Bio-active Enclosure!

Grainy86

Hey! Just wanted to show of my baby cham’s bio active enclosure. The dimensions are 22"L X 11.1"W X 25"H which is only temporary until he grows into a bigger cage!

Supplies:
-18.5 Gallon crescent cage from petsmart
-Josh’s frogs bio active mix for substrate
-Hydroton pebbles for the drainage layer
-literally a cut off bottle of water for the siphon to drain it. Later to add a better way of draining.
-100% silicone + bio active substrate + random ropes and twine I found in my garage for the vines and climbing twigs
-some stripped and sanitized sticks from outside
-100w daytime heat bulb
-Reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb (later to upgrade to a UVB bar at some point as this one isn’t working great)
-Mingdak LED full spectrum aquarium grow light
-the big dripper drip system (1 gallon, now upgraded to Reptizoo solo starter misting system)
-10 dairy cow starter isopods from Josh’s frogs
-springtail culture from Josh’s 🐸
-probably some other things I’m forgetting

Cham safe plants:
-Devil’s ivy (golden Pothos)
-2 bromeliads
-4 small coleus (unfortunately they died off from root rot but with my better draining system to come hopefully I’ll replant and they’ll do better)
-suggestions for more plants?

Attachments

• B8E7FBD8-D776-4E35-BED8-E62CA473962E.jpeg
    B8E7FBD8-D776-4E35-BED8-E62CA473962E.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 225
  • F06DC95D-C45B-45F3-86C3-B506E21519EA.jpeg
    F06DC95D-C45B-45F3-86C3-B506E21519EA.jpeg
    400 KB · Views: 510
  • BA567B30-8DBF-4140-B3EE-94BCBF357BBF.jpeg
    BA567B30-8DBF-4140-B3EE-94BCBF357BBF.jpeg
    409.5 KB · Views: 333
Hey! Just wanted to show of my baby cham’s bio active enclosure. The dimensions are 22"L X 11.1"W X 25"H which is only temporary until he grows into a bigger cage!

Supplies:
-18.5 Gallon crescent cage from petsmart
-Josh’s frogs bio active mix for substrate
-Hydroton pebbles for the drainage layer
-literally a cut off bottle of water for the siphon to drain it. Later to add a better way of draining.
-100% silicone + bio active substrate + random ropes and twine I found in my garage for the vines and climbing twigs
-some stripped and sanitized sticks from outside
-100w daytime heat bulb
-Reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb (later to upgrade to a UVB bar at some point as this one isn’t working great)
-Mingdak LED full spectrum aquarium grow light
-the big dripper drip system (1 gallon, now upgraded to Reptizoo solo starter misting system)
-10 dairy cow starter isopods from Josh’s frogs
-springtail culture from Josh’s 🐸
-probably some other things I’m forgetting

Cham safe plants:
-Devil’s ivy (golden Pothos)
-2 bromeliads
-4 small coleus (unfortunately they died off from root rot but with my better draining system to come hopefully I’ll replant and they’ll do better)
-suggestions for more plants?
Dope Enclosure

Sadly, those cages are way too small and don’t have enough airflow. With it being bioactive, that raises the humidity, and I’d be concerned about him developing a respiratory infection. He needs either a screen, hybrid, or glass terrarium with proper airflow (like an Exo Terra) ASAP

Sadly, those cages are way too small and don’t have enough airflow. With it being bioactive, that raises the humidity, and I’d be concerned about him developing a respiratory infection. He needs either a screen, hybrid, or glass terrarium with proper airflow (like an Exo Terra) ASAP
So people that keep their chameleons in 36x18x36 Exo Terra bioactive set ups are hurting their chameleon?

No, Exo Terras have a chimney effect (I recommended Exo Terras over this cage on my post above), which this cage does not.

This cage is only temporary until my new screen 2’ x 2’ x 4’ comes in. It’s already ordered, and his cage is beneath a overhead vent that blows constant air so I’m pretty sure the airflow is okay. Either way, he’s getting an upgrade very soon

Yes ErkleRose is right though. Glass enclosures can cause respiratory problems and eventually do. I agree screen or hybrid. Even the exo Terra can cause respiratory issues. And glass cage with bioactive setup is an increased risk for respiratory problems. Still a very cool set up though. I just have a question? Is the top of a crescent cage glass as well?

Yes ErkleRose is right though. Glass enclosures can cause respiratory problems and eventually do. I agree screen or hybrid. Even the exo Terra can cause respiratory issues. And glass cage with bioactive setup is an increased risk for respiratory problems. Still a very cool set up though. I just have a question? Is the top of a crescent cage glass as well?
Nope! It’s metal screen. I have a new screen cage coming soon but until this his cage is beneath a ceiling vent so I think he’s getting some good circulation.

I guess I'm a little lost here. Because I'm trying to understand how your metal screen enclosure doesn't get enough air flow?? I thought it was glass. So don't metal screens get the same air flow as aluminum screens? I'm not understanding how that enclosure can cause respiratory issues because it sounds like it has very good fresh airflow

I never said anything about an all-screen enclosure having air flow issues, but the crescent plastic terrarium from PetSmart. It doesn't have vents on the bottom of the front of the enclosure, like an Exo Terra does, therefore, it can't create a chimney effect to keep drawing in fresh air

I never said anything about an all-screen enclosure having air flow issues, but the crescent plastic terrarium from PetSmart. It doesn't have vents on the bottom of the front of the enclosure, like an Exo Terra does, therefore, it can't create a chimney effect to keep drawing in fresh air
Thank you for enlightening me on that. I completely understand now. 10-4 captain.

That is a nice little enclosure, but I’m glad to hear that you are getting a 2x2x4’ for your chameleon which is more appropriate for him. However, not to let that enclosure go to waste, a crested gecko may be right at home in there. Just tossing out an idea. ;)

Back
Top Bottom