Best roaches to breed

Pearl Fields

Avid Member
I am REALLY wanting to quit ever going to petco for crickets again after my friend told me (when she asked about how the chameleon was doing there) that the employee or whatever said “it died of starvation, but it’s ok, we’ll just get another one” ?????? and honestly I’m not surprised because at the age they sell the chams there, (I would estimate less than a month) they look so small I think they are still at the age where they need practically constant access to food.

so what are some good roaches to breed that are preferably pretty easy to keep?? Thanks!!

discoids and dubia are the top ones. They both are setup the say (warm compost heap with egg cartons, then just throw in all your almost expired veggies/peels). Discoids bread a bit slower, and get a bit bigger, but they are legal in all states. Dubia are illegal in a few because the can live outdoors.

discoids and dubia are the top ones. They both are setup the say (warm compost heap with egg cartons, then just throw in all your almost expired veggies/peels). Discoids bread a bit slower, and get a bit bigger, but they are legal in all states. Dubia are illegal in a few because the can live outdoors.
Know any others? I do know about dubia and discoids but if there are some even better... ?

There are tons to choose from. Orangeheads or any eublaberus(ivory/pantanal/sixspot make for great feeders. Discoids or any blaberus(dusky cave/deaths head/etc). My favorite, red runners for a cricket replacement. Or you could do something a little more unique like something from the pycnoscelus genus(surinam/shadow/ember/etc)

There are tons to choose from. Orangeheads or any eublaberus(ivory/pantanal/sixspot make for great feeders. Discoids or any blaberus(dusky cave/deaths head/etc). My favorite, red runners for a cricket replacement. Or you could do something a little more unique like something from the pycnoscelus genus(surinam/shadow/ember/etc)
Thanks! I’ll look into these and see if any would be doable.

Thanks! I’ll look into these and see if any would be doable.
I seem to have found a couple. Shadow roach and ivory head roach are two that sound good (and look cool?) but any advice on how to keep these?? Not too expensively I mean??? Cause I’m only 12 and yeah I don’t have a lot of money to spend and I doubt my parents want to spend much money on roach breeding.

I seem to have found a couple. Shadow roach and ivory head roach are two that sound good (and look cool?) but any advice on how to keep these?? Not too expensively I mean??? Cause I’m only 12 and yeah I don’t have a lot of money to spend and I doubt my parents want to spend much money on roach breeding.
Of course, @jamest0o0 is the bug lord and can best answer this question. However, I would think that they can be kept like other roaches. A big plastic bin (clear sided) with ventilation added, some paper towel or tp tubes for them to hide in and vegetables and greens to feed. Will maybe need a heat mat, which would probably be the most expensive item (aside from the roaches). If the roaches are climbers, is best to use a bin that has a gasket seal lid. I found some cheap Sterilite gasket bins at Walmart last week.

Of course, @jamest0o0 is the bug lord and can best answer this question. However, I would think that they can be kept like other roaches. A big plastic bin (clear sided) with ventilation added, some paper towel or tp tubes for them to hide in and vegetables and greens to feed. Will maybe need a heat mat, which would probably be the most expensive item (aside from the roaches). If the roaches are climbers, is best to use a bin that has a gasket seal lid. I found some cheap Sterilite gasket bins at Walmart last week.
Yeah I think these ones aren’t climbers really. From what I’ve researched they can’t climb smooth surfaces. Which is good. Green banana roaches would be cool but they can go really fast and climb smooth surfaces and i think ?? they can fly. ?
but anyway, back to the actual topic. Thanks for the feedback

Hmm... just thought of another question if anyone knows the answer. Is it required to keep these roaches on some sort of substrate or dirt or anything?? ??

Yeah I think these ones aren’t climbers really. From what I’ve researched they can’t climb smooth surfaces. Which is good. Green banana roaches would be cool but they can go really fast and climb smooth surfaces and i think ?? they can fly. ?
but anyway, back to the actual topic. Thanks for the feedback
Yes, I really like the green banana roaches (Pretty!) but aren’t able to have them. Instead I got some Surinam from James and just waiting for them to reproduce enough to use as feeders.
Hmm... just thought of another question if anyone knows the answer. Is it required to keep these roaches on some sort of substrate or dirt or anything?? ??
No idea, but I have made my roach bins bioactive with some coco coir and a small bit of organic soil with dwarf white isopods and springtails as clean up crew.

Yes, I really like the green banana roaches (Pretty!) but aren’t able to have them. Instead I got some Surinam from James and just waiting for them to reproduce enough to use as feeders.

No idea, but I have made my roach bins bioactive with some coco coir and a small bit of organic soil with dwarf white isopods and springtails as clean up crew.
I feel like that would probably be the best way to do it but then there goes another 50 dollars. ?

The bin needs to be clear sided? Curious cause I bought a blue rubbermaid bin :(

If you'd like, I could work out a little variety pack for you to see what you like and give you info regarding their care (y)

Shadow and ivory roaches really benefit from substrate on the slightly moist side.
Yes that would be great!!!! What’s in a variety pack?? And thanks regarding the care part!!!

Back
Top Bottom