Biden's bulb ban

Neapolitan

So its finally happening, a blanket ban of incandescent bulbs in the U.S. by the end of this year. Over the years I have experimented with different bulbs and found that halogen bulbs are by far the most efficient way to direct IR heat where you need it. I prefer mercury bulbs for the UV and heat, but I can no longer get those in WA state. Switching to ceramic bulbs will use more energy because you can not direct the heat as well. I use MH in larger enclosures, but they still need supplemented with small halogens at times. Also, the smaller 25watt to 50 watt halogen candle warmer bulbs are indispensable in some of my smaller enclosures. I'd like to hear the thoughts of others on this.

The only real incandescent bulbs I could find lately were some A15 from 1000bulbs and they were iffy quality and small. Is halogen included in the ban? If so, RIP…

The only real incandescent bulbs I could find lately were some A15 from 1000bulbs and they were iffy quality and small. Is halogen included in the ban? If so, RIP…

I'm having trouble finding info. Any bulbs that put out less than 45 lumen per watt, so basically any and all heat bulbs and incandescent, including halogens. Hopefully there will be some exemptions. If not some lawsuits will need to be filed. Bulbs must be pulled off the shelves by July 2023

https://www.npr.org/2022/04/26/1094871850/light-bulbs-led-energy-incandescent

Last edited:
It would be a problem if halogen and incandescents are totally banned. There the only reliable source of infrared-A, which creates superior deep tissue heating compared to ceramic heaters (almost entirely IR-C) and deep heat projectors (some IR-B and C, but little IR-A)

It would be a problem if halogen and incandescents are totally banned. There the only reliable source of infrared-A, which creates superior deep tissue heating compared to ceramic heaters (almost entirely IR-C) and deep heat projectors (some IR-B and C, but little IR-A)

Yea. Even if they exempt reptile bulbs, I have found that the best halogens are ones not made for that purpose. It comes down to reflector design. The problem is that the rules are over simplified. They only talk about lumens, which is specific to the visible light spectrum and does not inclued IR or UV. If they just widened efficiency standards to encompass those spectra it would make sense. I need to find the actual legislation and read it. I don't know why its so hard to find.

Also, I started looking in to far IR LEDs and considered the single wavelength to potentially be a problem. You seem to be touching on that. There are UVB LEDs. I'm not sure how well they work though.

Yea. Even if they exempt reptile bulbs, I have found that the best halogens are ones not made for that purpose. It comes down to reflector design. The problem is that the rules are over simplified. They only talk about lumens, which is specific to the visible light spectrum and does not inclued IR or UV. If they just widened efficiency standards to encompass those spectra it would make sense. I need to find the actual legislation and read it. I don't know why its so hard to find.

Also, I started looking in to far IR LEDs and considered the single wavelength to potentially be a problem. You seem to be touching on that. There are UVB LEDs. I'm not sure how well they work though.
I’m not surprised it’s hard to find. It’s probably buried in a 2000 page document like the Lacey act was

Our government working around us instead of with us I suppose. And that’s a non-partisan description of the lot of them.

These should have been banned 10 years ago, although there's no cheap substitute for a 60 watt chameleon heater bulb

These should have been banned 10 years ago, although there's no cheap substitute for a 60 watt chameleon heater bulb

10 years ago, we just had cfl's, and they are worse for the environment when you throw them away. Yes we had leds, but they were $5 or more a bulb, and no they never last "10 years". How may do you have from 5-10 years ago that are still working? Even if you got a cfl or led 5-10 years ago, good luck connecting a bunch on a single breaker. They all ended up strobing. Hell im still trying to find a set that works with my buddies two side garage lanterns. You install one, works great, you install one on the other side, they either blink, one goes really dim, or they alternate which one lights.

I dont know what im going to do, buy a 5 year supply of the good halogens i use? Then what?

Here is my answer so far, i have 14 "boiler chicken" bulbs from a few years ago that i havent started using till my string of 35 watt halogens dies. And yes it was a discontinued fire sale...

IMG_20220428_073757.jpg

There were big discussions in various reef forums last year when this was just starting up, as loads of reef owners, myself included, use T5's and other specialty bulbs.
In one of the forums someone dropped a link (I'll see if I can find it) that stated that specialty bulbs, such as those used for animals, are exempt.

Back
Top Bottom