Bioactive bearded dragon enclosure!!!!

Yes! Give her all she needs to make her a happy girl. I don’t know about a humid hide though. I haven’t heard about giving beardies one and adults don’t shed like leopard geckos. Spike sheds in body parts…a leg one month, tail another, etc. and it takes a long time for the shed to fully release. I give a bath when his shed is starting to look loose and gently use a soft baby’s toothbrush in the same direction his scales go. I don’t like bathing him more than 1-2 times a week, so I’m between if he looks like he needs it, I’ll give his shedding area a little spray with water.
males snese it kinda threw me off too but its not gonna hurt to see if it helps🤷‍♂️

males snese it kinda threw me off too but its not gonna hurt to see if it helps🤷‍♂️
You’ll want to keep a close eye on your humidity level though. Beardies come from and need arid conditions. If your humidity gets too high, plus the intense heat they get for basking, you could risk a respiratory infection. Since their enclosures aren’t as well ventilated as our chameleons generally are, the risk increases. Plus, assuming Spike is an average beardie (don’t tell him I called him average), the only times he used his hides is when he’s getting ready to brumate and is brumating.

You’ll want to keep a close eye on your humidity level though. Beardies come from and need arid conditions. If your humidity gets too high, plus the intense heat they get for basking, you could risk a respiratory infection. Since their enclosures aren’t as well ventilated as our chameleons generally are, the risk increases. Plus, assuming Spike is an average beardie (don’t tell him I called him average), the only times he used his hides is when he’s getting ready to brumate and is brumating.
Ok!

Humid hides for beardies aren't unprecedented.
https://www.beardeddragon.org/threads/shedding.249639/#post-1892544
You can find many more discussions in their archives, or post a question about humid hides there.

Beardies do not shed like chameleons—it can take weeks in some cases, and even go back & forth between looking cloudy and then disappearing and then getting cloudy again.. Weekly soaks are good for a number of reasons, but IME, shedding is going to take as long as it takes. The only time I would be concerned is if layers of shed begin to build up.

Contrary to popular opinion, beardies aren't strictly arid—they're more semi-arid, and even live in some temperate and tropical zones.
The species’ habitats include temperate to tropical arid to semi-arid woodland, shrubland and hummock grassland (with scattered trees).
https://australian.museum/learn/animals/reptiles/central-bearded-dragon/
If you compare some maps of the range of Pogona vitticeps with maps of Australia's climate and humidity zones, you'll find that they're pretty hardy, and can do well almost anywhere.

Humidity in their enclosures can be similar to what it is in many/most homes.
Humidity on the cool side will always be higher than on the warm side—that's how humidity works.

Live plants can enhance a beardie enclosure as well, but be forewarned—they will eat, stomp, tear out by the roots, and otherwise destroy live plants any way they can. It's what they do.
I have many live plants in Stinkeye's enclosure, and yet the heat of his basking bulb can dry things out, so I mist by hand once daily.

Digital hygrometers/thermometers with probes to monitor conditions are better than analog/dial types.

Beardies still require ample ventilation. The reason many restrict it is to hold in temperatures.
Two vents on each side of the enclosure works well—near the bottom on the cool side, and near the top on the warm side. If that doesn't provide enough ventilation via chimney/stack effect, a single thermostatically-controlled muffin fan behind one vent on the warm side will likely do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom