place to start!
I'll take it out right away for sure- I saw a treatment where you use peppers. Now the real question is I DO have potted plant pesticide. I could use it. I won't have a cham in the cage for the next month or two so do you think it might be okay by then?

Mold /fungus can also create a web like appearance on the soil.
I really hope it is that because that means the life in the cage is booming....
Unfortunately I destroyed the "web" while I was digging in a banana peel so I'll keep watch

I just found some more in my other enclosure! It's looking like it's not mites because I can't see any mites and none are on the leaves. Can anyone confirm that this is in fact fungus? It started to appear when I started misting my enclosure WAY more (the normal 2 times a day)
20200726_231505.jpg
20200726_231505.jpg

I cant tell from the pic (bad eyes), but your bioactive setup with cycle a bit. Different fungi will bloom and plants might mope a little, while everything gets settled. Totally normal, and fun to watch.

Certain foods, especially fruits, will encourage that white, fuzzy mold.

I cant tell from the pic (bad eyes), but your bioactive setup with cycle a bit. Different fungi will bloom and plants might mope a little, while everything gets settled. Totally normal, and fun to watch.

Well that explains it thank you! I do expect a big boom so I'll keep everything going as normal and cut down if I notice the same results in a week or so.

Well that explains it thank you! I do expect a big boom so I'll keep everything going as normal and cut down if I notice the same results in a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom