Best way to handle a veiled chameleon?

Jondawson95

I just got a 5 month old veiled chameleon and I let him get use to his home for the past 2 weeks sometimes he will let me pick him up and hold him but other times he's like Jason Bourne and won't let me so I have done some reading on here about what to do and I've seen that people generally have 2 trains of thoughts about this, 1) just go in there and get him and once you have him try to give him a treat and sooner then later he will learn you're a friend or 2) let him come to you because some of them will never like to be held period. So someone that has experience with veiled chameleons can you give me some advice about how to go about this?
Thank you!!

Veiled here! I've had five, and I stick with the "let them come to you" method. The thing about Chameleons is that they don't usually like people, so you have to take baby steps with them and early socialization is best.
Start by just spending time in the same room as him. If you have paperwork to do, grab a chair and a clipboard and sit by his enclosure while you do it. I all of my "babies" in my room, so they spend a lot of time with me no matter what.
Once he feels comfortable with you just being around him and near his enclosure, try hand feeding. I know, it's not for everyone, but do it for the sake of your cham. If you have crickets, grab them by the leg and offer then to him. Worms and other feeders you can hold in the palm of your hand. If he doesn't show interest at first and backs away from you, don't worry, just try again next time. This point of this is for him to see that you are a FOOD SOURCE, and this is key.
Later you can start to offer you arm or fingers. Never ever grab your chameleon and force him out (unless of course there is a medical emergency, then use common sense). Think about it: how would you feel if you were comfortable in your bed and all of a sudden some huge creature grabs and drags you out. Probably wouldn't like that too much, huh? If he wants to be handled, he will approach you. If not, then let him be. Remember that chameleons are more of pets to watch as opposed to handle.

The goal here is basically to avoid unnecessary stress and prevent injury. Just take it slow and have good patience.

I have a female veiled... since Dec. My first chameleon :) When I first started feeding her, she would only eat crickets. And was not interested in being my friend. I let her settle in - it takes longer than 2 weeks, I think. I offered her mealworms (because i didnt know any better at the time) and at first she was not interested but it wiggled and all of a sudden she tried it and then gobbled them all down. I thought it was so exciting that I kept feeding her... she ate them right out of my hand. Then... like a child who ate a wheelbarrow full of junk food and then rode the teacup ride... she hung upside down and vomited the whole mess. Maybe you shouldn't take advice from me :LOL:

Seriously, tho... each cham is different with very different personalities. What works for one, may not work for another. Your cham may never warm up to you.

But its def worth trying. I second what @K_Wolf said. Take your time. Be consistant and be patient. My arm fell asleep a few times holding out a blue horned worm hoping she would take it from my hand. She and I have a very fun and mutually beneficial relationship now.

Ive had/have yemen, 1stly yemen hissy fits are just common practice lol! They do become very viv defensive ive found with most of mine outside of viv they are actually alot calmer. 1 of mine was far worse than others best way was to let her climb onto a stick to come out rather than putting a hand in viv, but my others all have been pretty good see me.. think food & boom happy to come out. Hand feeding & being patient really is key with them but using food & a stick can be useful at 1st if they are a real paddy thrower lol

@opheliaeatsbugs When in december? Got mine around that same time too. Fortunately I've never had to deal with cham vomit, never even considered the fact that it's a possibility. I got mine a few days after christmas...

December 1st. Thank the Chameleon Gods that Opehlia is smarter than I am :D She has somehow figured out a way to survive me for 5 months :notworthy: I haven't fed (and won't feed) her mealworms ever again - there are so many other better options. She ate waaaaaay too many, turned green :LOL:, hung upside down, jerked back and forth (at that moment I thought she was broken for sure) and forced/vomited the pile of mealworms out of her tummy :eek: She's amazing. I love her :love: Of course I took a picture of it. Enjoy :ROFLMAO:
20161207_121302.jpg

Back
Top Bottom